The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2002, 09:38 PM   #1
chaim

Finally replaced my shotgun

I had to sell my Mossberg 500 a couple months ago due to financial trouble (unemployment). Now I am working steadily and I've bought a couple handguns I've been wanting so I finally replaced my Mossy. It was between this, buying a Bersa Thunder in .380 or spending a bunch more and finally getting the Mini-14 I've wanted for a while (or waiting about a month for a gunshow and getting a used Mini for just a little more). I (wisely I hope) opted for replacing the shotgun since I am currently without and I do have several pistols, revolvers and a few rifles.

Instead of another Mossberg (after selling it less than a year after buying it for $100 less than I paid, buying one at full price was a little too much) I got a Remington 870. I put some money down on it so I won't have it for a few days (I'm waiting for a paycheck to clear the bank but I wanted to be sure they wouldn't sell it so I put it on layaway at Dick's Sporting Goods). It is a wood gun (I like wood much better than plastic on long guns), has a 20" smooth barrel and rifle sights. It is one of the Express models. Don't know how many rounds it holds but in a shotgun I doubt that more than one or two would be needed so I'm not too worried, and besides I could always buy a mag extension if I want to. I paid just a hair under $250 (around here that is a good price, not sure about elsewhere).

I found that it seems to feel much more solid than my Mossberg. I also see that they have great reputations here on the TFL shotgun forum. I never had trouble with my Mossy but I think the Remington will still be a bit better.

I plan to buy a longer barrel as well in a few months to use it to start skeet and trap shooting.

Any comments or advice?
Old April 26, 2002, 10:12 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Search www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com when you want to get the barrel. Lots cheaper through these guys. You made a good choice. There's nothing inherintly wrong with the mossy, but the Remington feels more solid, rattles less, seems easier to point and handle, and has a safety in the 'right' place.

IMNTBHO, you should not opt for a sidesaddle, an extended magazine, or anything else like this. If you must, buy one of them cheap stock shell carriers.

One essential accessory is a sling. You might have to mount (or have mounted) a swivel in the stock and another on the magazine cap. If you ever have to carry the gun anywhere, you'll appreciate this.
Old April 27, 2002, 01:34 AM   #3
chaim

Quote:
There's nothing inherintly wrong with the mossy, but the Remington feels more solid, rattles less, seems easier to point and handle, and has a safety in the 'right' place
Only one thing I must disagree with.

The safety on the Mossberg was in a MUCH better place. The safety on the Remington is the more typical button on the receiver. Yes, I am used to this as it is on several of my rifles but it isn't the most natural place for it. The safety on the Mossy was on the tang (I think I got the word right, I'm not as up on long gun terminology as I am on handgun terminology), the thumb came to it very naturally.

As far as a sling, I have several. I did keep the slings I bought for the Mossberg when I sold the gun and I actually got several before I found one that would fit and feel right so I'm sure one will be good for the Remington. I didn't notice if it came with the sling swivels like the Mossberg or not (if not I've seen tons of them as accessories so it souldn't be a problem- just an excuse for Remington to get a couple extra bucks out of us).
Old April 27, 2002, 05:42 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats!! You made a good move. I'll be on Trap 8 at PGC at 10 AM this day. Come on down. I'll be the big old guy in jeans and black T shirt with an 870 TB and a big grin...
Old April 27, 2002, 01:33 PM   #5
Badger Arms

Chaim.

I've heard people before who say they don't like the position of the safety on the Remington. It must be personal preference. I prefer the arrangement of the Ithaca first. The slide release and the safety are both within reach of my trigger finger. I have to awkwardly grab the Remington receiver to release the slide, but I can still reach it with just a little more effort. The slide release on the Mossy is in an alien position for me. That's the primary reason I don't like the Winchester either.

I guess this is what comes from being raised with the 1100 and 870.
Old April 27, 2002, 11:58 PM   #6
chaim

Dave,

I didn't see your post until a bit past midnight so I didn't make it. I'd be happy to meet you there sometime after I pick up the gun though (I have it on layaway right now while waiting for a check to clear).

BTW- do they allow 20" barrel guns on the trap range (and are they effective)? I do eventually want to buy an additional long barrel for it so it is more appropriate for trap but for now it will only have the 20".
Old April 28, 2002, 05:57 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

We'll get it together sometime, Homeguy. PGC forbids bbls under 23","Due to the increased blast and noise". They allow ported bbls, so they're not consistent.

OTOH, AGC allows any legal bbl. Sundays at noon, and Wendsdays at 4 PM are the trap range hours. The Geezer Squad shoots there at noon on Wendsdays, but that may be hard for you to make.

Both ranges restrict ammo to 3 dram or less, 7 1/2 shot or smaller.

As for effectiveness, short bbls are a bit harder for most people to hit with, but not by that much. Scores with Frankenstein run a bird or two less per 25 than with my TB. The sights may be more of a prob. We'll see...