The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 8, 2021, 09:43 PM   #101
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Re post #5 this is likely the referenced thread. I know of no thread over there making any reference to a member being murdered at a range or otherwise. I would be curious as to a link of the incident.

The latter more addresses people out shooting in the desert.

Here in Ohio I shoot at a private members only range which is pretty well monitored. I have no reservation with leaving gear on the bench during a ceasefire for target changes. If I did I would be looking for another range to shoot at. I shoot to relax and enjoy and somehow keeping a constant vigil of my back seems to deter from why I am there in the first place. While I agree with situational awareness I also try not to place myself in certain situations.

I remember one day after rifle I wandered down to the short range for some handgun. Wow, I was now the owner of a Sig P220 and a nice stapler. Took them over to the range office and a day later got a thank you from a member. No reward necessary but it got me making sure I never leave anything behind.

Ron
Nope, that's not it.

The member's name was "The Preacher" or something similar. He was clergy. His sister logged in a month or two after he died to let the Forum know he'd been murdered. The thread was AT LEAST 12 years ago.

I'm pretty sure there's a reference to the killing in the thread you linked to
Old June 22, 2021, 09:39 AM   #102
7.62 man

I think the best way to prevent this is situational awareness.
Be aware of what is going on around you & your own vulnerability.
Don't take all your guns to the range at one time, only get one gun out of your vehicle at a time. Make sure you can pack up & exit fast by cleaning your guns at home.
Old June 22, 2021, 05:31 PM   #103
FireForged

If a person is alone as well as involved in a "task".. I wouldnt count on much in the way a "situational awareness". Sure, a person should pay attention and paying attention can certainly foster the opportunity to detect danger BUT lets be realistic. Having a good handle on what is going on is hard enough when you are devoting 100% of your efforts toward meaningful observation, much less when you are involved in the task of firing a weapon at a paper plate.

I dont go hunting alone, I dont go swimming alone and I dont go to the range alone.
Old June 22, 2021, 05:57 PM   #104
TunnelRat

Protection From Theft/Ambush While At The Range

I agree having multiple people for lookout is an advantage. I generally don’t have an option these days to go to the range with someone else. Most of my friends and I all have young children and our schedules rarely if ever line up, especially as some of us work weekends. Those that don’t have kids are most often busy with the fairer sex. I’m lucky if my wife or immediate family can watch our kids to give me time to get to the range, but that leaves them occupied and frankly most of them have no interest in shooting. I do make sure people know where I am, when I left, and when I plan to return, though I understand that in an ambush situation that is only useful after the fact. The range does have cameras and locked gates, which might serve to dissuade someone. In the end I go alone and I accept the risk associated with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 22, 2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old June 22, 2021, 07:59 PM   #105
Carl the Floor Walker

I spend a lot of time in the woods hunting, scouting and hiking. Go pretty far back in. I only want to go alone. That is one of the joy's. My club range is fairly isolated, and I love to go in the winter. Most times I have the range to myself. I actually check out the weather. If it is going to rain, snow, or just cold, those are the days I will head out. Most people do not want to be outdoors at those time.
I feel safer in the woods alone than anytime in the city. I EDC all the time, so I will just have to rely on myself. If I go down, at least it will be doing something I love doing.

The woods and swamps are just woods and swamps. The City is a Jungle. And full of predators.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 22, 2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old June 22, 2021, 08:55 PM   #106
FITASC

Man, what type of ranges do you guys go to? Public ranges here folks are friendly, not looking to rob one another.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 23, 2021, 06:56 AM   #107
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Man, what type of ranges do you guys go to? Public ranges here folks are friendly, not looking to rob one another.
Not all ranges are public some, are Private and some are not in the city but in rural areas. And can be isolated with Police a good distance away and yes as I mentioned you can be alone. Mine is actually in the woods semi remote. About 5 miles from the nearest very small town.
Friendy? Heck they are not all friendly and you watch you back anywhere. Especially Public ranges even indoor ranges. At our local indoor range at the store front, a guy grabbed a AR on a special display on the counter and took off. Dumb S*** was on video and even signed his own name at the counter to shoot at the indoor range. You never know what the Public has to offer. Especially when ranges get very busy. I do not even shoot at the local indoor ranges on weekends. (Pre riot days)

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 23, 2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old August 5, 2021, 12:35 AM   #108
Ignition Override

Apparently thieves know when a remote gun range is unoccupied, drive back out and watch for a car to approach. etc. Or cruise by at random times and get lucky.

