The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2016, 11:25 PM   #1
JohnFLand

Rifle rods and grommeted gun socks

My brother nicely organized his gun safe using Rifle Rods:

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Storage-So...rds=rifle+rods

I wanted to do the same, but I also like to keep each long arm in a gun sock because most scratches and dings are from bumping other things in the safe. So my solution was to install brass (not brass colored steel) grommets in the ends of my gun socks:

Details:

Because of the knit material, you need to use spur grommets, which have spur projections that bite into the material (I tried "regular" grommets and the knit cloth just pulled out):

Spur grommets need a special die (which is size-matched to the grommet); I got mine here: http://www.sailrite.com/Die-Set-Spur-1-5-16 .

For a nicer look, first invert the gun sock so that the spur part of the grommet will be inside when done; otherwise a junction seam will show.

And for the curious or doubters: the gun socks are silicone coated and thus moisture repellent, I have a Golden Rod and two Eva-Dry E-500 desiccant units and 4 VCI blocks in the safe, I live in a dry climate, I coat the exterior of my guns with a protectant (oil or better), and many of my guns are stainless steel, so no, I'm not worried about rust due to the long term usage of guns socks.

John Land