The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1
PCJim

Hornady G-RX Sizing Die ?

Has anyone any experience with this die? Care to comment on it's use?

I just acquired a 40S&W, having previously stayed with 9mm and 45acp for all my autos. The mindset beforehand was partly consolidation of calibers and partly to avoid the unsupported chamber issues that were associated with the caliber. This pistol was a good deal that came along at the right time. Besides, it gave me an excuse to begin using this brass that I've been picking up and storing away.

All the brass is range pickup, so it's anyone's guess as to whether it was shot in an unsupported chamber. I have yet to come across any visually noticable bulges. The Lee dies that I used to resize the first lot of reloads did not reach to the bottom of the case (as is common with most resizing dies). This G-RX die is marketed to remove any bulges. (Note the name reference - Glock Prescription) I suppose I'm still a bit concerned with the potential risk of a weak bulged case, even though the reloads will not be full power.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
jepp2

I was intending to buy one, when they became available. But I haven't yet...

I have resized around 12K of 40 S&W range brass. None of that brass exhibited the "guppy belly" pictures I saw one time. Those appeared to have been seriously overloaded, and I wouldn't resize those.

What I do find, is brass that has a very slight swell that starts about 3/16" up from the base (it is just beyond the unsupported cutout). It is where the brass case transitions from the thick base portion to the thinner case wall. It is only on one side, and it about 90-120 degrees around the case. This is due to the generous chambers that Glock and some other pistols have.

When using a Dillon carbide die, my failure rate for not passing the Lyman cartridge gauge was higher than I liked. So I switched to a Lee carbide die. Now I rarely have a case that doesn't fit the gauge. I also have a Lee Undersize carbide die from EGW. I will use it on the brass that doesn't pass the gauge after the normal Lee. I resize on a Dillon RL550, and the Dillon die has a larger radius that prevents it from sizing as far down the case.

If I only loaded for one pistol, I would just use the barrel as my gauge, but I load for various 40's, and some have aftermarket barrels that have much tighter chambers than the "generous" chambers I mentioned. YMMV
Old January 17, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
SL1

Has anybody measured case length

after sizing in one of these dies? I am wondering if they cause case length to grow? If so, I am wondering if they might lead to case head separations if used repeatedly on the same cases.

SL1
Old January 17, 2010, 11:29 AM   #4
spencerhut

You do not have buy that, you can get better results with the Lee FCD as shown in this video I did a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PszuLwEu8

The Lee FCD has a carbide sizer, the Redding G-RX is plain old steel. Read some reviews and you will see complaints about having to lube & clean the Redding G-RX. The Lee FCD could care less about lube, though if you feel like it, a lite dusting of One Shot does make it go smoother.

It's your money . . .

Last edited by spencerhut; January 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Grammer, lack of