The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2004, 02:20 AM   #1
xmastree

What's happening here?

I loaded some .45 ACP for a friend. When he brought them back for reloading, I noticed the primers looked unusual.

In the lower right corner is one from one of my spent shells, made at the same time using exactly the same setup. (230gr rn, 4.2gr VV N310)

Could it be just the fact that they were fired from a diferent gun?
Old October 14, 2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

What a difference!

Quote:
Could it be just the fact that they were fired from a diferent gun?
That almost has to be the explanation. What kinds of pistols were y'all using?

Due to image quality, on my screen, at least, about all I can tell is that they don't look like Glock firing pin strikes.

How are the case mouths? Is there a difference visible between cases fired in his pistol and yours?

I have no reference works at hand this morning, and have no experience whatever with VV N310. Perhaps another member can tell us if this is a somewht warm load.

Also, you say bullets were 230 RN - - Lead or jacketed?

Best,
Johnny
Old October 14, 2004, 11:52 AM   #3
griz

What kind of gun is he using? The firing pin marks seem to be centered sometimes and sometimes not on his primers. Maybe he just has a gun with a large firing pin channel and a loose firing pin.

I've noticed the decapping process sometimes distorts the primer so it would be better to compare the primers in the case, but you have probably already done that or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
Old October 14, 2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Cal4D4

That's alot of primer flow for a low pressure round. His firing pin hole is either real sloppy or he's getting some strange pressure curves. Anything like huge leading in the barrel and shooting jacketed after? If you are crimping - and auto cases should only be taper crimped - the cases could ride over the headspacing shoulder of the chamber and "pinch" the bullet in the case. Primers look like WLP, try CCI as a test. It has a thicker primer cup. Look at the breech face with the firing pin sticking out. Fully extended there should be virtually no gap around the pin. This can be bushed.
Old October 14, 2004, 06:25 PM   #5
mete

The breech face of your friends gun is chewed up.It seeems to have an indentation around the firing pin hole.The pattern matches on all the primers. Breech face should be flat and smooth.
Old October 14, 2004, 09:34 PM   #6
xmastree

Quote:
What kind of gun is he using? The firing pin marks seem to be centered sometimes and sometimes not on his primers. Maybe he just has a gun with a large firing pin channel and a loose firing pin.
My gun is a Colt 45 Cold cup. His, I think, is a regular Colt 45. Certainly a 1911 of some kind.

Some of the shells might be fired by others also, I load quite a lot for him and I don't think he uses all of them personally. Maybe he's reselling them? I know for sure that I sonetimes get different ones back, as they soimetimes have CCI(? not brass colored anyway) primers.

Quote:
better to compare the primers in the case, but you have probably already done that or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
Yes, I noticed it while they were still in the shells.

Quote:
The breech face of your friends gun is chewed up.It seeems to have an indentation around the firing pin hole.The pattern matches on all the primers. Breech face should be flat and smooth.
Possibly, I'll try to look at his gun next time.

Thanks
Old October 14, 2004, 10:32 PM   #7
Jim Watson

"Some of the shells might be fired by others also, I load quite a lot for him and I don't think he uses all of them personally. Maybe he's reselling them?"

I don't know about the strange marks. But this sounds like something the BATmen could call doing business without a license for both of you. And a source of liability if you furnish him a bad round; worse if he resells it.
Old October 15, 2004, 09:17 PM   #8
xmastree

Quote:
I don't know about the strange marks. But this sounds like something the BATmen could call doing business without a license for both of you. And a source of liability if you furnish him a bad round; worse if he resells it.
Maybe in the US, where everybody sues everybody else... Here in the Philippines thinks are less strict.