The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 1, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
"JJ"

What distance do you practice at?

When you practice, either plinking or serious competition training, what distance do you practice? I have seen everything from 10 ft to 25 yards. I am refering to handguns only. There are some hunting handguns that you would stretch out the range on. I am more asking about your CCW or your "house" gun. When I see some of the pros on hear comment on thier groupings, I like to compare myself to them. I want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples.
Old April 1, 2010, 08:39 AM   #2
45Gunner

Since most handgun fights are close range, I try to practice close-in tactics with a LEO friend of mine. He starts as close as 7 feet which I have also adopted. We then move out to 12 feet. After that, it is just target practice at 25 feet, 50 feet, and 100 feet.

What makes this challenging is we do more than just the full or modified Weaver stance. We alternate with Strong Hand and Weak Hand shooting. And we do it from more than just a standing position. Challenge yourself to any position that you think you may take during a gun fight. Hope you never ever need to utilize it but be ready if you ever did.
NRA Life Member
Old April 1, 2010, 08:43 AM   #3
KenpoTex

Everything from a few inches (retention/ECQC stuff) to 100 yards or so. That said, the bulk of my pistol shooting is in the 3-20 yard range with a lot of it at around 15 yards (about the closest I'm comfortable shooting a steel popper with FMJ).

Matt K.
Old April 1, 2010, 08:47 AM   #4
KMO

Since the OP states CCW & home defense as the basis for training/practice, I typically practice at 20 feet and closer. My firearms instructor cited a court precedent that established 21 feet as the distance that justifies the defensive use of a firearm, even if the threat is coming from a knife-wielding subject. So, 7 yards and in seems appropriate for personal defense practice.
Old April 1, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Silent Bob

Mostly 7 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards sometimes 3 yards, rarely 25 yards (I can barely see the target at that range in the dim indoor range). On the rare occasions I get to shoot outdoors I tend to shoot at longer ranges like 25 yards and so forth.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Laserlips

JMOfartO:

I practice with my 9's and 45 from 7 yards, or less..

I practice with my 380's from 3 yards, or less.

I use a "point and shoot" at center mass technique, and I've been shooting for over 50 years and this is just what works for me. Might not for someone else.

My concern for any of my self defense weapons is more about RELIABILITY... Reliability is job one for me, and once I have determined I have that, all I need from my weapon is self defense accuracy..

Not saying I don't "appreciate" tack driving accuracy, as we all love the smallest groups we can shoot, but I believe for self defense purposes "self defense accuracy" is what you'd wind up with in a crisis no matter how inherently accurate your firearm might be.

For example my 9MM P2000sk (V3) is capable of amazingly small groups when fired by a competent shooter... Certainly more so than my 3rd Gen Smith CS9 (or CS45), but I believe in a real confrontation, using point and shoot methods both will do the job equally well.

Both the P2000sk and the CS9 (as with all my 3rd Gen Smiths) have been amazingly reliable.

I had been carrying my beloved LWS380 as my mousegun cc choice, but recently I bought a Ruger LCP w/CT Laser and that has really turned out to be a very good cc mousegun... Much easier to shoot than the smaller Seecamp.

I have recently read where using one of JeffSSig's custom fingertip mag extensions on the LWS380 really makes one easier to shoot, so I've ordered one and we'll see how that works. Can't hurt?

Again in a crisis, "point and shoot" situation I'm convinced the smaller Seecamp will do just fine, but I must admit I enjoy having a laser on my pistol when one is available.

The Seecamp is significantly smaller enough that there will be times when just the difference in size between the LWS380 and LCP will dictate the Seecamp is the choice for that trip, but for the majority of the time the LCP will work just fine.

I like having both..

Just personal opinion, no offense to those who disagree.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Old April 1, 2010, 09:11 AM   #7
bababooey32

Quote:
My firearms instructor cited a court precedent that established 21 feet as the distance that justifies the defensive use of a firearm, even if the threat is coming from a knife-wielding subject.
I'd love to see that citation. While 21 feet is often cited as "the distance at which an average man can close on you in 1.5 seconds", it is by no means a legal precedent that a man at 22 feet does not justify use of deadly force (what if the man at 22 feet has a shotgun?).

I would argue, that you should train to not let a threat get to 21 feet. If you wait until he is at 7 yards, the Tueller drill says you are TOO LATE!
Old April 1, 2010, 09:27 AM   #8
KMO

Quote:
I'd love to see that citation. While 21 feet is often cited as "the distance at which an average man can close on you in 1.5 seconds", it is by no means a legal precedent that a man at 22 feet does not justify use of deadly force (what if the man at 22 feet has a shotgun?).
Whoa tiger...I'll try to get that legal precedent for you, but my post in no way implied that threats beyond 21 feet would preclude a justifiable defensive response. Watch that hair trigger...
Old April 1, 2010, 09:41 AM   #9
evan1293

Contact distance to 100 yards. 85% of my shooting is done within 30'.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:44 AM   #10
KingEdward

bulk of practice from 3, 5, and 7 yards.

usually shoot about 1 box at around 10-15 yards.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:53 AM   #11
wyobohunter

In town carry handguns:
-Springfield 1911 45 ACP = 0-25 yds
-Ruger SP-101 38/357 = 0-10 yds

Woods carry handgun:
-Ruger SRH Alaskan 454 Casull = 0-10 yds
Old April 1, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12
"JJ"

I'm still in learning mode! But I'm getting pretty good at 7 yrds with my .38. I will step back to about 15 yrds for a few shots. I want to make sure I have no problems walking before I start to run!
Old April 1, 2010, 10:22 AM   #13
Hook686

10, 25 and 50 yards

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 1, 2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Buzzcook

15, 20, and 25yds at the indoor range. Occasionally out to 50yds outside.

