The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2012, 03:22 PM   #26
capodastro

I have been experimenting with tightgrp and h110 for 44 mag and 500 s&w, and have come to the conclusion that TG is only for target/light loads and I use the starting loads to a couple tenths above. thanks to the gents for their illuminating discourses, which have backed up my assumptions and experiences thus far. It is the only powder I currently use for 45 acp, partly because I bought 8 lbs of it and it does go a REAL long way.
my only other 'problem' with TG is that it may leave more leading around the forcing cone because the cast bullet does not obdurate enough initially or is it too much obduration? Anyway, it is not recommended for cast bullets. any ideas/thoughts?
Old September 1, 2012, 02:07 AM   #27
justsoIcanupvotethis

Thank you for that black mamba and Sevens. That explains it so much better I do understand the difference now. I think anyway. Just needed it explained like I am a five year old. I will break down and try H110 (I am partial to Hodgdon) its just that I already had the Titegroup and have had real good results with it in .45 acp. I do spend more time just poking holes in paper than anything else.

Now for capodastro, the people I shoot with that use lead seem to like Unique. I dont have any experience with it myself but have seen others have some extremely accurate loads with it.
Old September 1, 2012, 04:08 AM   #28
Sevens

H110 (which these days is the same powder as W296) is arguably the -KING- for velocity in magnum handgun rounds and it works incredibly well within the expected pressures. It's a helluva good powder.

However...
I don't use it. Not that it's bad, it surely isn't. It just happens to have a couple of quirks that I don't care for. Enough so that I'll recommend you try Alliant 2400.

H110 & W296 demand a magnum primer because they have a reputation for being difficult to properly light off. That's no big deal if you have magnum primers on hand or don't mind getting them. Me-- I don't stock them. I've got four sizes already and I have avoided magnum primers thus far.

The second thing I don't care for with H110/W296 is that it's not a powder that's at all happy being reduced. It acts wonky much under max and this information is supplied by Winchester & Hodgdon.

2400 (then offered by Hercules, now Alliant) was the go-to magnum revolver powder before the newer powders came along. It's not quite as fast at the very top end as H110 and some of the newer ones, but it's pretty close and you can make fantastic full-bore magnum rounds with it. It's got a nice, honest, smooth pressure curve and it meters well. It's one of the most popular smokeless powders in history. It also does not require a magnum primer.

I highly recommend any new handloader that is ready to graduate from the ultra-fast target powders to try Alliant 2400. I use it in a slew of different roles and it's always performed very, very well for me.