The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2002, 08:04 PM   #1
jjmorgan64

Win 94 hot loads

How hot of loads will a Win 94 in 45 Colt, I don't say long but that would make an excelent thread, take?

Will they take the Ruger only loads with no problem?

I assume they will but wanted to ask, the whole better safe than exploded thing you know.

JM
Old May 24, 2002, 10:11 PM   #2
Byron Adams

I loaded mine using Ruger loads and was pleased with it. the Hornady manual 4th Edition gave good data with the 250 grain XTP.
Old May 25, 2002, 09:07 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I feel you'd be okay, all other factors being equal - - -

Please note: This is a single source only. I trust the information below.

Speer Reloading Manual Number 12 shows---
SAAMI standard maximum loads for .45 Colt at 14,000 copper units of pressure (cup.)
Their "Ruger and Contender ONLY" .45 Colt loads run up to 25,000 cup.

Same source, .44 Mag loads, max allowable pressure 36,000 pounds per square inch (psi), NOT cup. Sorry, I don't have the psi/cup conversion at hand.

And, their load data for .30-30 Winchester do not exceed 38,000 cup, tested in a Winchester Model 94.

All the .45 Colt cal. Win 94s are of recent production, so you're not dealing with old fashioned metallurgy. I can't picture USRA/Winchester producing a WEAKER action for .45 Colt than for their .44 Mag and .30-30 arms. Knowing the above, I would feel comfortable using any load I'd shoot in a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero in a factory chambered Win 94.

You're right, jj- - - It only costs a little time to ask--Better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps your peace of mind.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old May 25, 2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Rick R

I have a Winchester 94 and a Ruger Vaquero in .45. The Ruger loads bulged in the web area when fired through the Winchester. Apparently the Winchesters have a reputation for oversized chambers. I didn't have any problems with merely warm Colt loads, it was the 300gr JSP at 1200 fps that were iffy.

My buddies Rossi Puma m-92 clone does much better and is a bit more classy to boot.

YMMV

Rick