The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 2009, 06:55 PM   #51
Daryl

Quote:
Numbers don't kill deer.
No, they don't; but when someone promotes a particular cartridge, and supports their claim by saying to look it up, that's usually what I do.

I'm a ballistic's fanatic to some extent, and always have been. I don't generally study a lot of charts, instead leaning towards making my own decisions from experience. Even so, I've studies the charts enough to know how a lot of cartridges compare to one another in that respect.

I like to get the most from my cartridges in both accuracy and terminal performance, so I do things with that in mind.

As I said above, there's nothing at all wrong with the 7mm-08. It and it's ballistic twin (7mm mauser) have taken just about every game animal on earth, including elephant. There's no arguing with it's effectiveness on game, but IMO it falls short of being best in most respects. When one claims it out-performs the 30-06 at a distance, and also claims it's "almost as good" as the 7mm mag, while beating the .243 hands down, I just have to go look up some data.

Any of them can and have killed lots and lots of deer, along with a bunch of other cartridges. Each will do it reliably in the hands of a skilled rifleman, and each can fail if he shot goes awry. The "best" is always a matter of opinion; some more experienced than others.

Daryl
Old September 19, 2009, 07:05 PM   #52
Rigby1962

For deer I like the 45 Colt loaded with 300gr Speer sp @ 1300 fps, well why not .
Old September 19, 2009, 07:13 PM   #53
HiBC

The parameter of diverse deer hunting would place versatility pretty high on the list of desirable attributes.

A rifle optimized for western bitterbrush hunting might be a bit of a handicap in deep woods and the reverse is true.

When I pick up my 257 Ackley that weighs 7 lbs with the 6x42 Leu on top,I do not wish for something else.

I do not think there is a "best".It is the one you know and trust.And,the 30-30 has killed a lot of deer out west.

I antelope hunt on foot in what amounts to sage/desert."Flat" ground is not so flat if you look close.A buddy once told me,one minute you were walking away,then you disappeared.A little bit of a draw or bowl,defilade!!

If you are in foothills,brush,oakbrush,it might be Colorado but it is short range bush shooting,or cross the draw.

I know of a cranky old ex Marine sniper gunsmith who will use an iron sight 30-40 Krag on Pronghorn and might grab a .50 rolling block carbine to hunt in Idaho.

A Ruger #1 might be a great platform,a might an Encore carbine with an ACOG on it you could put in your ruck..
Old September 19, 2009, 07:31 PM   #54
rbb50

Quote:
When I pick up my 257 Ackley that weighs 7 lbs with the 6x42 Leu on top,I do not wish for something else
Wow I had forgot all about that lever action in 257 roberts a friend had.

That is a really neat little gun.

He says the same thing about his gun

That's all he ever needs or wants

He was just like me

We went to the range he fired two shots though the bulls-eye I fired two from my 7mm-08 though the bulls-eye we traded and shot a couple from each others gun all though the bulls-eye and we both called it a good day.

In the mean time we were both laughing about the others out there firing ten thousand rounds as a way to try to find out why they could not get a good group LOL
Old September 19, 2009, 08:35 PM   #55
Daryl

Quote:
For deer I like the 45 Colt loaded with 300gr Speer sp @ 1300 fps, well why not .
I use the same bullet at around 1250-1300 fps from my Ruger. It's a good load!

Daryl
Old September 20, 2009, 09:31 AM   #56
Waterengineer

rbb50:

Who is th emaker of the 257 Roberts lever gun? I never saw one but suddenly need one.

Is it a Browning? Thanks.
Old September 20, 2009, 11:12 AM   #57
rbb50

His was a savage model 99 but I cannot remember the designator

It was a beatiful gun with nice checkeing and all and very old but looked brand new topped off with a 7 power scope

I think browning and ruger also make them now days and his was a disconntinued model

Think I remember him saying his dad had to special order it in that caliber from savage

First one I have ever seen like it and may not ever see another one I thought
Old September 20, 2009, 11:22 AM   #58
rbb50

Actually Daryl I knew some old country boys that would hunt deer with nothing but a 22 rimfire

They would swear by them and always say something like

I gets in that brush in my camo an when they comes up I pops up an shoot em in tha haed with that there 22 and they goes rights down every time

trying to get that texas slang they talk in writing just right LOL

I always thought that was illegal but they would always say stuff like, Them there revenuers aint scare me no how LOL

Yeah I lived in some stange places down here in texas and I don't think them boys had much schooling when they were growing up but they usually had what looked like about 100 antlers laying around all over with a bunch of nice mounts on their walls LOL
Old September 20, 2009, 11:32 AM   #59
rbb50

Oh the difference between his and other lever guns was it had a rotory magazine

When you opened the chamber the rounds would push down into the magazine so that was neat also because it could be reloaded with some regular soft points unlike the tubes which needed flat or round points
Old September 20, 2009, 02:03 PM   #60
Nightowl

Best deer rifle

My preference is my BAR in 7mm Mag w/ a Leupold 2.5-8 scope loaded with a light boattail bullet.
Always - Safety First!
Old September 20, 2009, 02:19 PM   #61
HiBC

rbb50,I think your friend may have had a .250-3000 Savage.That is another excellent deer cartridge.

