The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Mr Budha

Trying Out Holsters - Crossbreed Style

So I bought this Crossbreed style holster off of ebay for about $38.00. The holster seems well built and the only difference I can tell from an actual crossbreed is the quality of leather. But I really only wanted to try this style of holster out.

Please excuse my fat, the holidays were good to me :P

First of all - I NEED a good belt. Going to eventually buy one when I can afford it. That being said, I find that this crossbreed style of holster prints too much for me. I'm about 5'7 165 pounds and it prints too much for my tastes in almost all of my clothes. I feel like I should/have to wear a sweater or jacket over it (thats a tough thing to accomplish in Miami).

It is comfortable, although not at all times, for example I remove the gun when I'm driving because it doesn't feel comfortable enough for me to leave it be. I think this type of holster would be better suited for me if I had a smaller gun.

Other than that the holster is pretty good. It does squeak a bit too much so I put a penny behind each clip and that removed all the squeaking. Going to super glue the pennies behind the clips so that It doesn't ever squeak and I don't have to keep finding coins :P

Because of my experience with this holster I did just buy a Remora Holster 10-ART with the Reinforced Top. Will be trying that out and see if it's better for me.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could use this crossbreed style holster more efficiently and with the least amount of print? Thanks for reading.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

First, yes, you do need a good belt. Though I have never even handled a belt from The Beltman, his belts do come highly recommended. I use an Aker B21, and an IWB very similar to the one pictured. The B21 is a kydex-reinforced belt that looks more like a dress belt than a gun belt. I ordinarily wear khakis or jeans and a sportcoat, so a big ol' Tactical Black belt that screams "GUNBELT!" wouldn't work for me. A sportcoat or jacket (depending on your climate and wardrobe, but not always feasible) goes a long way towards reducing printing.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Vireye

and good pants.

I carry my Glock 21 in a crossbreed every day. I found that if I wear pants that are too thin, the muzzle actually pushes out and "tents" slightly on the side of my leg... (you can imagine how awkward THAT looks).

That tends to only be a problem in cheap dress slacks, not so much in jeans, but something to be aware of!
Old January 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Mr Budha

I took a look at the beltman. Look like really nice quality belts, however, I'm still recovering from the holidays, the gun, the ammo, and the holsters lol. It didn't click that I needed a really good belt until later. If anyone could suggest a good one for $30 or less it would be appreciated

Living in Miami means I'm always wearing shorts or jeans (school or work) and none of my shirts are very long or baggy so I know I'm going to have to keep in mind the clothes I buy as well.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Having run into some financially hard times myself in the past few years, I understand the need to be frugal. That said, I can't help you find a $30-or-less gunbelt, but the Aker runs $52.50. I've had one for about 2 years and wear it, oh, 4+ times per week. It's holding up well.

In Miami, I'm thinking that SURELY you can find a few good, long Hawaiian shirts to cover the print.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Mr Budha

^I could find one sure, or even a guayabera..but I wouldn't go out in public with em

I'm thinking about just buying some normal T's that are longer than what I would normally wear.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:14 AM   #7
sawman1293

I have a few suggestions. First, go to crossbreedseconds.com and check out their supply of belts. Great belts for $30-$50. Second, try adjusting the clips up or down on the CB copy holster. Adjusting the angle just a little makes a huge difference in how the gun feels in the waistband. As for comfort when sitting, trim away some of the leather. I have several CB holsters, and I have trimmed extra off all of them to suit my tastes. Third, buy pants a size bigger if you want less printing. The pics you posted do not seem to me like it is printing excessively. People will not notice.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Cowboy_mo

Save Your Money ........

and then order one from the Beltman!

I have been using one of his belts for about 6 months and absolutely love it. It has the stiffness of a same brown and looks beautiful. I have used the cheaper belts before and they are no where near the quality of Beltman's.

Sooooo, I suggest you keep the 30 or 40 you have now, save up and get a really great belt from the beginning.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Mr Budha

^ Yea i've been checking out his website. I'm gonna have to save up for one. Definitely want a belt I can wear with anything, and will support the gun.

I also have moved the gun further back. The barrel points at about 4:30. This seems to be the most concealed area for it and is okay when I sit however, the gun has to come out when I drive because it presses right against my right hip.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:39 PM   #10
sigcurious

I have found that my inexpensive Dickies belt works well and I use a similar set up and similar dress code most of the time. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it keeps things snug. YMMV
Old January 26, 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Jakes

Belt

Have you looked at the Amish belt.about $36.00.give them a look at.