I print out my own targets on standard paper. I have problems keeping my shots on paper at 25 yards, so anything further is more just for the fun of it than actual target practice.
Old April 1, 2010, 11:30 AM   #15
bababooey32

Quote:
Whoa tiger...but my post in no way implied that threats beyond 21 feet would preclude a justifiable defensive response. Watch that hair trigger
Sorry chief. i guess I focused on this part of your post:

Quote:
..a court precedent that established 21 feet as the distance that justifies the defensive use of a firearm,
Old April 1, 2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Blue Steel

LINK: How Close is to Close, by Dennis Tueller

I train from contact distances out to about 25 yards. Most work is 5-15 yards. I occasionally stretch to 50-100 yards, but I'm not sure I would call that "training", more just shooting for challenge/entertainment.
Old April 1, 2010, 03:31 PM   #17
igor

This winter I shot half of our weekly IPSC club matches with my carry rig and 9mm compact. That's 2 to 30 meters distances. I like the idea of having the basics down pretty solid.

That said, we do separate defensive workouts too, and that means from contact distance to about ten-twelve meters only.

I try to emphasize barricade positions, really busy movement and use of cover when doing those. Really deliberate individual single shots, even if they're spaced at .25 splits. Must know that each shot was needed and understand where each bullet stops.

Then your imagination is the limit. Imposed-upon stress via some physical excercise, training buddy doing drill-sergeant style distraction or both. Using stage props to recreate daily settings, an in-car situation etc. Imposing angle rules to simulate lack of proper backstop. Verbalization. Decision-making games, also creating highly stressful situations which result in a no-shoot decision or escaping the situation.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old April 1, 2010, 05:59 PM   #18
kraigwy

Mostly at 25 yards, I play a bit at 15 yards, but when I start getting sloppy, I go to 50 yards to work on my fundamentals.

It is fun trying to hit my gongs at 100 and 200 yards when I really get to feeling froggie.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 1, 2010, 07:22 PM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

8 yards to 100 yards with everything I own, handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Both paper and reactive targets. Not as good or as fast as I used to be so I need the practice and it's a good excuse to get outside. Yesterday was 10 gauge day today was the old Marlin 60 day. I will try to get in some 45 ACP tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 1, 2010, 08:12 PM   #20
orionengnr

Most of my shooting is done at 25 feet. I use a 3x5" index card with a 1" orange dot in the center. On a good day, I can clover-leaf five shots. Five shots in four seconds (range rules are 1 shot/second) opens that up a little, but not a whole lot. That is with a 1911. Yesterday I put five full-power .357 rounds into a silver-dollar size group from my S&W M-66 (shooting DA, five rounds/four seconds) and I was amazed--first time I've shot that thing in probably two years. Was thinking of selling it. Now I'm thinking of carrying it

I occasionally shoot at greater distances, but only very occasionally. I think I have tried 25 yards twice. Last time I tried, I put five on a 3x5 card, but just barely. One was less than half a bullet diameter, more of a "graze" than a "hit"....
Old April 1, 2010, 08:46 PM   #21
qcpunk

KMO, I believe what you are referring to is the "21 foot rule." The 21 foot rule states that at a distance of 21 feet, an agressor with a knife, other handheld weapon, or fists can close that distance in 1.5 seconds, and it takes the defender 2.0 seconds to fire a well placed shot from the holster. The 2.0 seconds for a well placed shot is defined in the situation as trained police officer pulling the gun from the holster and placing a shot at center mass.

As for practice distance, I start my day with shots at 7 yards, then 10 and 15 yards. I would say the bulk of my SD practice is split pretty equally between 10 and 15 yards. Then I'll move it out to 20~25 yards for "marksmanship" practice; working on steady hands and sight picture at distance. That's also the distance at which my brother and I like to one-up eachother.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 1, 2010, 09:30 PM   #22
TenRing

With a two inch revolver, I usually start practicing at about 10 feet doing double taps and work up to the 25 foot range in increments and then back to 10 feet again.

I usually take some practice shots out to 50 feet but those are carefully aimed and slower paced. I don't anticipate taking many shots at 50 feet unless hunting squirrels but I like to know what I'm capable of with the gun/ammo combination.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:40 PM   #23
jmortimer

Short barrel revolvers 7 yards/21 feet. Everything else varies up to 100 yards. Shotgun up to 40 yards with shot and up to 100 yards with slugs.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:45 PM   #24
zxcvbob

Mostly metal poppers at 10 meters for fun, and 50 feet at standard Bullseye paper targets for accuracy. (almost all of it is with cast bullets loaded hot-for-caliber)

I haven't been to the range in a long time; may try to remedy that tomorrow unless Wife says it just ain't right to go shooting on Good Friday.
Old April 1, 2010, 10:34 PM   #25
Webleymkv

The two shortest ranges I have available are 15 and 30 yards so the bulk of my handgun work is split between those two. When shooting my revolvers, I usually try to also shoot a cylinder full at 50 yards as well.