The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1
prater

Right handed shooter, left handed mag release

I just purchased my first Sig P 226 .40! I haven't fired it yet but can't wait!

It was a police trade in and it has a left handed mag release, however I still chose it due to it's good condition despite being used.

I was prepared to reverse the mag release but I kind of feel like it might be nice to be able to release the mag with the inside knuckle of my trigger finger but I haven't tried it yet.

Does anyone like to shoot right or left handed with an opposite mag release? Are there any major disadvantages to shooting this way?
Old December 30, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Slopemeno

Give it a chance. Back when I was into action shooting I ran a stage with another shooters left handed comp gun, which had an S&A left handed mag release- and I shot it right handed. Using your index finger on the mag release worked great! I was really happy about not having to shift my grip at all.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Smit

After reading this post I really would like to try this. I like the idea of being able to use the index finger and not shifting my grip on the gun. Thanks for the idea.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Altered Ego

Being a left-handed shooter, almost the entire gun world is very prejudicial against us "south-paws", but I have learned to adapt to this as there are just too many right-handed guns not to own. I say if it works for you even though it may be unconventional, nothing wrong with it. Actually, I don't think twice about using the controls on any gun I own in an unconventional manner. At least you have the capability to switch it to the other side if you choose to...

Congratulations on your recent acquisition, you will most certainly enjoy it!!!
Old December 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Pahoo

If it works for you, do it.

When able to do so, I also switch. The problem is keeping it all straight when switching back and forth, as the dictated by the handgun. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2012, 01:26 PM   #6
RickB

The finger is a lot more dextrous than the thumb, and I like that my "trigger finger" has something to do during reloads; less likely to get back on the trigger prematurely. The majority of ADs that I've witnessed have been during reloads, with the finger back on the trigger before the gun is back on target.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:37 PM   #7
PawPaw

Get a Colt Single Action. There is some small school of thought that Sam'l Colt was left-handed and designed the SAA to fit his southpaw status. I find that I am able to manipulate the controls on the SAA better with my left hand.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com