The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 20, 2016, 04:27 PM   #1
adamBomb

Night stand/cabinet gun safe

I have a Fas1safe and its currently in my closet but I think I want to get a nightstand and put my fas1 safe next to my bed in the night stand.

So, I am looking for a night stand that has a drawer with lock/key that I could put the safe in (I have kids ages 3 and 5 at home). That way, each night I would unlock the drawer and have quick access to the safe/gun. But when I leave the house, the drawer would be locked so the kids wouldnt even have access to the safe to try to pick at it. I am being paranoid but they are two boys and would rather be extra safe then have an accident. I know I could just put my safe under the bed or something but I need a nightstand for my books/lamp anyway so I am killing two birds with one stone here.

Or I was going to get just a regular night stand and using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

Last edited by adamBomb; March 20, 2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old March 20, 2016, 06:08 PM   #2
sacrittenden

I have a Speedvault that I got from Costco mounted iny bedroom closet. Allows quick access and plenty of security from the wee ones. I considered mounting it closer to the bed but prefer it being out of sight. My closet is next to the bed anyway.
Old March 23, 2016, 09:46 AM   #3
jmhyer

Personally, I think the safe alone is sufficient for your stated purpose. No need for a lockable drawer as long as the safe is locked.
Old March 23, 2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Doyle

I use a Stack On digital drawer safe for that purpose. It uses either a key or a 4 digit push lock (that I can open in total darkness) and it opens vertically to facilitate drawer use. It isn't meant to stop a thief - just a curious child.
Old March 23, 2016, 06:26 PM   #5
FAS1

I know you are just trying to keep your kids hands off when you are not there. If you find something you like for a nightstand, but maybe the door doesn't have a lock, you can add a cam lock pretty easy to most doors/drawers.

Grainger Cam Locks

Do you have the optional In&Out lock on your safe?
Old March 24, 2016, 08:12 AM   #6
adamBomb

Quote:
Do you have the optional In&Out lock on your safe?
I do and could probably just use that to solve my problem. I had forgotten it was on there since its up in my closet. One of the reasons I bought the FAS1 over other brands was because of that feature. Very useful. More than likely I just need to get a night stand that holds the safe and bolt it in there. I have already drilled holes in it for my closet so they should work. Then I would just use the key when I leave the house so that the kids cant open it without it and unlock when I go to bed - a pretty easy routine and right now I open the safe to practice every night before bed anyway.
Old March 24, 2016, 08:27 AM   #7
rtpzwms

I put one of these in my old home. With a picture over it the kids wouldn't know its there.
Old March 24, 2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

I'm a little confused.

Could you explain why the safe alone is not obstacle enough for the kids?

Do you want to disguise its very existence or do you feel that if they knew where the safe was, they'd know or work out how to open it?
Old March 24, 2016, 09:00 AM   #9
Doyle

Pond, I think he was looking for "quick access" storage for his HD handgun.
Old March 24, 2016, 09:37 AM   #10
adamBomb

Quote:
Do you want to disguise its very existence
Pretty much this. I currently have it in my closet and they cannot access it. However, from a SD perspective, it would be better if I could access it from my bed. I just dont want them messing with it. i was thinking if I had a locked night stand they wouldn't even be able to see it. then at night I would unlock the night stand and have quick access to my safe. In the morning I would lock the night stand back up. Even if I forgot, the gun would still be in the safe and I trust the safe. My oldest is 5 and any lock will prevent him from access for now.
Old March 24, 2016, 09:59 AM   #11
FAS1

Quote:
I do and could probably just use that to solve my problem.
Keep in mind, that it can mounted horizontally as well. It might be easier if you find something like this. It was just a mock up with a prototype several years ago. I was looking to see how it would work if I added a piece of wood under the drawer on my nightstand to attach the safe to. You could also set it back a little so it's not as easy to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129_2959_opt.jpg (31.7 KB, 17 views)