The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
ddeyo1

Favorite dies

Just got my co-ax press and im gonna order dies soon. Wondering if anyone has a preference for dies. ill be doing both bottleneck and straight cartridges. i was looking at either getting redding or forster dies. Any input would be helpfull.
Thanks
Old March 23, 2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have quite a bit of experience with Redding dies. I really like these overall. I would change the locking rings, though. I have no experience with Forster so I can't comment if they're necessarily better or not.

I like the older RCBS dies that were made in America.

I have Hornady's New Dimension die set with the titanium nitride coated sizer die. I'm not impressed with it or the seating die. They claim that you have a very smooth sizing process. Frankly, I've had the opposite. My cases stick like nobody's business unless I keep them lubed constantly. The main reason why I bought the set was the said claim. For disclosure, I haven't had the chance to call Hornady yet so they can have the opportunity to make things right.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 23, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
ddeyo1

i have some forster locking rings that came with the press. Im planning on using those rings with whatever dies i get. I was somewhat leaning towards redding because theyre a tad cheaper than forsters.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Inspector3711

If you're reloading for a bolt action, get a Lee collet die. Other than that, I have great success with Lee carbide for pistol and Redding for the three rifle cartridges I reload.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
ConRich

For the bottle neck cartridges I use the Redding Type S Bushing Die. A lot of us who shoot benchrest use them because we can adjust neck tension simply by replacing the bushing, they are available in 0.001" increments.

For straight wall pistol cartridges, I have been using the RCBS dies for years. I do prefer the carbide sizer, it's worth the extra $$.

Hope this helps,
Rich
Old March 23, 2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Crankylove

On my bench right now, I have : RCBS, LEE, Lyman, Hornady, and Redding dies. My least favorite are the Lee dies, only got them because they were the only 9mm set in town, and they were $20. My favorites are the RCBS dies. Have used them for years, and never had a problem, with the exception of breaking a couple decapping pins, which they relplaced for free. Most reloaders have their personal preference, and thats really what it comes down to. I don't think any of my dies are less quality than the others based on brand, just like the way some are finished better than others (LEE=:barf, and a little easier to set up consistantly (RCBS) for me.

The one LEE die I absolutely love is their Factory Crimp Die for my .45 ACP and my brothers .223. Works much better (i.e more consistant crimp), and is easier to set up, then the RCBS and Hornady taper crimp dies I have.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

Rifle dies: Forster, with Lee Collet die if you want to neck-size, and/or Lee FCD if you want to crimp. The Forster seating dies are on par with Redding Competition seaters, except cheaper (especially if you do not want/need the micrometer adjustment), but better than standard Redding seater.

Pistol dies: Hornady, because Forster does not make pistol dies, and Redding Competition series are too expensive. Hornady lock rings work fine in my co-ax, but you do need to pay attention to which way their wrench flats are facing (you want them facing fore and aft so that the press's ball-detent mechanism will hold them in place in the slot). The Hornady seater is great for lead bullets, since it disassembles easily for cleaning without affecting settings for OAL or crimp. The Hornady seaters for roll crimped cartridges (rimmed, revolver cartridges) crimp very well. The Hornady seaters for taper crimped cartridges (rimless straight wall semi-auto cartridges) are a lot more finicky to set up, and you may prefer a separate taper crimp die.

Andy
Old March 23, 2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Tex S

I use a Forster bushing bump die and micrometer seater for my 270. They are awesome. Expect .002'' of bullet run out with this pair. Way better than the RCBS dies I have for my 308.

The only pistol I am currently loading for is 45 auto. For this I use a Lee Deluxe die set (the one that comes with the factory crimp die). It was cheap and works perfect. It works so well, I have actually considered buying some Lee dies for my rifles.

I also bought a Lee Deluxe set in 380 auto on Saturday. Now if I could just find some damn components!!!

The Factory Crimp Die is amazing. I havent seen any other companies that make anything even close to it, and the price is great to boot.
Old March 24, 2009, 03:40 AM   #9
HiBC

For straight wall pistol,carbide is great because no case lube is necessary.Clean is necessary,though.

The one thing I really like about forster dies is they make the decap-expand spindle a different way.The expander button is positioned high on the spindle,just below the shoulder in the die.Pulling the case over the expander is effortless as you are in a better leverage with the press.This is also a much more rigid place to have the expander,and my assumption is,if it is centered,it may aid in concentricity.

I also like Redding.They are just quality,and they have some sophisticated options,like the bushing dies.I like the Redding mirometer floating seater.Forster has one,too.

For cheap,lee dies will make ammo just fine.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:18 AM   #10
Sam06

For a bolt gun I agree with ConRich, Redding Type S Bushing neck sizing match dies. They come in a 3 die set. You get a..............Hell here they are:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=357095

They are real good dies. They allow you to really tweek you loads and keep the bullet centered. The Body Die works well to bring the case body down just a little. You have to get the correct bushing for them and you can have several bushings if you have more than 1 gun in that caliber. The seating die is very nice also.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:26 AM   #11
P97

Quote:
I use a Forster bushing bump die and micrometer seater for my 270. They are awesome. Expect .002'' of bullet run out with this pair. Way better than the RCBS dies I have for my 308.

