The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 2, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Eagle0711

Help With This Old Scope.....If Anyone Knows

I have a Lyman All American Scope that was probably made in the early 60s. It's a 4x with a Lee Dot.

Can anyone help me with the MOA click adjustments [it doesn't say]. And what is the MOA of the Lee Dot. Thanks in advance for any information, Eagle
Old March 2, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Jim243

Deleted - miss read your post.
Old March 3, 2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Scorch

I believe the Lyman has 1/2" @ 100 yds click adjustments, roughly 1/2 MOA. The Lee target dot is probably 1/8" @ 100 yds, but I am not sure. The 1960s was way before the common use of MOA in the firearms arena, so I doubt if the scope adjustment was ever published in MOA.
Old March 3, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Eagle0711

Scorch, thanks for your help. I believe that you are correct.

I called Lyman when I bought this gun with the scope on it and was told that it was a 4 MOA Dot at 100 Yds. That has to be incorrect because it's much smaller.

On the adjustment clicks there is no information in that area that gives a clue.

I really appreciate your help on this. I will write it on a small piece of paper and put under one of the caps so that I won't forget. Thanks, Eagle
Old March 3, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, back in the day, Lee would install a dot of any size the customer wanted - larger for brush guns, smaller for targets & long distance.

Some scope companies, like Lyman & Weaver, had only certain sizes available, depending upon scope magnification - but anyone could send their scope direscly to Lee for a custom installation.

I've had a Weaver K4 with a fine dot forever, I never bothered to measure - since the dot virtually represents a .22 cal bullet hole, at the distances I hunt tree rats with the rifle it's mounted on.

Last edited by PetahW; March 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM.