The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2000, 11:36 PM   #1
Steve Smith

I'm just about to wrap my brand-new Lee Pro 1000 around someone's neck! Everything works great EXCEPT the priming system. Please tell me if there's a fix beyond the "zero-adjustment" method that doesn't do diddly. I'm really close to selling my whole setup and buying a Dillon. Speaking of Dillon, do they have rediculously aggrivating problems like this too? (the SQB or 550 B) I don't think so, since you guys always rave bout them. Hey, that was supposed to have a "mad" face!

------------------
Frontsight!
=========================
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old May 11, 2000, 07:27 AM   #2
Casey

I am having a small problem with my Square Deal "B"; I keep snapping the center screw in half. I have run about 5000 rounds of .45 ACP through it, and just last night I broke the second screw. Other than that, the only problem I have had was a bent primer cup, it caused the primers to ocassionaly load up-side down.

I would give Dillon a strong "buy". Although the screws broke, they replace them for free by mail.

Casey
Old May 11, 2000, 08:28 AM   #3
Jack Straw

Frontsight,

Exactly what problem are you having? I used to have problems with the primers refusing to slide down the channel into the primer feeding cup. Not to sound like a smart@$$, but I fixed the problem by getting a Dillon 550. I've been entirely pleased with it.

Jack
Old May 11, 2000, 08:50 AM   #4
tonyz

I use the Dillon SDB, after loading 4000-5000 rounds there has been no problems of any kind
It just keeps going and going and going.
You get the Idea.

Tony Z Master Blaster

------------------
www.vote.com
also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old May 11, 2000, 09:24 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I bought one of the early Dillon Blue Mosheens; I think Dillon is the definition of "progressive loader".

So far, I've had occasional problems with a dumb-butt operator, but never anything mechanical.

FWIW, Art
Old May 12, 2000, 02:50 PM   #6
Rounder

Front sight: I love my Dillon 550 B. The only hassle is if I screw up and have to cycle the press, I first have to disconect the primer rod to keep from cycling a primer or, pick out the primer and stick it back in the tube. I think that's hard on it cuz it has to be squeezed a bit but so far (knock on wood) no problems. I've had to call for help a couple of times and they have an excellent support staff. Sorry, can't help with the Lee pro 1000.
Good luck,
Rounder
Old May 12, 2000, 04:11 PM   #7
char923

Rounder It is not going to hurt to leave the primer in the primer slide. I leave my primers in and have not screw up a primer yet.
Old May 12, 2000, 06:21 PM   #8
Bill Daniel

Frontsight
I have been reloading only a few months but love my Dillon Square Deal B. All my problems have been operator induced and the Dillon support staff has graciously solved all my snafu's. No primer feed problems with WLP or WSP primers loading for 45 ACP and 357 calibers.
Bill Daniel
Old May 12, 2000, 08:31 PM   #9
kegrin

Love my 550B. Only use it for .40S&W and .45ACP so far, but you can't do better unless you pay more to Mr. Dillon.
Old May 12, 2000, 08:48 PM   #10
beemerb

I have at least 25,000 rounds through my 550.Have had 2 minor problems and both my fault but dillon gave me the new parts anyhow.My opinion is you can't go wrong with Dillon.
PS I can run 500 rds an hr of 45 .Now thats fast.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain
Old May 14, 2000, 12:44 AM   #11
Steve Smith

Thanks for the input guys. I guess this is another painful lesson in the "you get what you pay for " deal. As soon as my local salesman gets more 500Bs (this week) I'm getting one. I figure that I'll buy it from him so I've got a local "Dillon" rep. (same price of course). I can even get replacement parts from him on the spot vs. waiting a few days.
Old May 14, 2000, 07:25 AM   #12
45King

I have a Square Deal for .45ACP which has been continuously up and running since 1987 with no problems. I also have two 550's (small & large primer setup) which have been running continuously since 1990. No problems in all that time and all those rounds (50K?)

Dillon is THE WAY!

------------------
Shoot straight & make big holes, regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center

[This message has been edited by 45King (edited May 14, 2000).]
Old May 14, 2000, 07:37 AM   #13
Patrick Graham

I bought a RL550 back in the 80's, before it was a RL550B. I recently had to upgrade it to a B. I've got 50k plus rounds through it, maybe more. In 1994 my credit card recipts show that I did 8k of 45 acp alone, that was only one of 6 calibers I was loading that year. I also did 5k of 38/357 (125 gr JHP), 3k of 223, 3k of 115 gr jhp 9mm.... and so on.. a busy year for bullet manufacturers. I had to intentionally cut back or end up divorced.
Old May 14, 2000, 09:37 AM   #14
rinoray

I purchased a Dillon 550B after a three month research quest for reloading information. Have been thoroughly pleased with it and Dillon (one stuck large primer tube - replacement arrived in 3 days NO BS warranty is true). Only real problems I've had are pilot error.
Old May 14, 2000, 09:23 PM   #15
Joe Portale

Frontsight and all,

The biggest problem that I have seen with the Lee equipment is the primer feed. Here is a possible list of things that can cause the primers not to feed:

* not enough primers in the tray. You need at least twenty primers to get them moving down the ramp.

* grit or oil in the ramp

* flashing from the plastic injection that made the ramp (found this on one of mine)

* the little hair pin spring on the carrage popped off (happens to me fairly often) Look on the right side of the shell plate carrier and see if it is there.

* crude in the primer rod well that is preventing the rod from dropping back to the neutral position.

* high tides and the phase of the moon

I have been using the Lee 1000 for awhile. All I can say is that when it runs, it runs great, when it doesn't, it screws up ina small way and makes life miserable. My dream machine is a Dillion 650 with all the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

True Gun Control: Weaver or Isosceles.
Old May 16, 2000, 02:47 AM   #16
Sportster

Got a Lee Loadmaster. Crushed and jammed a primer early on,but nothing ever since. Gotta keep an eye on the primer feeder,make sure they're sliding down the ramp and tap em if they're not,but other than that....she's a beauty....
Old May 16, 2000, 10:23 AM   #17
Steve Smith

Joe Portale, being miserable is something I can't tolerate well, when I have a choice. Seems like some people are more patient with this than I am. The primer trough is clean, and spring is there (it should not be popping off anyway!) and there are no ridges in the trough. I have to have 50+ primers for them to go down the trough reliably, and still they often "logjam" at the mouth of the flip disk so that there are 15 in the trough, and all the rest in the disk. Frankly, ita a crappy setup. The Dillon setup is much more foolproof that the Lee. I'm definately changing over this week.

------------------
Frontsight!
=========================
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 16, 2000, 09:35 PM   #18
jim-alex

I'm looking for a second Pro-1000. If you really want to unload, see my post in Accessories, Gear Wanted. Jim
Old May 18, 2000, 12:54 PM   #19
ARshooter

How many times have we read posts regarding the problems encountered with Lee progressive loaders?

To everyone thinking about getting a progressive press, Just get the Dillon, period!!!

It doesn't cost that much more, will last a few life times, has great customer service and won't give you headaches.

You buy a progressive press to turn out a lot of ammo, not to work on.
Old May 18, 2000, 01:20 PM   #20
bk40

progressive reloading machines for rifle and pistol, buy a Dillon, any Dillon!