The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2020, 10:39 PM   #1
Road_Clam

Just when you think you've shot every niche semi..

1911 in 9mm , 1911 LS in 10mm , Beretta 92FS , Glock G22 , DE44 , Uzi pistol , FNX45T , MKIII .22LR, GP100 , and a 460 mag is my current inventory.

I was content for many years with all these, there was NO way I had any more "itches" to scratch . Then I had a gun club buddy rudely insist I shoot his Sig P226 .

and a month later along comes a very nice pre-owned P226 Elite :

The struggle is SO real , no "fanboy" of just one, I love 'em all !
Old December 22, 2020, 11:04 PM   #2
TXAZ

Congrats!

I have a 226 and it’s one accurate / smooth shooter!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 23, 2020, 06:19 AM   #3
gonzogeezer

I prefer SIG Classic.

- gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
Old December 23, 2020, 09:26 PM   #4
Road_Clam

gonzogeezer, I had the opportunity to shoot a late 1980's true German Sig P226 same as yours that's had well over 10,000 rounds through it and has functioned flawlessly with zero component failures. Honestly the German Sig felt and shot same as my almost brand new Elite. The only visable wear was on the rails and at the slide muzzle tip from many holsterings. The slide looks somewhat different than my new Elite. I was also educated on the much prized "Zipper" type mags , VERY cool looking mags !

On a side note I found out today that my grips are aluminum ! It was about 35F today and I could not understand why my hands felt colder than usual. Now I know why.
Old December 24, 2020, 02:15 AM   #5
hemiram

I had avoided Sig guns for many years. I fired one of the original Browning BDA .45's (P220) and didn't fall in love or feel anything close to wanting one. Skip ahead about 35 years and a friend bought a LEO trade in P226, and I was kind of "I like this, a lot!", and soon had ordered my first Sig, a trade in P220 DAK that was too nice and too cheap to pass up. I didn't know it had been worked on extensively and bought a P229 DAK, which had a really bad trigger compared to my P220, so it was gone soon. I bought a trade in P226, an Ex-NYPD DAO gun I converted to DA/SA, and then bought a P226 SS Elite, and lastly a CPO P229 that appears brand new in every way. If I could have found one I liked I would buy an SSElite P229, but all I could find are ones in .40 and I'm done with it. That future P229 SSE is one of the last guns that will complete my collection. I'm down to a very few to go, the P229 SSE, an S&W 686 4", an S&W 28-2 that is rough enough to send and have it NP3'ed or electroless nickeled, a CZ Sp-01, a nice Beretta 92, and that's about it.
Old December 24, 2020, 02:46 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I fired one of the original Browning BDA .45's (P220) and didn't fall in love or feel anything close to wanting one.
I am on the other side of that coin. I bought a BDA 45 in 1980, and fell so much in love with it that's I've never had a need or desire for any of the other later Sig P-series pistols. I've shot several in 9mm, and .357 Sig, can't find fault with them because they basically are the same as the BDA with a few minor tweaks, but they just don't do anything for me that my BDA doesn't do.
Old December 24, 2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Road_Clam

And actually when i comment my P226 as being "new" , mine is actually a 2009 production by the documents. Some very interesting evolvment history (as is the case with most legacy gun builders)

https://www.realgunreviews.com/is-my...really-german/