The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2011, 11:34 PM   #1
S&W460

New Guy

Well i got a Lee classic turrent press for X-Mas and a set of 44 mag dies. i have read the Lee loading Manual that came with the press and im looking to get a couple more. Any way i went to my local gun shop and picked up some 240g Hornady SWC the guy at the store told me to get Unique powder and then he sold me some large pistol primers.

Does that sound right? is that the best powder for 44mag with the 240g SWC's? also do i use magnum primers or are the large pistol primers ok....Anyway i do have a lot of questions and im going to read somemore before i try to reload anything..

Thanks for any help.
Old December 29, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Nnobby45

When you start looking at different manuals, you'll see the large variety of powders suitable for loading your caliber. Unique is just one powder. Googling around will be rather informative, also. Different brands of primers will be listed, also.

Careful with your lead bullets. If they're softer lead, the bore will lead up if you push them too fast.
Old December 30, 2011, 12:00 AM   #3
rg1

Unique would be one of the better powders for that lead bullet and for that load standard large pistol primers would be recommended. Hornady lists an overall loaded length with that bullet at 1.610". I'd also check out Alliant's web site and compare their Unique data for 240 LSWC bullets. Magnum primers are used for slower powder like Winchester 296 and Hodgdon H110 or whenever loading data recommends a magnum primer. Keep reading, be careful, and have fun.
Old December 30, 2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Tim R

Unique has its name well because it's unique. Works well in a wide variety of cartridges and has for over 100 years. Is it the best choice? Maybe. It depends on what you are doing. In the case of the bullets you bought, if it were me I’d try Blue Dot, but I like Blue Dot. Others may not. Blue Dot is easy to light, doesn’t require a heavy crimp to get it going. The Mag Primer question is your reloading manual will tell you what primer is needed with what powder. In the case of Unique a Mag primer is not required.
I use Unique in my favorite 38 Spl. Target load. Shoots very well. In the 44 mag, Unique might not blow your hair back like Blue Dot would but you might find Unique groups better……..
Old December 30, 2011, 12:22 AM   #5
S&W460

Thanks for all the advice like i said im going to read a lot more before trying to reload anything..its vary overwelming
Old December 30, 2011, 01:34 AM   #6
bkoll

Seems overwhelming at first, but as soon as you do it and shoot what you made you don't think twice about it. Took me several trips to the range to get the courage to shoot my first reloads, 300 win mag, kept getting nervous because I could hear what little powder was in the case when I shook it and didn't think it was enough. Hodgdon.com has great loading suggestions, glad I discovered it before buying another reloading book
Old December 30, 2011, 03:06 PM   #7
gonzoo75

Just take it in steps. I always use the when in doubt throw it out method. Meaning if I question something I toss it. I think as you start to load hat you will find different firearms and people like different things when it comes to reloading. Thats the fun part about it. Finding your perfect load for your firearm. Just a for instance. I have 2 223 rems same make a model. I have just a slightly different load for each. If you wondering why I have 2 its the only way I could get mine back from the wife so I could shoot it.
Old December 30, 2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Miata Mike

240 grain semi wad cutters and Unique with regular large pistol primers will work fine for .44 magnum. I have also loaded them with Bullseye and 2400. I found the bullseye loads to be very shootable and accurate, but liked the loads using 2400 powder for a more realistic .44 magnum load.

Any of these powders can work just fine and can be used for some other calibers when you decide to try your hand at them,
Old December 30, 2011, 10:53 PM   #9
S&W460

Thanks all great advice. I built a reloading bench the other day and getting set up in the spare bedroom. just need a few more things to get started.
Old December 31, 2011, 01:56 AM   #10
Lost Sheep

Learning two things

You are learning two things at once.

1 The mechanical steps of loading. How to adjust and operate the press, what you do with the primers, brass and bullets. How to measure powder and get it into the case without spilling and how to measure seating depth and crimp the bullets into the case mouth, etc.

2 How to select powder, primers and bullets.

Two very different sets of knowledge.

I recommend you start with an easy-to-handle powder like Trail Boss. It is voluminous. It will occupy a lot of the case volume, making obvious if you have missed charging a case and even more obvious if you double charged one. It is also easy to ignite (can use standard primers or magnum) and runs at relatively low and stable pressures. Very forgiving powder. Don't depend on its forgiveness, but it is what I chose to teach my friend how to reload with. We still use it for plinking in his 500 S&W and .357 magnum.

Since you have Unique powder already, I will caution you to be careful (in that large case) to be careful about your charges. Unique is one of my favorite powders, though, and will serve you well, even to learn with.

By the way, the Lee Classic Turret is spelled with no "n" whatsoever.

I recommend you use your press in batch mode at first. Remove the indexing rod so the turret head doesn't turn automatically. Load a batch of 50 cases at a time. 50 is not a magic number; it's just the number that commercial boxes have most often. A loading block also generally has 50 holes, so take 50 rounds at a time.

First, size/deprime/reprime them and place them in the loading block bottom up. That way you can tell at a glance they are all done.

Then take each one and bell the case mouth. Placing each one into a second loading block until all 50 of the batch are done.

Next, take them and charge them with powder, placing each one mouth up back in the loading block. When all 50 are done, take a strong light (a flashlight, not a match!) and see that all have the same amount of powder.

Then take each one, place a bullet on the belled case mouth and seat & crimp the bullets in place. (If you are using a separate seating die and crimping die, this will be separate operations, but you get the idea.)

This is not the only (detailed) way to load, but it is one, and the way I started.

After you have gotten the mechanical steps down pat, you can put the indexing rod back in your press and load in continuous mode, but be careful that you charge your cases all the same. If using a powder measure, it is easy to run it to empty without noticing. This can lead to blowing up your gun and hand.

I highly recommend getting a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading", a very educational book assembled by a raft of editors which has resulted in a number of different editions over the years. The ABC's does not have load data, but has a lot of good information. Your local library probably has a copy or two. The voices of various authors is good to read. Some authors styles of writing may "speak" to you better than others. For the same reason, getting a variety of loading manuals is a good idea.

You asked about choosing primers. Magnum primers are not just for magnum cartridges. They are for hard-to-ignite powders. These powders are most often used in magnum cartridges because they are slow burning and give a long, steady pressure to push the bullet to higher speeds without pressure peaks going above your gun's or your brass' limits.

Before you get too deep into choosing powders, charge weights and primers (and outstrip my knowledge) learn the mechanical steps of loading.

More later.

Lost Sheep
Old December 31, 2011, 07:05 PM   #11
S&W460

thanks everyone.. here is a pic. of the reloading bench i built. im sure ill be adding to it...

Old December 31, 2011, 10:57 PM   #12
hootey

Looks nice. Congradulations.
Old December 31, 2011, 11:18 PM   #13
Misssissippi Dave

Nice looking bench.

Generally speaking, fast burning powders will give you slower moving bullets and lighter recoil. I use fast powders for lighter bullets. Slow burning powder is for fast moving bullets and often require magnum primers. Slower powders are also for heavier bullets. For range use and not beating you up so much light bullets and fast to medium powders probably will work best. I also have found I prefer using ball powders in measures. They just seem to measure a lot more consistantly then any type of flake powder.

You could also load specials up at first if you have the cases. There would be a reduced chance of getting things wrong as compared to starting with magnum loads.

I just thought I would add my two cents.