The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2017, 08:58 PM   #1
pgb205

Trigger not resetting fully when firing

Just built my first AR15. Function check passes when dry firing, but at the range I went through about 70 rounds and have encountered a problem after each round, which was as follows:

I chamber a round and fire. Rifle picks up the next round and it's now in the chamber. The bolt is in the correct position as well, I am unable to push forward assist at all. The trigger is dead however, and the only way to fire is to nudge the trigger forward until I hear a click. It takes only the slightest of push to have the trigger complete it's reset. After that I can fire just fine.

As I stated before I am unable to re-create this when dry firing. I fire, manually cycle the rifle using the charging handle, and I am able to 'fire' again.

I have attached some pictures of the trigger group; I am unable to see anything amiss myself.

I'd be interested in any ideas that people can give me to work through.

thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171203_203906.jpg (40.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_203940.jpg (41.0 KB, 41 views)
Old December 3, 2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Mobuck

Sticking/binding disconnector or improperly assembled disconnector spring.
Old December 3, 2017, 10:46 PM   #3
turtlehead

Mobuck, does that kind of thing happen if the spring is not fat side down?
Old December 3, 2017, 11:27 PM   #4
ed308

Check the springs. The trigger spring looks correct but the hammer spring seems to be under and not on top of the trigger pin. Installing it corrently will increase the tension which will provide more force.

It's easy to make a mistake installing the springs. See the attach video and note the position of the hammer spring on top of the pin that holds the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MA5OqTsWU

Last edited by ed308; December 3, 2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old December 4, 2017, 08:12 AM   #5
Chainsaw.

Sounds like the trigger spring is in upside down, wont push the trigger all the way forward allowing the disconnecter to...disconnect.
Old December 4, 2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Mobuck

"Mobuck, does that kind of thing happen if the spring is not fat side down?"

In my experience, yes, it can.
Old December 6, 2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Metal god

I think ed308 has the correct answer . You can clearly see the right side of the hammer spring is not up on the trigger pin . You can tell because if you look at the second picture , the left side is clearly up and over the trigger pin . Both sides should look the same pretty much . My guess is this may be causing the trigger to drift over to the right and is now rubbing on the lower and causing to much pressure on the trigger and not allowing it to move fully forward .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 9, 2017, 02:26 PM   #8
pgb205

I've re-assembled the trigger to make sure that the long legs of the hammer are on top of trigger pin. But the problem was still present.
I've happened upon youtube video where person claimed that new triggers can have burrs which make hammer catch on disconnect. I've did some polishing with a sand-paper and the problem went away--at least after putting 60 rounds at the range today.

thank you all for your help and hopefully my experience helps someone else in the future.
Old December 9, 2017, 02:48 PM   #9
Metal god

Cool glad you figured it out . With the spring the way it was I don't think anyone was ready to suggest anything else until that was worked out . It's hard to look for other problems when there's a major one looking you in the face .

Just to make sure you only "lightly" sanded with a stone or paper on a block ? The heat treatment on the FCG is very shallow and you can sand right through it if not careful especially the edges if you're just using your finger . The trigger will still work but it should wear faster in that case .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 9, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 03:21 PM   #10
stagpanther

Is this an adjustable or "run-of-the-mill" non-adjustable mil-spec trigger (hard to tell from the pics)? My WA quess is that between your sear timing and overtravel your trigger is not getting enough "rockering" to allow enough movement to reset--may or may not be just the disconnector alone. Springs look OK to me.
Old December 9, 2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Metal god

Stag I missed it to on my first look see . The right hammer spring is not up on the trigger like it should be . The OP updated today and fixed that and believes it was actually very rough cut mating surfaces of the FCG .

Old December 9, 2017, 03:54 PM   #12
stagpanther

Right you are--missed that , though that may also prevent the "rockering" necessary for reset. ; )
Old December 9, 2017, 09:24 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Check the springs. The trigger spring looks correct but the hammer spring seems to be under and not on top of the trigger pin. Installing it corrently will increase the tension which will provide more force.
This will do it. +1