The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2010, 03:09 PM   #26
Jim243

Winchester is my favorite, except for 357 mag then CCI 550s.

Jim
Old June 27, 2010, 11:01 AM   #27
amamnn

The only brand I have ever had serious trouble with is CCI in small pistol standard grade and also in small rifle BR (that was in a match and a REAL pain) so I avoid using them. I know other people who swear by CCI and some more like me who swear at them. I have used mainly Federal primers as long as I could get them. I have has one failure with a Federal small rifle standard grade primer. During the primer drought I went back to Remington 7-1/2 for some of my BR loads. I have never had a real failure with the Remingtons, their reputation for reliability suffered some years back and I joined the BR shooter's stampede to the Federal 205M for no really good reason. I've never had any problem with Winchester primers and still use them for non match pistol loads.

I like to buy american made products if I can, but again, during the primer shortage I bought some magtech small rifle primers to use in plinking and brass forming loads to save my 205Ms. I have had no complaint with their performance in that application. I measured the cup depth and weight of 100 them and compared them to the few Federal 205s (standard grade) I had left at that time. The Magtech had slightly fewer, by %, odd size or weight primers than the Federals. In a pinch, some folks cull standard grade primers when they can't get the pre inspected and culled match primers, so it may be that Magtechs might be a better buy in that case. I did not have any other comparable primers to compare them with.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:33 AM   #28
sob (sweet ole bill)

primers

+1 for Woodeyd, 40+ years, eight calibers plus three shotgun. Whatever, never had one not go bang. Also, never used Wolf
Old June 27, 2010, 06:55 PM   #29
James R. Burke

I have always used the CCI's no real reason, I am sure there all pretty good. Just started with them, and stuck with them. Never had a FTF ever.
Old June 27, 2010, 06:59 PM   #30
moxie

+2 for woodeyed

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old June 27, 2010, 07:22 PM   #31
WESHOOT2

primed

I prefer CCI in autoloader cartridges; I prefer Federal in revolver cartridges.
Old June 27, 2010, 08:29 PM   #32
wncchester

"Federal Match, Remington...."

Ditto.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:07 PM   #33
Fullthrottle

I have been of the mind "whatever goes bang" without a FTF! No major preferance but I will say I mostly have CCI! I have used CCI, Federal and Winchester, mind you I dont shoot competition, so the minute differance is mute to me!

As far as Wolf is concerned, never used them unless they were in factory loads(even then never a FTF)!

One poster said $28 per 300..........ouch and I thought I had it bad in Kommiefornia, I just picked up 1000 CCI small pistol at my local gun store for $29. Around here the primers are close to readily available. Hell my local shop started to finally get a real good selection of bullets too.........a bit pricey but available.
Old June 27, 2010, 10:14 PM   #34
TXGunNut

Just stay away from them once-fired primers. Trust me on this.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 28, 2010, 07:12 AM   #35
jeep02tj

I'm not an experienced reloader, but my choice of primer was influenced by what's available. Everything seems to be in short supply here in NY.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:18 PM   #36
Uncle Buck

I have had really good luck with Wolf, Remington, CCI and Winchester LP Primers.

The only fail to fire rounds I have ever had were from reloads using Federal Large pistol primers. (Two out of 1,000 reloads.)
Old July 2, 2010, 06:38 AM   #37
billtheshrink

wolf

I'm a newbie and have used Wolf as the only primers for my 1911 Mil Spec. Personally I've had good fortune, they cpme oput of the pack oriented perfectly, and they all go bang. Perhaps its my inexperience in reloading, and that i dont do competitive shooting (since my range stopped monthly Bowling Pin shoots)// Wolf is available and affordable and if memory serves, have read that the pros like them also.
Thanks to you ALL for the advice and help you've givien me. Oh yes i use Dillon 650.
Old July 2, 2010, 07:43 AM   #38
Wleoff

I use the primer that is recommended for a specific load in the loading manual that I'm using. Usually the people who develop the loads in each manual have tested the combination that they're recommending.
Old July 2, 2010, 11:09 AM   #39
TXJohn

I have used pretty much all of the name brands but normally use CCI BR-2, CCI 200, CCI 300, WIN LR or WIN LRM
Old July 2, 2010, 12:44 PM   #40
totaldla

CCI350 for 44 mag with ball powders.

Wolf Large Pistol Magnum suck. Seriously.

Winchester LP are really good for everything but I have had a couple crack in 44 mag usage.

Wolf Large Pistol are very good.

Winchester Large Rifle have been very good to me. I'm hoping Wolf Large Rifle Magnum will be good to me as well.
Old July 4, 2010, 01:28 PM   #41
Kevin Rohrer

The cheapest I can find. If I had a choice, it would be WW or CCI.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old July 4, 2010, 03:47 PM   #42
amamnn

One thing you can say for once fired primers--no one has ever been injured from using them................the second time
Old July 4, 2010, 04:31 PM   #43
Hawg

CCI for everything unless I just can't find any and then it's Winchester. Federals are too soft for my liking.
Old July 4, 2010, 05:27 PM   #44
Dave R

I used to use CCI for my varmit/accuracy load in .223. But it appears that I get slightly better groups from Winchester WRSs, so they're my go to small riflle primers for accuracy, now.
Old July 5, 2010, 10:38 AM   #45
devilfrog

CCI primers across the board
Old July 5, 2010, 10:54 AM   #46
Doodlebugger45

I've used more CCI than anything, mainly because that's what was available the most. No real problems with them for the most part, however, on the LRM primers, they do seem to be very hard to seat to the proper depth. I've shied away from the Federals mostly because I heard all these comments about them being too soft, but I don't know that first hand. I have used some Remington LP and SR BR primers and I really like them. They seem softer to seat than the CCIs but not too soft. I also used some Wolf LRM primers then I couldn't get anything else. No problems with them at all.
Old July 5, 2010, 04:03 PM   #47
Blue Grass

I use Win, Fed, CCI, MagTeck, Fed, PMC, and anything else I can get. Haven't tried Wolf because nobody around here carries them.I've been reloading since 1974 so I've had the occasional problems with all the brands listed. Since 10s of millions of primers are made each year, it's surprising we don't have more problems. Last month I bought 100 CCI LR primers. Loaded some .243 Win ammo. Out of 35 rnds loaded, 5 wouldn't fire. Also had some vertical stringing with a proven load. I just pulled the remaining bullets, shot the primers, and pitched the remaining primers from that lot. All brands can have a bad lot.
Old July 5, 2010, 06:22 PM   #48
BigJimP

CCI is the only primer I use on handguns... Federals are too soft / they scare me in a progressive loader for any metallic. If I couldn't get CCI - I would use Win or Rem.

On shotshells - I use Win 209's primarily - and Rem 209's as a backup / but I've also used some Chedite (which I don't really like ) ....( but primers are not interchangeable in shotshells - so you have to watch your recipe's when you change primers.)
Old July 5, 2010, 08:06 PM   #49
SQUAREKNOT

Two years ago I was shooting WLP in .45 ACP and 4.5gr of W231 would flatten them totally. I went through at least 5000 that were VERY soft. I switched powders and primers every which way and now I will use any primer except the WLP in .45. The problem might be the fact they are
"FOR STANDARD OR MAGNUM LOADS" so they are maybe a bit hotter?
I stay away from any Federal because I use a Lee Auto prime and if one
detonated the whole tray will go. Lee says NEVER USE FEDERAL in the auto prime but they are very good primers other wise. Its just the primer mixture is super volatile