The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
williewonka

Would like advice on Lee loadmaster.

I have years or experience using a single stage RCBS press. and I am now considering using the Lee Loadmaster progressive press. If the primer feed is flimbsy why don't people just us a hand primer to prime the sized cases. I realize this is a different step but it does work and is fool proof. After the brass is primed you are ready to load.

Is my thinking logical???? I just want to speed up the loading process from single stage. I can prime anywhere doing anything, very straight forward.

I would like suggestions on where to buy a new Lee loadmaster. If someone has a used on for sale then send me a private message.

Let me know your thoughts.

willie
Old January 15, 2010, 05:47 PM   #2
rwilson452

I have a loadmaster and find the primer feed to work well when prepped and adjusted properly. the primer trough must be absolutely clean and free of burrs. Keep the trough full. The loadmaster press is very sensitive to proper set up. once set up correctly it will run smoothly. as to using a hand primer you an do that but your adding extra steps in the process. that is not what you get a progressive for. If you want to go the hand primer route you would be money ahead getting the Lee turret press.

Quote:
I have years or experience using a single stage RCBS press. and I am now considering using the Lee Loadmaster progressive press. If the primer feed is flimbsy why don't people just us a hand primer to prime the sized cases. I realize this is a different step but it does work and is fool proof. After the brass is primed you are ready to load.

Is my thinking logical???? I just want to speed up the loading process from single stage. I can prime anywhere doing anything, very straight forward.

I would like suggestions on where to buy a new Lee loadmaster. If someone has a used on for sale then send me a private message.

Let me know your thoughts.

willie
Old January 15, 2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Citywaterman

Where to by the Load Master

I suggest Kempf Gun Shop to buy a new Load Master. http://www.kempfgunshop.com/
They are available on a lot of the online sites, MidwayUSA etc. but if you want good friendly customer service from a family owned business, give Sue Kempf a call.
I would also suggest visiting http://www.loadmastervideos.com/ for all the information you need about the Load Master Press. They have some excellent set-up videos and any questions you have are answered by reloaders who specifically load with the Load Master.
I agree with RWILSON452. Using a hand primer with a progressive press defeats the purpose. You may want to consider the Lee Classic Turret Press. Shoot straight and shoot often. Take care,
Citywaterman
Old January 15, 2010, 07:21 PM   #4
williewonka

many thanks.

How does the lee pro 1000 compare with the load master, better primer feed???
willie
Old January 15, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
dfe2240

Look at the Hornady LockNLoad progressive. Mine runs great. I had occasional problems with primer feed when I first got it, but once I got everything adjusted it has been trouble free.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:07 PM   #6
rwilson452

I have never owned the 1000 I do recall some have had real issues with it. The Loadmaster when set up properly is a great press. I have loaded 1000's with it with no issues other than running out of components. That is not the fault of the press but my inattention to feeding it.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Nate1778

Wideners has them as cheap as I have found new. I love mine, just got in from loading 300 .38's in roughly an hour, neigh a hiccup except a stupid .22 shell in one of the casings. The primer system works, like they said above make sure its burr free and polish the top of the primer set. I have loaded roughly 3000 rounds on mine thus far and am still on the original components. Visit Loadmaster zone to see setup and tip videos. Never used a 1000 but caliber changes, specially between primer sizes gets relatively expensive from what I hear.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:48 AM   #8
sc928porsche

If you get the loadmaster, be sure to go to the auto store and pick up a pt. of STP. Be sure its STP and not something similar. You will need it to lube the case inserter. The pt. will last you many years.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:03 PM   #9
45Colt_Man

I went from a Pro-1000 to the Loadmaster. The Pro-1000 gave me fits with the primer system so I removed it and use a hand primer. When I got the Loadmaster the first thing I did was remove the primer system. So I don't know it was any better than the Pro-1000. I enjoy loading the primers by hand gives me a chance to check each case and flashhole.

Dana
Old January 16, 2010, 12:47 PM   #10
williewonka

I agree that is my back up plan should I get unreliability from the primer setup stage.

Another major question. I have lee carbide dies already for one pistol caliber the other caliber dies are RCBS carbide. Since the Loadmaster drops the powder through the die I guess I will have to buy another set of Lee dies to replace my RCBS dies.???????? I know I get a set of dies but besides that.

Suggestions
willie
Old January 16, 2010, 12:51 PM   #11
rwilson452

The only die you would need to get is the powder through the expanding die.

I have a separate powder measure for each set of dies.

Quote:
I agree that is my back up plan should I get unreliability from the primer setup stage.

Another major question. I have lee carbide dies already for one pistol caliber the other caliber dies are RCBS carbide. Since the Loadmaster drops the powder through the die I guess I will have to buy another set of Lee dies to replace my RCBS dies.???????? I know I get a set of dies but besides that.

Suggestions
willie