The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 23, 2021, 04:38 PM   #1
longrangeshooter

Walther P22 question

Afternoon everyone,

I've been lurking around here for the last 6 months or so and finally decided to post a question. I've been around shooting most of my life and while I don't hunt often if at all I enjoy shooting just for fun. I was at the last gun show I've seen since Covid started causing all this trouble and a Walther P22 caught my eye. Thought about it for awhile and ended up paying what I thought it was worth. It's been a lot of fun so far and has been trouble free. I've only been using generic ammo, nothing special but it runs well. It came with a laser attached and it is accurate out to 15 or 20 yards anyway. My wife and I have gotten into RV-ing and I thought this might be a reasonable backup to the 1911 that travels with us but would be less likely to get us in trouble in some of the more left leaning states. There is normally a 12 gauge at hand as well especially if we are boondocking. I've seen references to the P22 indicating there were problems with frame cracking in the earlier versions. Mine appears to have been used a bit and shows no signs of this but I wonder what I can load it with and not ruin it. What is good for self defense or pest dispatch without having to worry about damage to the gun? I have other .22 rifles and a couple pistols other than this but none have a history of this kind of problem. Thanks for any insight.

LRS
Old October 23, 2021, 06:33 PM   #2
cavediver27

CCI MiniMags should be fine since they are the gold standard for reliable cycling in .22 semi automatics. I would avoid CCI Stingers and similar hyper velocity ammo if you’re worried about frame cracks or other damage.
Old October 23, 2021, 10:24 PM   #3
pelo801

The slides are made of some form of Zamak. I believe that no matter what ammo you use, it will eventually crack. Mine went about 14k rounds before it cracked. Sent it to Walther and they replaced the slide. The second one went about another 5k before it cracked also. They replaced that slide also but it was sold at that point.
Old October 24, 2021, 12:10 AM   #4
Calisnaps

Wasn't the frame but the slide that cracked on mine, after around 2350 rounds.
Old October 24, 2021, 12:20 AM   #5
AzShooter

I give mine a steady diet of CCI Mini Mags and the occasional desert of CCI Stingers. It has not had any problems. The newer models aren't supposed to have the problems from years ago.
Old October 24, 2021, 05:54 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

I would contact walther (AKA smith and wesson) and see if there were any recalls for your serial number. I had to send a different model walther back years back. They paid shipping both ways and fixed the recall for free. Other than that avoid ultra high velocity stuff and you should be good to go for long time. the P22 is a fun little gun, enjoy.
Old October 24, 2021, 06:40 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I would contact walther (AKA smith and wesson) and see if there were any recalls for your serial number. I had to send a different model walther back years back. They paid shipping both ways and fixed the recall for free. Other than that avoid ultra high velocity stuff and you should be good to go for long time. the P22 is a fun little gun, enjoy.

I think Walther is actually doing their own service now at their setup in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I also used S&W for service on a Walther and it was just as good as your experience. I hope it’s still as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2021, 08:10 AM   #8
wild cat mccane

S&W & Walther ended in 2012. S&W was only the importer. The only thing S&W ever made was the PPK and their own slide/barrel for their SW99.

Walther made the M&P 22 for S&W.

My P22 from 2007 manual says to use high velocity.

Metal really doesn't matter in this argument. The SR22 which copies nearly all of the P22 had big problems at the start with the steel slide stop vs the aluminum slide.

I don't doubt people have had problems with the slide, but...I think you'll be okay.
Old October 26, 2021, 07:54 AM   #9
RUT

You might want to look at the PPQ 22 instead. My 5" model eats anything I throw at it.
Old October 26, 2021, 09:26 AM   #10
gwpercle

Thinking about what you said about being armed in a more left leaning state and having something that would be more "agreeable" to some states "approved " handguns ...
I would think that a nice Single Action revolver like a Ruger Single Ten or Single Six or a Single Six Convertible 22LR / 22 Magnum might be a good choice .
Single Actions aren't looked on as too evil and loaded with CCI Stingers or 22 Magnums that can realy up the ante on the power and effectiveness card .
And you won't have to worry about anything cracking !

Remember ... Never pass up a great excuse to buy a new gun !
Gary
Old October 26, 2021, 10:40 AM   #11
hub1home

CCI MiniMags. That's the only .22lr that I will shoot in any .22lr.
Old October 27, 2021, 10:26 AM   #12
longrangeshooter

Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to put this one in a carry bag that lives in my truck. It's sort of an emergency bag in case I get stuck on the road somewhere, clean socks, some water and a little food. I have that because I've been stuck in bad weather once or twice and it sucks. I'll add some of the recommended ammo along with it. I'll probably pick up a Mk IV to put in the RV.

LRS
Old October 28, 2021, 01:36 PM   #13
jackstrawIII

I saw my friend crack the slide on his P22. It flew back and took a chunk out of his safety glasses. Scary.

That said, I've shot many more that have had no problems. Just wear your glasses when you shoot...
Old October 28, 2021, 07:08 PM   #14
Forte S+W

It wasn't the frame, but the ZAMAK alloy slide that was cracking, and that issue has been addressed in recent years by them merely making the slide thicker, and the recoil spring lighter. You still hear about it from time to time, but everytime it's an older model that predates the changes.

Also, the P22 is backed by Walther's Legendary Lifetime Warranty™ so even if your P22 is a used older model and the slide cracks somewhere down the line, they'll replace the whole gun with a newer model that won't crack.

So don't fret, shoot your pistol and enjoy it. Also, while .22LR is far less than ideal as a defensive cartridge, it has worked before, and is most certainly potentially lethal, so it'll do in a pinch, but if you've got or otherwise can get something chambered an inherently more reliable centerfire cartridge, then you should do so.

Last edited by Forte S+W; October 28, 2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old November 2, 2021, 02:07 PM   #15
doofus47

I tried a few different manufacturers and weights of 22 when I first bought my Walther P22. CCI Mini-mags have been the most consistent by far.