My .257AI is on a Mex mauser,which is short,like a Yugo,and also it is a small ring M-98.It has a Douglas FWT bbl,blind magazine with a Rem 700 triggerguard,and I put it in a Garret Accra-lite stock in a FWT m-70 shape.

I get 3050 through the chronograph with a 115 ballistic tip.
Old September 20, 2009, 06:56 PM   #62
BIGR

Oh my my, too many calibers and choices and everyone has an opinion just like a brain. If I told you at this point in my deer hunting career that the 30.06 has bagged more deer for me you would say that the .270 is better..
If it works for you then use it. I have a 7MM-08 (never shot anything with it) several 30.06's, 300 WIN. MAG (took one doe with it and put it up) but I have for some reason always leaned towards the 30.06. Well ok guys for some reason I got a wild notion that I wanted to try a 7MM MAGNUM in a bolt gun so I bought one in the spring. I am about to get the scope on it and get it ready for rifle season 2009. I will be trying some 160 GR. Sierra Gamekings over some H4831 that I loaded up and for kicks some factory Hornady Custom ammo in 162 GR. BTSP. Whichever one of those rounds shoots the best will probably be what I will hunt with. I got started late this year trying to work up a load for the rifle so maybe this winter or next year I can try some different loads. Wish me and my 7 MAG. luck for deer season 2009..
Old September 20, 2009, 07:02 PM   #63
P99AS9

.308 Winchester
Old September 20, 2009, 07:29 PM   #64
Daryl

Quote:
Actually Daryl I knew some old country boys that would hunt deer with nothing but a 22 rimfire

They would swear by them and always say something like

I gets in that brush in my camo an when they comes up I pops up an shoot em in tha haed with that there 22 and they goes rights down every time

trying to get that texas slang they talk in writing just right LOL

I always thought that was illegal but they would always say stuff like, Them there revenuers aint scare me no how LOL

Yeah I lived in some stange places down here in texas and I don't think them boys had much schooling when they were growing up but they usually had what looked like about 100 antlers laying around all over with a bunch of nice mounts on their walls LOL
I used to know some ol' boys from Utah that claimed a .243 was way too much gun for elk. They used single shot pistols chambered in 22-250, and killed a lot of elk with 'em.

Just the same, I have an uncle that decided not to take his 7mm mag when he hunted with them, but instead took his .243 (too much ribbing if he'd hunted with the 7mm mag). The uncle said those boys looked sort of silly that day trying to hit elk with them at around a thousand yards. My uncle got his from that bunch of elk with the .243, but those boys didn't.

I'm pretty sure I'd have had to sneak up a little closer, but Norm's a awfully good shot when it comes right down to it.

Daryl
Old September 20, 2009, 08:19 PM   #65
L_Killkenny

Not a very logical question IMO. Heck, it's easier to answer the question "What's not the best deer round?"

So many great choices, why limit one's self!

What's the best deer round? Anything from the .25's on up.

LK
Old September 21, 2009, 03:18 AM   #66
butta9999

The best deer round is the one that makes the perfect shot for the perfect stag.

For me it's my .300 win mag loaded with 180gr accubond. Never fails
Old September 21, 2009, 05:39 PM   #67
sc928porsche

105 mm loaded with HE. Its a little difficult to tote around in the woods, but it might get the job done.

Actually there are a lot of cartridges that are quite suitable for deer hunting and to say which is best would be the one you are most comfortable with. Just make sure that you practice, practice, practice.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:50 AM   #68
Dirty_Harry

What is the point of this thread. There are so many bullets that will kill a deer just as easy as the next. It is what you shoot the best. I use a .308, but you cannot beat the versatiliy of the .30-06.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old September 23, 2009, 11:36 AM   #69
oneounceload

Quote:
Numbers don't kill deer.
Nope, cars kill more deer than any gun
Old September 27, 2009, 04:13 PM   #70
James R. Burke

There are so many good one's out there it would be hard to say what is the best of them. It will come down to what you like, and feel the best with. There are many new calibers that are good, and a ton of the proven ones that all would work great. I always liked the .308, and now have a 30-06. But that is just two out of lots of good ones.
Old October 5, 2009, 11:39 AM   #71
Osageshooter

I like all the 30-06 family for deer. 30-06, 280, 270, 25-06. Lately, however, I am finding that my 7-08 and 260 will do what they do out to 300 yards with less recoil. The 308 is the family father, but I don't see the advantage of it over the 260 or 7-08 for deer.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:49 PM   #72
musicmatty

Lots of excelent choices for sure..for me and my needs, the model 94 Win in 30.30. has served me well everytime..never a disapointing moment yet.
Old October 6, 2009, 12:03 AM   #73
abuyalos

You can't say enough about the classic .30-30. I have a newfound love for the .300 Win Mag though. Tons of power and velocity.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:05 AM   #74
DOUGHBOY RACING

I love my 99 in .300 Savage

Old October 6, 2009, 08:38 AM   #75
mike186

I'll go with my Marlin 336 in 35 rem for woods hunting and the 308 when a little more distance is invoved.