The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 2, 2021, 07:13 AM   #1
jdc606

Mix Goex with Pyro P?

I have 2 powder flasks. One full of Pyro P the other with a couple shots of Goex 3f remaining. While using up the Goex, no doubt I'll end up with a squib load at the end. Will it be OK to top off the cylinder chamber with some Pyro? Or should I just mix the remaining black, (approx. 25grs) into a pound of Pyro P?
Can't bring myself to just dump the Goex but don't know when or if I'll ever buy anymore as I have 5 lbs. of Pyro P to burn through.
Old May 2, 2021, 07:37 AM   #2
noelf2

Pyrodex and BP are chemically very similar. Nowhere near as dangerous as mixing smokeless powders. Still, I wouldn't mix it in. 25 grains of leftover BP is not worth considering, IMHO.
Old May 2, 2021, 09:03 AM   #3
rodwhaincamo

25 grns is hardly a squib load. If you’re wanting whatever your full load is just top it off with P. Duplex loads are used sometimes in flintlocks.
Old May 2, 2021, 09:25 AM   #4
Hawg

You're calling 25 grains a couple of shots? It's my normal load for a .36 and 5-10 grains short for a .44 load.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:52 AM   #5
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
You're calling 25 grains a couple of shots? It's my normal load for a .36 and 5-10 grains short for a .44 load.
Have settled on 25 grs for my .36's also. Figure I'll get 1 or 2 full power loads from what's left of the Goex but most likely end up with half a charge when the flask runs dry. Probably top that chamber off with the Pyro P or pull the cylinder and dump the little bit of Goex into the Pyro flask. Can't bring myself to waste powder just dumping it on the ground.

Thanks to all for your replies. I thought I had read suggestions of priming Pyrodex loads with a little black powder.

Have a friend who is trying to duplicate .44-40 loads. 40 grs. of Goex 2F chronos too slow while 3F is too hot. He's thinking of blending some 3f with 2F to match early load data. Yes... he could load 1 more grain of 2F or 1 less of 3F but he is a stickler for authenticity. I only mention him as he is the fussiest smokeless powder reloader I know but is not afeared of possibly blending black powder. I suppose he could buy a higher grade powder to better match black from the early 1900's.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:07 AM   #6
Jim Watson

A friend had a flask of mixed black powder and Pyrodex, courtesy of a loan to a klutz, which shot great. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old May 2, 2021, 06:19 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc606 View Post

Have a friend who is trying to duplicate .44-40 loads. 40 grs. of Goex 2F chronos too slow while 3F is too hot. He's thinking of blending some 3f with 2F to match early load data. Yes... he could load 1 more grain of 2F or 1 less of 3F but he is a stickler for authenticity. I only mention him as he is the fussiest smokeless powder reloader I know but is not afeared of possibly blending black powder. I suppose he could buy a higher grade powder to better match black from the early 1900's.
How does he get 40 grains of 2F in a 44-40 case?
Old May 3, 2021, 09:49 AM   #8
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
How does he get 40 grains of 2F in a 44-40 case?
He's using .45 Colt cases in his attempt to replicate .44-40 ballistics. I know... so much for "a stickler for authenticity." But he's having fun. When you're just punching paper, a person needs to find experiments to keep things interesting.
I always shoot 60 rounds whenever I take a percussion revolver out. The weather needs to be perfect or I don't go. Really enjoy the time outside at the range with the slow pace of percussion revolver shooting.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:52 AM   #9
KEYBEAR

Years Ago a good Friend I shot Trap With also had a large Gun Shop .
He had a old powder keg and if anyone traded in reloading stuff with powder he would dump the powder in the old keg . He used that powder to load his Shotgun shells he shot trap with it for years . He was a good shooter and i never seen a problem with his reloads .
Old May 3, 2021, 09:19 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fellow had trouble with igniting his pyrodex pellets. We used a priming flask to drop a few grains of 4F down the nipple before he put a primer on it. It went boom every time.

In theory it can be done, but I wouldn't outside that limited application.
Old May 7, 2021, 03:42 PM   #11
Savvy_Jack

Compressing it works great. So easy, even a caveman can do it!!
Old May 7, 2021, 03:48 PM   #12
Savvy_Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc606 View Post
Have settled on 25 grs for my .36's also. Figure I'll get 1 or 2 full power loads from what's left of the Goex but most likely end up with half a charge when the flask runs dry. Probably top that chamber off with the Pyro P or pull the cylinder and dump the little bit of Goex into the Pyro flask. Can't bring myself to waste powder just dumping it on the ground.

Thanks to all for your replies. I thought I had read suggestions of priming Pyrodex loads with a little black powder.

Early dissected 44-40 cartridges yielded a "sporting" black powder that resembles a mixture of FFF and FF.

One can compress 40gr by weight of a quality black powder such as Swiss FF into modern brass such as Star Line. Velocity is good but I have not been able to replicate original 1,325fps with it.

Check my tests results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=598633334
Old May 8, 2021, 09:23 AM   #13
jdc606

Thank you Savvy Jack,
I have forwarded your test results and .44-40 history website to my friend.