The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 24, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1
Runsalone

short term SA carry.......Sig

Sig 226. As to the firing pin block, I just got done reading in the manual that the firing pin lock is engaged in single and double action mode.

Let me preface my question with this....I WOULD NOT CARRY A GUN WITHOUT A SAFETY IN SINGLE ACTION MODE....... If it is DA\SA I carry DA first shot.

Now.. with that out of the way, if I were to suddenly need the use of both my hands during shooting the pistol, say got charged during a reload, or more likely needed to harry someone to safety....etc. Is it safe to holster the weapon in SA, given proper trigger finger control, or will it go off if I do a jumping jack?

I think Ive seen footage of Seals or some ninja agency doing room clearing drills and practicing switching back and forth between the 226 and MP5 (whatever...it was) I dont think they decocked for the period of the time the pistol may have been needed for immediate use.

Again Im NOT asking if it would be safe to carry indefinitely in SA, that would be retarded in my opinion. But rather in the heat of the fight should it need to be holstered and brought back into play, could you do so safely, instead of having to shoot DA again.

Again trigger finger control being a given my question pertains to the safety of the weapon. Assume it would be safe if "dropped" in SA.? Due to the safety.....

God I hope I asked this right or Ill never hear the end of it..........

BTW I posted in two forums....didnt know which one fit
Old July 24, 2005, 10:27 AM   #2
ATW525

NEVER holster a cocked weapon without a manual safety engaged. It's an accident waiting to weapon, because if the trigger snags on the holster it's very likely to go off. I would be extremely surprised if Navy SEALs were holstering thier Sigs without decocking them first. Most likely they're trained to decock and holster in fluid motion.
Old July 24, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Sarge

I have had cops try this during LE qualifications, to get around using the D/A first stroke. This is doubly ridiculous because at ranges greater than 15 yards, I allow them to thumb-cock (with the off-hand, after the gun is downrange) the piece and shoot S/A if the prefer.

First time I catch them doing this, they clear the weapon and go sit out the rest of the exercise. Second time, they leave the range until we all sit down with the command staff and have a little safety discussion...

Holster a cocked Sig? Bad idea. All of them I have ever shot have very good SA triggers- translated to "easy to ND on the way to the holster".

Decock that weapon before you holster it. The lever is right under your thumb, and there's no excuse NOT to.
Old July 24, 2005, 10:47 AM   #4
Runsalone

I guess lots of practice on the DA is really the answer. I can holster just as fast decocking as not. just thinking about re-entering the gun into play the most accurately. Just not as accurate with the DA pull, I have a GREAT trigger pull but shortish fingers to the gun tremors a bit just before the break. Of course That was with my 228 the bit longer and heavier 226 dosnt seem as bad.
Old July 24, 2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Sarge

There are a couple of ways to beat that, Runsalone. The first primary one, you already figured out for yourself- practice.

Another good way to maximize your DA accuracy is to take advantage of the Sig's short DA pull. Block the sights on target and pull the trigger straight back in one quick, smooth motion. If you stick with this you will surprise yourself with the accuracy you can get with your first shot from the holster. Start close, and don't rush. You want the fastest hit you can get- not the fastest miss.

Third technique is to try the Sig "short" trigger in your gun. These are quite helpful to folks with short fingers, and don't hurt the gun at all for people with average-large hands, either.

FWIW I was "raised" on DA revolvers in a time when we were actually required to qualify with them shooting DA, to 50 yards. I understand "milking the trigger" as well as anyone you're likely to run across. There some guns you can do this with, and some you can't. The Sig DA's need to be handled with a firm grip and a quick DA trigger stroke. I learned all this when I switched from 1911's to a Sig 220 a few years ago.

The Sig is a fine gun, and in service trim is fully as accurate as all but the best, match-built 1911's you'll ever see. I have fired several that would easily stay in 3.5" at 50 yards (benchrested, of course) with ammo they liked. They are also about twice as reliable as your typical mass-produced 1911

You have youself a fine pistol there. It will be well worth your effort to master it.
Old July 24, 2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Runsalone

Quote:
Third technique is to try the Sig "short" trigger in your gun. These are quite helpful to folks with short fingers,

Yep-Yep, got one! Cycled it through my first 226, my 228 and now into this 226, it makes the trigger reach possible for me DA.

I got to agree, better to master the DA than take a chance, even if its a minimal one. Minimal crap tends to be on Murphys side!

Thanks to all for thinking this through with me.