The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 29, 2021, 08:59 PM   #1
jsflagstad

Savage Model 99 Info??

Hello guys, I have in my possession a Savage Model 99 in 243win that belonged to my late father-in-law. It has Serial# 007816 and all I can find is "This is a Savage 1895 made 1896 - 1897" on one of the serial # search sites.

My question is, if the date of manufacture is truly before the turn of the century and the 243 win didn't exist until 1955, what could be the story? Was it maybe a rebuild / re-barrel? Also has what looks like a "C" with an "11L" inside of the "C" on the lever boss.

So what do I have? Is it anything real special? Approximate value?

It is in very good condition and has an older Leupold 1.5-7x scope on it.

Thanks!

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old September 29, 2021, 09:55 PM   #2
105kw

It sounds like you have a 1895 commemorative rifle. If so it was made in 1970, for the 75th anniversary of its introduction
Some photos would be nice.
It should have a 24in, octagon bbl.
The serial number should be follow by the letters "AS"
It was made in 308, on a current model 99 action. My books say 308 was the only caliber.
It also have a stock medallion on the right side.
As for value, in 1970 it sold for $195. Now, I can't estimate price, I would like to see it.
Old September 30, 2021, 04:39 AM   #3
jmr40

I found this. There should be a letter prefix before the Serial Number.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Firearm-Dating

Winston Churchill
Old September 30, 2021, 04:50 AM   #4
105kw

Could you provide a full description, or better yet photos.
The 1970 vintage commemorative 1895 had a brass Lever, straight stock, and brass butt plated Cresent stock.
The Lever code you gave is 1960, which would be a Pistol grip, curved lever.
Without more data, it sounds like somebody modified a commemorative into a custom rifle.
Old September 30, 2021, 06:13 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Given that it's chambered in .243 it is decidedly NOT an authentic Model 1895. Those were chambered only in .303 Savage and would never stand up to the pressures generated by the .243.

I agree that it's most likely one of the 75th anniversary of Savage commemorative rifles.

Most of those were chambered in .308, I believe, with a lesser number chambered in .243 and possibly a few other chamberings.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 1, 2021, 01:19 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
NOT an authentic Model 1895. Those were chambered only in .303 Savage and would never stand up to the pressures generated by the .243
Agree it could not be an original 1895. from what I understand, even if the original 95 (which became the 99 with a slight redesign) would take the pressure (and it probably won't), when Savage put the .308 Win family of cartridges in the 99 the "stretched" the action about 1/4" in order to lengthen the rotary magazine so they would fit.

There's very little "extra" room in the 99's rotary magazine, and I suspect a pre-1950 rifle wouldn't work well (if at all) rebarreled to .308 or .243, with factory ammo. You probably could get one to work with the original shorter magazine, with handloads, seating bullets deeper to fit the existing magazine space, but why would one bother??

Your rifle, as described, doesn't fit anything in the reference books correctly. The serial number given doesn't match either the regular numbers or the commemorative rifle #s, having neither a prefix letter or suffix letter code. Did you perhaps leave those out not realizing they were part of the number?

A few questions can help pin things down a bit. First, w here is the Savage name on the action? Top of the rifle over the chamber?? of on the side of the action??

Where is the safety? on the top tang of the action? Or on the lever???

Does it have the regular rotary fixed magazine? or is it a regular box magazine and detachable??? Savage has made both types in .243 and .308 Win.

Those basic details will help us pin down the rough era of manufacture.

Would like to help but need more information to give a good accurate response.