The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Hunterjim

Neck size problem 300 win Mag

I'm new to reloading. I have cleaned once fired Winchester chromed casings. Resized them FL. The neck measures .331 and all the books say it should be .339. Is this an issue? One problem is that using my Lyman case trimmer sticks in the neck when engaged. I replaced the expander on the die , but comes out the same size. Any help appreciated.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Gbro

Have you checked the setting on your expander? it may be to high up in the die. Have you checked your cases for length before and after sizing? They will be streached out and brass ruined if the expander is set wrong.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Hunterjim

OAL

The oal is 2.630 and will trim to 2.610. I set the deprimer/expander by instructions on RCBS video. I can feel it pass over pat the neck on the way up and down....so I guess I'm confused.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:08 PM   #4
AllenJ

If I'm reading right you are measuring the outside case neck diameter after you have FL sized the case? If so you have nothing to worry about, what your book is saying is that .339 is the maximum width.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Gbro

I still think you have the expander set wrong.
You say you can [feel it pass on the way up and down].
You should not be able to feel an expander enter into the case neck, and when retracting the case out of the die you should actually feel the case come free of the die and then feel the resistance of the expander and unless you have lubricated the inside of the case neck, you should hear that,...well similar to hard chalk on a slate board.
Everything in the RCBS and Lyman resize die instructions are straight forward, with RCBS de-cap pin protruding 3/16 beyond die and Lyman 1/8" but what you are finding seems to me that you are expanding while case is still to far up into die.
Why don't you take the decap/expander stem right out and run a once fired case through the die measuring before and after?
Old January 26, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
shootniron

Quote:
Why don't you take the decap/expander stem right out and run a once fired case through the die measuring before and after?
Very good suggestion.