The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 1, 2010, 07:32 PM   #26
stevieboy

Ok, folks, first we gotta separate the semi grips from the revolver grips. Two totally different breeds of cat.

I don't have any experience with the semis. As for revolvers, my thinking about the Hogues has come full circle. I first began accumulating Smith & Wesson revolvers about 7-8 years ago and have since acquired a boatload of 'em. At first, I just hated the Hogue rubbers that came with S & W revolvers. Mostly I thought of them as ugly and came up with a million excuses for getting rid of them. That began an odyssey that went through several phases. I replaced the Hogues with target grips or wooden combats. Then, I replaced the targets and combats with "coke" reproductions, including some uber expensive Nill repros. Some of these grips fit my hand better than others, some worked out reasonably well (the $250 Nills), and others, well, they sucked (the S & W targets). The pain I experienced firing 125 gr. magnum rounds with my 27-3 equipped with target grips was simply unreal.

Now, it seems to me that the ultimate purpose of a grip isn't to look cool but to make shooting as efficient and comfortable as possible. In the best of all possible worlds, if I'm involved in competition or in a self-defense situation I want the grips to be a non-factor. In other words, I want to be able to shoot the gun as effectively as possible, without even thinking about flinch inducing hand pain.

The final straw for me, and a revelation, came with my recent purchase of a 625JM. That gun comes with those totally cool JM wooden grips (actually made by Hogue). I took the gun to the range excitedly anticipating the experience only to discover that each shot slammed the edge of the grip into the base of my right thumb. One session gave me a monster bone bruise that took weeks to heal.

So, in desperation, I pulled out a set of Hogue N-frame rubbers that had been languishing in my grip drawer, lo these many years. A revelation!! The grips fit my hand perfectly. No discomfort whatsoever. So, after almost a decade of trying everything under the sun, I'm back to using the Hogue rubbers.

They're still ugly as sin, however.
Old March 1, 2010, 08:44 PM   #27
lefteye

They ain't pretty but they fit my small hands and improve my shooting of these two - S&W 629 8 3/8" .44 Mag and Ruger SP101 .357 Mag. I don't like the appearance of the black rubber grips or finger grooves but they do tend to force a more consistent grip of the revolver.
Old March 1, 2010, 09:44 PM   #28
qcpunk

I have a set of Hogues on my CZ-75B and LOVE them. I believe the CZ has a great grip to begin with, and the Hogues just seem to really fill the hand well. On this particular gun I love them. However, I have not yet tried the slipon style for the poly framed. I have tossed the idea around of putting them on my XD but havent made the leap yet.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:06 PM   #29
napg19

I have to admit the Hogue monogrips on my sp101 give my small hand a better grip, suck up the recoil from a 158gr magnum and sometimes clothes do ride up and stay up cause of the rubber but this also happened when I used to carry a glock 19 with no rubber on grips. I think it depends on the clothes. Less of this problem wearing a XL vs. a L shirt of any kind. Back to grips, I put Hogue grips on my single six . They ended up being competition style and were way too big. I took them back to gun store. I'll stick with stock grips on this gun.