The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1
C7AR15

What press will do this...

I am looking for a solid single stage press, that will allow me to put in the resize/ deprime die and has a tube feed priming tool attached.

I want to be able to sit down and resize and prime a ton of brass which I will use at a later date to add powder and bullet.

What's out there?

Ps: I don't want to move to a progressive press
Old March 11, 2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Carriertxv

Hornady Iron press will do what you want but seeing as you are in Canada as well be prepared to pay.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Iron-Press
Old March 11, 2017, 03:12 PM   #3
dahermit

A used RCBS Jr. if you can find one, would do what you ask. They came with a priming system that used tube magazines for priming. The RCBS Jr.'s have a short stroke which to me, is more convenient, but still has enough mechanical advantage for the tasks you describe.
Old March 11, 2017, 03:18 PM   #4
GCbroker

Lee Classic Single Stage is a great press. I highly recommend. Collection tube attaches to the bottom of the ram. Spent primers fall through and into the tube.

Wayne
Old March 11, 2017, 04:47 PM   #5
MislMan

I use my Lee Classic turret press. Remove the actuator rod for manual operation and operate only at the first station/die. This station removes primer and sizes cases on one stroke (handle up stroke) then insert primer using the attached primer feeder (100+ capacity) and then seat primer on the handle downstroke. Remove primered case for future powder loading & bullet seating.
Old March 11, 2017, 04:54 PM   #6
FITASC

+1 for the RCBS Jr. I have been using one for over 35 years to do exactly what you want to do. I resize, deprime and reprime at one time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2017, 07:23 PM   #7
ed308

That's exactly why I bought my Iron Press. I use a Dillon 650 so I wanted something similar for priming and loading my .308 bolt and 270AR. I tried several single stages presses but didn't care for the priming system or doing it off the press. Tried the Iron Press and decided to keep it. The primer feed system works similar to a LNL or a Dillon. Loads accurate ammo too. No complaints. But if I find a used Dillon 550 press at a great price, I'll buy it and use it as a single stage press. Dillon's press quality is better than Hornady IMO. I guess that's why I'm still looking to pick one up for a deal.
Old March 11, 2017, 09:28 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Redding Big Boss, Big Boss II, and T-7 presses are capable of attaching their automatic primer feed mechanism.

Older RCBS Rock Chuckers (pre-"Supreme"/"RCIV") had an accessory primer feed tube available, for automatic feed.
Current Rock Chuckers (RCIV) have a slide-bar primer feed available.
Old March 11, 2017, 09:57 PM   #9
ed308

I think the Redding press is not as fully automatic as the Iron Press. You still have to push the primer in. With the Iron Press, you can put a case in the shell holder raise the ram, decap and size the brass, then bring the ram down and prime the case at the bottom of the stroke. Not sure you would want to do it that way, but you could. I usually decap and size my brass, tumble the lube off, then prime the brass. This is not to imply the Redding Press isn't as good as the Horandy Iron Press. It's a quality press that's very robust.

Last edited by ed308; March 11, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old March 12, 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
disseminator

I agree this is not a good idea OP.

You don't want to prime your brass before it's trimmed and cleaned. The lube can get into the primer and give you misfires.

I love my Redding Big Boss II BTW. It has a tube fed primer system available but would be an additional purchase, though it will still be much less than the Hornady Iron setup.

Edit: or are you talking pistol brass and carbide dies?
Old March 12, 2017, 01:43 AM   #11
HiBC

To just answer your question,I have spent a lot of time running an RCBS Rockchucker. Its a great,bombproof press. In case you don't know,RCBS stands for "Rock Chucker Bullet Swage" This press was designed to be capable of swaging bullets. There is an adapter in the top that makes it a 7/8 14 thread press. That can be removed to accept bullet swage dies. There is also an adapter available to convert it to Hornady Lock-N-Load bushings,I believe. I think the Lee bushing for the Iron press fits,too. That thread was Corbin Swage Die thread.

I personally like the priming feed setup on the old style Rockchucker. It works.Some other mfgrs have come up with other systems to be different.I have not had good luck with them.
However!! Single staging it,I prefer the following process:
1) Universal decap
2)Clean(tumble)
Now,there are decisions. Carbide handgun? different routine,but bottleneck?
3) Lube and size. Now,lube is an issue. I like dry,untreated corncob in the vib bowl I prefer dry,unlubed cases to prime.
4) Now,I have prepped brass. I can sit outside with a bucket and my RCBS hand priming tool.Heck,I could go catfishing and prime brass.
5) Now take you primed brass,a clear,undistracted mind,and just charge and seat bullets.
Pistol brass? Carbide dies,? Repeat 1 and 2,or,just do 2. You want clean.

3) size Change dies to decap/bell Decap,bell,and prime in the press.

4) Charge with powder,place in loading block,visually inspect powder level .

5) put the seater die in,seat.You have options with crimping.Often,a "step 6,crimp" is good.

I HAVE done a lot of what you are planning,it works.

Bottleneck
1) Lube,size,decap,prime,all at once
2) Charge at the measure and seat a bullet in the press
3) 15 minutes in dry corncob to de-lube

I don't do it this way anymore.I like the cleaning steps. I also like a good hand priming tool. Holds 100 primers,better feel.

With two single stage presses,a powder measure,and about 4 loading blocks,(50 ct) you and a buddy can rock pretty good.

There are a number of good single stage presses. The Lock-and Load Hornady system is practical.You save die setting time. I'm not a fan of the priming system,but as I said,I prefer priming with a hand tool as a relaxing separate operation. Like pitting cherries!

Last edited by HiBC; March 12, 2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old March 12, 2017, 03:05 AM   #12
C7AR15

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

My intent is to use this method with 9mm and .38Spl only

Sort of splitting up the job in two and leaving options open for bullet weight/shape and amount of powder charge.

Rifle rounds I load up using single stage and do most of the process as would a Benchrest shooter. I kinda like the methodical precision of it all.

Always Remember- any thing that needs to be shot , should be shot twice.
Old March 12, 2017, 10:27 AM   #13
rg1

Just a suggestion. Buy a separate priming tool and don't prime with a press. The RCBS Automatic Bench Mounted priming tool is the best method I've used to prime. Wouldn't prime without one. Mine uses primer pick-up tubes. It's faster than priming on a press, better feel, and just the right leverage to not crush primers. You can mount it beside your regular press and prime with it in tandem with your reloading process. Or for small batches you can simply place a primer in the cup rather than using pick-up tubes. Only thing I'd recommend is to add extra shellholders so you can use one in the RCBS Automatic tool and another in your press. You won't be disappointed with the RCBS priming tool especially if you prefer to have primers loaded in a tube.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...h-priming-tool
Old March 12, 2017, 12:34 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

Most single stage presses are designed to do that. Been using a Redding press with the RCBS Auto-primer feed thingy for eons.
That RCBS Automatic Bench Mounted priming tool is $71.99. The RCBS Single Stage Press Universal Primer Arm is $13.29. There should be a large and small primer tube that comes with it. Appears Midway is selling 'em separate.
Old March 12, 2017, 01:46 PM   #15
GCbroker

Completely Made in the USA, The Lee Classic Single Stage Press is perfect for what you want to accomplish.
For $100.00 (on sale everywhere) bucks your doing your thing with a steel body press that's been among the best Sellers for years. No one sells them.
The Classic Turret Press is also a great Press for a few bucks more. This is the press I use to do exactly what you want to do. I use a second drop in turret for my de-priming and swagging in a non progressive turret mode.

Wayne