The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 1, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Shooting C&R in the cold and the snow

So who is shooting and if not why not. If you don't practice when the weather is bad do you think you will be able to shoot worth a hill of beans if the flag goes up and its not shirt sleeve weather.

I hunt in the snow so I might as well practice in the snow and back when the Russians and Swiss were shooting the M38 and the K31 they were doing it in the snow. Kind of tickles me to know that the old guns can still do it. It was only 26 yards but it was offhand.

This next target was shot 10:30 AM -7 degrees with an 8mph wind from behind me. Nearly froze my patootie and other sensitive parts. Should have dressed better.

So come on all you old gun shooters, lets have a little fun and see if you can shoot in bad weather like great grand daddy had to.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 1, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
SC4006

Ive been shooting my newly aquired mn 91/30 about once a week in this cold new hampshire weather. I've lived in NH all of my life so I've gotten used to cold weather, unless it's below 0 then shooting accurately gets a little difficult.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My kind of guy, put up a target and shoot a 25 yard offhand and maybe we can get the sharpshooters to come out of the woodwork and have some winter fun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--