The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 28, 2001, 08:24 PM   #1
MFH

Rem 7600

I recently found a Rem 7600 in 35 whelen for sale. What degree of accuracy can be expected from a 7600? I am guessing around 2moa. If so, are there any simple methods to enhance accuracy or is trying to get near moa even achievable?

MFH
Old November 28, 2001, 11:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think a shooter would be pretty lucky to get 2 MOA out of a 7600. They usually run around 3 or so. They can, with some work and expense, be tweaked for better accuracy, but bear in mind that they are made as a fast woods rifle, not a target rifle.

If you are hunting in long shot country, a bolt action would probably be a better bet for the 200 yard and over distances.

Jim
Old November 29, 2001, 01:30 AM   #3
DeBee

The Remington 7600 in .35 Whelan is a very desirable hunting rifle especially in the eastern woods here...

Most 7600s are accurate enough for hunting deer sized game. It's basically a free floated barrel hanging out of a bolt action operated by a slide and shouldn't need modifications but I understand confidence in the rifle is a big part of shooting also...

Two major things can be done if necessary:

A trigger job by a gunsmith very familiar with the 7400/7600 series triggers- usually gets you a crispy 3 lb. pull and an overtravel screw adjustment.

A precision recrown of the barrel.

If the price is right, don't let it go by... the .35 Whelan is a real pole axe on deer by all accounts.