The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
sigshepardo

8mm Mauser loads

Just bought some RCBS 8x57 dies for my 1943 German Kar98k. I am wanting to load for it. What are you favorite loads for this classic rifle?
Old December 31, 2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Civil War Life

I just bought a Gew 88 Commission Rifle. It is 8 mm but not as strong as yours so I load it a bit light. I am using a 170 gr. Hornady Round Nose bullet with 35 grains of IMR 3031. Shoots great though. I think it could take 40 grains, but I don't want to push the old girl too much. Shoots fine with this load.

Good luck with yours.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:53 PM   #3
oldscot3

Try some Sierra 175 loads worked up with IMR 4064.
Old January 1, 2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Civil War Life

Thanks OldScot3 I will when I get some 4064, but I will have to wait untill I can put together another powder order. I hate that 25.00 fee for shipping so I always wait until I have about 10 lb of powder to order. The 3031 is listed as a load in my Speer manual, and I have had good luck with it with other rifle loads.
Terry
Old January 1, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
jimbob86

Civil War Life ..... Careful there.....

Quote:
I am using a 170 gr. Hornady Round Nose bullet with 35 grains of IMR 3031. Shoots great though. I think it could take 40 grains, but I don't want to push the old girl too much. Shoots fine with this load.
The Commision rifles are supposed to be kept around 36,000 CUP operating pressure..... that load is above the 32.5 gr Do NOt Exceed load listed in my Lee 2nd ed. ......... though the loads listed are very conservative...

I use(d) the same bullet in mine, with 40 grains of IMR 4064 ....... which also exceeds the listed load (Max of 35gr) ..... but anything less will leaves the cases sooty (not generating enough pressure to expand them to immediately seal the chamber) ..... Others will have different results, as my 88's barrel was Bubbafied down to 18 1/2" ........

BTW- With a muzzle velocity of 2100 f/sec that bullet's performance on deer sized game at 100 yards is ........ less than stellar.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Civil War Life

According to the IMR load data on their web site 40 grains of IMR 3031 with a 170 grain Hornady bullet would yield a pressure of 35,000 cup. I loaded 35 grains so I should be well below the pressure range for safety. I am getting no sooting on my cases.

I don't shoot deer, so it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks for the input.

Terry
Old January 1, 2012, 04:46 PM   #7
jimbob86

CWL, how long is your barrel?
Old January 1, 2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Civil War Life

Jimbob, My barrel is 30 1/4 inch measured from the muzzle to the opening of the breech. It is a standard issue unmodified Gew 88 Commission rifle made by Spandau in 1896. It has the S mark and the punch mark for the reenforced barrel and is marked NM for new material. I did have my gunsmith to a headspace gauge check and slugged the barrel before I even thought about shooting it. He is very familiar with Commission rifles and gave it two thumbs up. I did fire my first round remotely though just because it is a very old gun.

I'd really like to try it on a crono, but I don't have one and don't want to buy one for just this one. Most of what I shoot is muzzle loading Civil War black powder stuff. I can see them going down range.

Terry
Old January 2, 2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Jimro

I found that 185 gr Corelokts and 45grs of 4064 is an accurate load. This is in m98 based actions, it would definitely be a bit too hot for a small ring or commission rifle.

Folks in the past have questioned why I don't load to "get the max performance" out of a particular round. The answer is that the animals don't care any more than I do.

Jimro
Old January 2, 2012, 01:12 AM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
I did fire my first round remotely though just because it is a very old gun.
I did, too .....

Quote:
It is a standard issue unmodified Gew 88 Commission rifle made by Spandau in 1896.
Mine was made in Erfut in 1892 ..... but has Turkish crescent markings also, and the bolt SN is mismatched .... it has a bore suited to .323 bullets, and has the "S" and notch in the reciever ring for the spitzer bullets.....

The gun was given to me, but I have spent near $300 getting it in shooting shape (headspaced, sights and barrel crowned).... not a good investment ..... but what the hell, the wood is pretty........ It works, now.

Quote:
I'd really like to try it on a crono,
If you handload at all, a Chrony is a good tool to have ...... and certainly cheaper and more usefull than a Turked and Bubba'd Gew. '88 ....
Old January 2, 2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Civil War Life

Jimbob

Quote:
The gun was given to me, but I have spent near $300 getting it in shooting shape (headspaced, sights and barrel crowned).... not a good investment ..... but what the hell, the wood is pretty........ It works, now.
It isn't always about the money. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of getting an old gun back on the range, even if I don't intend to shoot it regularly. You did good.

A chrony is definitely on my list of things to get. I do reload for other guns. 223, 30-06, .45 acp, 38 spl etc so it would be a worthwhile investment. I recently reloaded some 50-70 cartridges that I will shoot in my Model 1866 Allen conversion of a Civil War rifle musket. The same day I test fired my Commission rifle I test fired a Model 1842 Harpers Ferry .69 cal musket. It was a barn find with a dark patina but 100% complete and in mechanically good condition. The bore however was mint. I scrounged up 8 lead balls of the proper size and fired it at 25 yards. They were all on an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper with 2 inside a 3" bull. I'm done shooting it now but it was a hoot to fire it once more.

Keep up the good work and have fun shooting.

Terry