The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2002, 03:16 PM   #1

Reloading??????

Hey guys, how goes it? Got a couple quick questions for ya.

I know how the reload guides tell you not to use a different bullet than they use in their info even though it is the same weight (such as using a Speer 150 instead of a Nosler 150)? Is this true, or are they just trying to cover themselves? Would really like to know.

Also, can you substitute a hotter primer with one that isn't as hot(such as replacing a magnum Fed 215 with a not as hot magnum CCI) without changing the load any? Thanks a lot!-Ben
Old May 18, 2002, 05:03 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Every bullet has a (slightly - perhaps significant) bearing surface, hardness, lubricity (ease of sliding through the barrel) - lots more, which may effect pressure, accuracy - all kinds of stuff.

Any time you change even one component (& to be really anal about it = different lots of powder, primer brass, etc.) - you should alway sback off the recommended 10% of max & start all over. Yup, it covers their butt, but yers too.

See above re hotter primer.

You'll get more "conversation" on this one, I betcha.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:19 PM   #3
Jeeper

labgrade said exactly what I would have. I rarely load at max anyway so changing between components is not that big of deal to me. Loading near max has never got me the most accurate results except in my 225.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:49 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Yep
See above.

Sam
Old May 19, 2002, 08:08 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Agree with all. I rarely if ever load to max. Guns last longer, powder lasts longer, and bullets always seem to make it to the targets in good time.

One thing to keep in mind when using different bullets of same weight, mostly with rifle bullets, is the OAL with respect to the ogive. If you tune your rounds for your rifle so that they are slightly off or barely touching the lands, changing bullets with a longer ogive can be interestin'. So in that respect, what the manuals say is not CYA, it's fact.