The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Servant

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo

I had asked some questions about de-crimping military brass, and this was highly recommended (either here or somewhere else). I was about to bid on it on ebay, and did a last ditch search, and found it at midway for 1/2 price....thought I would share the deal with anyone else that was looking as I was. If you have this, what do you think about it?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447...t-swager-combo
Old December 31, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
hornady

I use the RCBS primer pocket swag and I think it is great. Unlike the reamer type you get a much more uniformed pocket. It can not be used with a progressive press, It also will not work with my Redding big boss press you need the standard ram single stag press for this application.
Old December 31, 2011, 04:45 PM   #3
compglock17

Just ordered mine from Midway as well! Cant wait to give it a try, I have about 4000 cases ready and waiting!
Old December 31, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Fleet

It also will not work with a Lee "C" frame press. There's not enough frame material in front of the press ram to support the sleeve that pops the swaged cases off the swaging stud. Works great with a Rock Chucker, though.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
flashhole

It won't work with the Lee Classic Cast or the Lee Classic Turret. That's a great price though. It works fine on my Redding Ultramag.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 31, 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
federali

Great tool

I use the RCBS swaging tool on with my Rockchucker. Great combo. Reaming primer pockets with a hand tool works but takes way too long.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:18 PM   #7
deepcore

Will it work in a Forster Co-Ax?
Old December 31, 2011, 07:29 PM   #8
flashhole

It will if you outfit the Co-Ax with a conventional shell holder.

Old December 31, 2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Edward429451

The thing to watch out for when using the RCBS primer pocket swager is to be very careful to separate your brass by headstamp, and if using military brass this means to separate by year also. If you do not then you will bend the support rod which goes inside the case.

What happens is different lots of brass have differing thicknesses in the web area of the case (where the support rod goes) and when you get a thick one the rod which supports it will bend and then you are done swaging primer pockets for the day...
Old December 31, 2011, 07:41 PM   #10
compglock17

Quote:
The thing to watch out for when using the RCBS primer pocket swager is to be very careful to separate your brass by headstamp, and if using military brass this means to separate by year also. If you do not then you will bend the support rod which goes inside the case.
Edward, this is very interesting! Can you elaborate on this? How do I know which cases can be used and which will damage the rod? Do you know if RCBS makes different rods for different brass thickness? Very glad you posted this before I messed up and just went at it! I will be doing .223 brass if that helps you answer.
Old December 31, 2011, 08:39 PM   #11
flashhole

wrong text ... deleted

Last edited by flashhole; January 1, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:04 PM   #12
mjm

Quote:
? How do I know which cases can be used and which will damage the rod? Do you know if RCBS makes different rods for different brass thickness?
It is the same rode for all 5.56. It is all about ajusting the rod for each thickness. Sorting by headstamp and even year is important. Attention to detail will help avoid bending the rod.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:09 PM   #13
jepp2

Quote:
You need to do this regardless of what type swage you use for best results (Dillon or RCBS). With Dillon you may not bend the pin, but it will over/under swage the brass. With the RCBS it will not bend the rod if you use some feel, but for quicker sizing it pays to sort the brass.

I have swaged over 20K rounds on my RCBS swage an never bent the rod. A couple of things that will help you use your new tool.

1. Make sure you follow the directions and thread the rod all the way into the housing.
2. Adjust for the web thickness and use some "feel" on the handle as you operate the press. Once you get everything set, you can work through brass rapidly.
3. I sanded and polished the stud that actually swages the primer pocket. I found it takes much less effort to extract the stud from the brass if you do this. Until I did this it took a lot of force and sudden impact to cause the brass to release. Some folks use a bit of Imperial sizing wax on the stud to assist with the release.

I have a nearly new Dillon sitting in the box because I just like the job the RCBS swage does. But realize most folks strongly prefer the Dillon. The RCBS is a fine tool, just learn how to use it. I also use it on brass with tight primer pockets (like S&B) that aren't swaged, but still benefit from using the tool.
Old January 1, 2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Lemmon

Flashhole: Call RCBS to get larger cup.....

I have the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo and it at first did not work with my Classic Cast single stage press due to the size and height of the ram. Called RCBS and the young lady sent me at no charge a larger cup that goes over the ram and shell holder that works fine with my Classic Cast. May not work with the lee turret though.

My Experience with RCBS has been Great.... Good Company and great products and exceptional service. Happy New Year 2012

Lemmon
Old January 1, 2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Servant

Well shoot. I have the lee turret press, but I do have the hand held press also, will this work for them? Also the turret I have is not the classic but the deluxe. Will it work with this?
Old January 1, 2012, 07:53 PM   #16
flashhole

Lemmon - thanks for the info. I didn't even know RCBS made a larger cup. I wonder why they have two sizes. I will definately contact them.

Old January 2, 2012, 03:33 AM   #17
Scimmia

It's available to cheap right now because it's being replaced. The Primer Pocker Swager Combo - 2 comes with stronger rods to help prevent bending and resigned swager heads.

flashhole, they have two sizes because some presses wouldn't have room for the larger one, while some presses need the larger one to clear the ram.

Get them while you can, just be careful with the rods!
Old January 2, 2012, 05:38 AM   #18
thump_rrr

I Swaged 6000 .223 over the Christmas holidays alone.
I never separated any of my brass and have never run into any issues bending the rod.

If you read the instructions the rod must be screwed in completely and there is no adjustment needed.
The easiest way to use the tool is to push the casing upwards till it fits over the rod the raise the ram.
If you sit the casing on the stud and try to get it to pass over the rod by raising the ram you will most likely damage the case.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:37 AM   #19
Servant

here's a youtube video of it being used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzUp...A25D67E745256C