They probably learn the best tactics & procedures while 'doing time' in County or State Prisons.
Old August 5, 2021, 05:20 AM   #109
ejfalvo

Son and I went desert shooting in NV a few yers back - primarily ARs. When we'd go down range to change out targets he'd use one of those cables (from a clam shell lock box) to secure the firearms to the portable shooting bench. Someone could still steal the ARs but would have to drag the table with them.
Old August 5, 2021, 10:41 AM   #110
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejfalvo View Post
Son and I went desert shooting in NV a few yers back - primarily ARs. When we'd go down range to change out targets he'd use one of those cables (from a clam shell lock box) to secure the firearms to the portable shooting bench. Someone could still steal the ARs but would have to drag the table with them.
Why not just take the ARs with you?
Old August 5, 2021, 11:17 AM   #111
ejfalvo

We were shooting multiple guns - awkward to carry >4 firearms down range.
Old August 5, 2021, 05:04 PM   #112
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejfalvo View Post
We were shooting multiple guns - awkward to carry >4 firearms down range.
I was thinking more along the lines of AT LEAST one as a DETERRENT
Old August 6, 2021, 09:18 PM   #113
FireForged

Quote:
really man, have you never pulled on one of those cables?
Old August 7, 2021, 01:39 AM   #114
Lima Oscar 7

Observations from a former hunting guide:

Assumptions are deadly; literally with firearms.

Never be in a situation where you do not have constant control over a firearm at a range or hunting venue. Either lock the ones not being used up or have a buddy with you watching your 6.

When shooting around others you don’t know, observe them for a while before you become engrossed in punching holes in paper or popping steel.

Observe others you don’t know in the staging area before you get to the range.

Don’t be bashful. If you witness unsafe practices, firmly but tactfully call then out.

Make your intentions known so that others around you are aware of what you are doing. FIRE IN THE HOLE.

Range time is not chit chat time or show and tell time. Focus.

There are 50 of us on the Mountain. We have a small gated range. I rarely go to public ranges. Some ranges are now appointment only.

I always have a handgun concealed when using any range. While living in one of the largest cities in the nation, we had instances where individuals committed suicide. I never witnessed but one who will take their own life has no problem taking yours.

Last edited by Lima Oscar 7; August 7, 2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old August 7, 2021, 09:51 AM   #115
Mulebuk Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
I'm also thinking about taking my Ruger LC9 and keeping it in my pocket as a back up.

What security measures do the cognoscenti take while shooting alone

The backup gun is just smart and yes in the pocket not visible in anyway.

I don't have your fear because I never take multiple guns. (I don't own multiple) I onw a pocket 9mm and my single shot shotgun.

First rule of order for me I never go to indoor ranges, I shoot primarily on BLM land and I go early and get out early. You will never find me shooting past 8 am. And no way would I ever be out at dusk.

The 3 biggest dangers are desert shooting, the glades down in Florida and indoor ranges. People get jacked in the parking lots for their guns the other places they'll just kill you and take them.

Where I shoot I'm not all that concern about it. Bottom line pick and chose carefully.
In the past I have belong to private gun clubs that where fence in with a locked gate and noted under surveillance so that everyone knew and if they are out of the way the better.

Shooting with a friend would be good and don't ever let anyone handle your guns, they can look with their eyes only. And as mention keep the chatter to a minimum and always as mention listen to your gut, if something doesn't feel right get out.

Even shooting with a friend is no guaranty as Chris Kyle and friend discovered.
However our biggest fear is not taking a nut-job to a shooting range but the harden ex-cons roaming around looking for guns to steal and they will kill you in a heartbeat.

Those so called 'good old days' is more myth than anything, however it's definitely no longer grandpas America.
Old August 7, 2021, 11:36 AM   #116
Lima Oscar 7

Agreed on the instinctive cues: Body language. If you’re out at an outdoor public range alone and a person or group rolls up setting up right next to you instead of on the opposite end, that’s your first red flag.

The last time I went to a public range this happened to me. Three individuals would have gotten right up in my personal space had I allowed it. I saw them coming in the parking correctly judged what they would do and fleeced my gear up as they were approaching and didn’t hang around.
Old August 8, 2021, 05:53 AM   #117
rkbanet

Personally I would never even think about shooting alone. I am not all that concerned with being robbed. I am however concerned with having an accident and being; injured.