The only pistol I am currently loading for is 45 auto. For this I use a Lee Deluxe die set (the one that comes with the factory crimp die). It was cheap and works perfect. It works so well, I have actually considered buying some Lee dies for my rifles.

I also bought a Lee Deluxe set in 380 auto on Saturday. Now if I could just find some damn components!!!

The Factory Crimp Die is amazing. I havent seen any other companies that make anything even close to it, and the price is great to boot.
I agree with the Lee Dies. Ever since the Carbide ones came out I have used them with no Lube. They work perfect, and I like to crimp all my Recoiling Cartridges unless it is for single shots. Had the 45ACP for a long time, and just ordered the 45 Colt 4 piece set.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:09 PM   #12
ddeyo1

im not really lookin g for a mic die. im not gonna be that anal about my seating. Maybe someday when i have more time and money to play with it. for now im just looking at a regular seater die. maybe like this ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=227507
Old March 24, 2009, 08:11 PM   #13
armsmaster270

RCBS and Dillon
Old March 24, 2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

That's a bit more than a "regular" seater die. That's a very nice set and will not disappoint you.

Old March 24, 2009, 09:17 PM   #15
wncchester

All our die makers are good. Quality ammo comes from qualty work methods, not from the simple use of any specific brand of tools as some seem to think.

I've used a lot of dies and brands of dies over the last 4+ decades. For conventional dies I can find no average difference in the ammo we can produce with any of them. There are just no AVERAGE differences other than some obvious external finishes.

That's for "conventional" dies. What I have come to perceive as "best", in that they consistantly produce rifle ammo with the lowest possible bullet run out in properly prepared cases are the Forster FL die, the Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die, and either a Forster or Redding competion/BR seaters, - with or without the micrometer heads, no difficerence at all in the ammo we can make with them. And Lee's Factory Crimp Dies for both rifle and pistol, as required or desired.

Best pistol dies (any straight wall case actually) are Lyman and Redding due to their excellant expander plug. (Redding copied Lyman's 3 step plug diameter design)

We can make the "best" pistol ammo, and our cases will last a bit longer, with steel dies because they are made to match the original factory case profile. BUT, carbide dies are very nearly as good and MUCH simpler to use so most of us stick with carbide sizers and just accept the slightly decreased case life that comes with them.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:28 PM   #16
flasks

Need sound reloading advice

I'm new to this site and hope I'm posting in the correct area. I recently acquired a Colt Commander in 38 super made in 1956...this is the lightweight model with alloy frame. Along with the gun I acquired a large grouping of 38 super cases and I want to reload for this particular gun. My research shows that under no circumstances should I fire the +P loads in my gun so I accept this as correct. My problem is that I can not find an article or load data that states what would be safe to fire. I first most want to protect my physical being and secondly, mygun. Do any of you guys have a recommendation of a load I can use that might duplicate the original 1950's loads? Thank you for taking the time to help me in this matter. I plan on purchasing 115 gr. copper coated lead bullets. I've reloaded other cartridges in the past but have no prior knowledge of this caliber....thank you all very much.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:44 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Welcome to the forum, flasks.

You're in the right church, just the wrong pew. Head back to the Handloading forum and instead of posting in a thread, you can create your own thread instead. There's a small blue oval that says "New Thread". Click on that and fill in a title, and use the body to post what you just stated. Click on "preview post" to make sure your spelling and grammar is correct. Then, hit the "submit reply" and await for answers.

If this seems to be a bit much, it isn't. I just added it in detail to help you go step by step without too much of a hitch. Hope this helps...

Old March 24, 2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Savage99

ddeyo1,

I have been handloading since 1953 and have dies from most who have made them. Of the dies available today I prefer the RCBS brand. The Redding FL dies lack an air bleed hole to reduce the chances of a dent. RCBS has that bleed hole.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:27 PM   #19
ddeyo1

good advice from everybody. Thanks a bunch
Old March 24, 2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Mr Odd Six

All my odd six dies are RCBS

So I guess Im bias
Old March 25, 2009, 06:16 AM   #21
Sam06

ddeyo1, Those dies are very good ones. The CoAxe press is about one of the best presses out there, very straight. I think with that combo you will make very accurate rounds.

Good Luck with them and please come back and tell us how it turned out.......Sam
Old March 25, 2009, 01:12 PM   #22
ddeyo1

will do
Old March 25, 2009, 08:10 PM   #23
James R. Burke

Mine are all RCBS never used anything else. They always worked well, and never had a problem. But from what I am reading they all seem pretty good.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:57 PM   #24
tiberius10721

so far ive only tried lee dies in 38 special,45 acp,and 380 acp and they have worked great.