The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
brokenanew

OAL Horndady 55 gr spt to cannelure is 2.000?!

For my plinking loads I'm crimping at the cannelure but OAL is measuring anywhere from 2.200 to 2.215 to crimp. IS this safe? I would assumes so becuase its at the crimp but what do u guys think? For an ar15
Old September 15, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
THORN74

I don't reload 5.56 yet but I would ignore the cannelure.... I ignore it all the time on 30-06. They shoot just fine in my m1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old September 15, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
brokenanew

I would but its for an AR15 and for some reason I will have a bullet get pushed back and spill some powder in the chamber(not fun to clean) if I dont crimp on the cannelure. and thats nearly max crimp not on the cannelure and its still pushes a bullet back. everynow and then. not all the time

but if I am using SMKS or VMaxs or any good bullet. no problems. just on the bulk hornady plinking stuff does the prob occur and only when firing. I can handle cycle them fine.

Now that I think about it I think it does it in one particular magazine. I might have to test that.... will let you know. thanks!!
Old September 15, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Adamantium

Crimp on the cannelure if you are having a problem otherwise. When you talk about getting between 2.200 and 2.215 are you adjusting your seating die? If you want to crimp you are going to need to trim all your brass to the same length. That OAL is fine. Recommended OAL isn't a written in stone type thing, use what works in your gun.
Old September 15, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

OAL is not nearly as critical regarding pressure in rifle cartridges as it is in much smaller pistol cartridges with faster powders. 2.200 is a common OAL and should be fine with a 55 gr bullet. I doubt even at that the bullet is yet protruding below the neck.

At any rate a 0.060" deeper seating is not reducing the overall case volume noticeably.