The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 11, 2021, 10:42 PM   #26
HiBC

I spent many years working in Manufacturing. My good fortune was I was hired as the R+D Model Shop gopher. My job was to do any job that freed up a more skilled and expensive machinist.
And,anything the Boss needed done.
Which was a great opportunity to advance. And I did.

My company offered an education benefit. Some used that to advance.

But if you have 800 or 1000 or more production workers....Fact is,there will not be opportunities for all of them. Some may go from assembly,to material handling,to warehouse and shipping. Some may go to molding. Some may go where the company needs them.

But whether you are installing a part,or some screws, or packaging a product,
or screwing barrels in receivers...
Modern manufacturing is not done with Artisan Skills. They do not want a stroke of your file in a production environment.
They want you to "follow the process", using qualified parts ,on qualified machines.
Your rate of production should fit "statistical process controls"
And your labor cost is in the business plan,which includes "What will the Customer pay,and be happy?" You get your work order done,you will log 5.4 hours to do Operation #4 on a lot of 66 parts,and one part went to scrap because you saw casting porosity. Or, You failed to follow the process!

Flipping a burger,or installing grip screws,or barrels in a Savage Rifle, amounts to a certain "Value Added" .

No matter what a "Living Wage" demands, there is only so much "Value Added" to a burger flip. So the wage tops out.

Try paying attention in school.Learning. Get a Degree in something that provides more "Value Added" than Angry Social Justice Warrior.

Or learn to finish bathrooms. There is Truck Driving.

I guess I'm saying,the worker has to target the right job. Installing the Grip Screws on the Ruger Blackhawk line might get your foot in the door,but its not necessarily going to be the stairway to a rewarding career .

Last edited by HiBC; October 11, 2021 at 10:49 PM.