The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 6, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Tucker 1371

Best Options For Suppressing an M1A

What muzzle brake/suppressor combinations work best for the M1A? Weight and length are a factor.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old May 6, 2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Theohazard

I don't have any personal experience suppressimg an M1A, but -- from what I hear -- it's not a popular suppressor host. Apparently it's much louder when suppressed than most other platforms, and you get significant blowback that batters the op rod. I know people have fixed the blowback issue with aftermarket adjustable gas plugs, though.

Also, the thread pattern on an M1A is non-standard and any mount would have to index off the muzzle. So you'd either need to find a silencer from a company that offers mounts for the M1A (AAC and YHM come to mind) or get an adapter that puts it to 5/8x24 and gives you a shoulder.

If this is your first silencer I'd suggest buying it for a different host: The AR platform suppresses very well and often doesn't require any modifications to run suppressed. But if you're set on suppressing your M1A, I know plenty of other people have done it, so you might want to check out an M1A-specific forum to see what issues they ran into.
Old May 6, 2014, 02:45 PM   #3
SR420

My first experience with suppressing the M14/M1A was at the SilencerTests shoot held in Taccoa, GA. YOUTUBE VIDEO

I am using a Smith Ent./Fisher .30 caliber suppressor made for the M14. My can was recently updated to SEI's new WindTalker specifications. I use a direct connect (DC) Vortex flash hider, but they also have DC Good Iron muzzle brakes. I have installed a DC Vortex on my 7.62x39 AK, and my 5.56mm NATO AR so I can also run the .30 caliber can on these rifles. My experience over the last few years has been great. It's no louder than any other suppressed piston driven .308 rifle, and it's Hollywood quiet with subsonic ammo. I do not use an adjustable gas plug, but I do use SEI's x-tra volume SOCOM gas plug. Gas blowback is noticeable, but it can be deflected away from the shooter. I have not seen any accelerated wear to the op rod, or any other part because the gas system is self regulating.

This .30 caliber suppressor is my first, and only suppressor... I wish I had purchased it years earlier.
It's kind of long & heavy, so it can be used as a billy club when not attached to a rifle

Old May 7, 2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

That stock is awfully familiar...

I've been piddling with the idea for a while now, how much did your suppressor run you?
Old May 8, 2014, 07:15 AM   #5
SR420

I'm glad that you like the Rogue.

I think I spent about $1K plus tax stamp.

Rainier Arms has the best price right now.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

I love it... But in my infinite wisdom I decided to ignore your advice and shoot it left handed... Now I have a couple nice charging handle shaped scabs on my jaw lol.

I'm going to look into the suppressor but I think a TA11E ACOG is fist on my list of doodads to purchase. It's just so compact and balanced now a suppressor seems like a perfect idea for a future upgrade.
Old May 8, 2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

They take quite a while to get so buy the suppressor now.