The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 12, 2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Which tac'-light for weaver rail on a pistol?

Fishing for information and perspectives here.... I had posted more specific thread, but got no takers, so trying a different tack.

It is hard to find weapon lights here, and indeed around Europe. The number of countries where a light might be applicable (i.e. HD/SD) on a weapon is relatively low, and so it seems such lights are not widely available. Those that are around are usually EXPENSIVE, such as many shown on the EU Brownells sites!!

I've recently found two that would be acceptable in cost.

One is the Streamlight TLR-3 (125 lumens, £99). The other is the Nextorch WL10 "Executor" (). The latter produces 230 lumens and only costs £60.

These are slim in profile and light with a toggle switch that users seem to like and whilst they are also sold in the US on sites light Optics Planet, they only sell for about $40!!

So, needless to say they are not high-end, but then most reviews I've read have been pretty positive about the build, only complaining about the rail fastening working loose under recoil which thread lock can fix.

Streamlight being a US brand, and US prices being what they are, I'm guessing most members would instinctively be drawn to the TLR of the two.

Yet these Nextorch lights seem pretty OK, I don't have US prices and I don't live there so I've phrased my question carefully:

Why shouldn't I buy the Nextorch?
Old March 13, 2016, 03:32 PM   #2
2damnold4this

I'd be interested to see how the beam compares with other lights at different distances.
Old March 13, 2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

The Nextorch vids I've seen suggest a potent spotlight effect with less intense illumination out to about 15 degrees in all directions from the centreline.

230 Lumens means 80min burn time.

I can't comment on the TLR3: I've not looked yet.
Old March 13, 2016, 06:32 PM   #4
9x45

I use the Insight M3, no longer made, but you can find them on Ebay. Easy on off, about 150 lumins, hold on or flicker switch