The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2009, 09:28 AM   #1
furtaker

case cleaning

I'm thinking about buying a case prep station, however wouldn't your tumbler clean the inside just fine? I realize you still have to chamfer and debur the mouth.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:09 AM   #2
firewrench044

Tumblers clean the outside of the case very well, but will not clean very much on the inside (larger stight walled cases get cleaned better inside
than smaller or bottle necked cases )
I clean the neck area with a bore brush in a drill before sizeing bottle neck cases (dies for bottle neck cases have an expander on the decaping rod)
(this saves the expander from wear) and all cases after case work is done just before final clean up in the tumbler

Ultrasonic or chemical cleaners will clean the inside, but in most loading aplications do not require a case to be that clean
I only clean my long range (ubove 300 yards) match cases to that extent
Old March 4, 2009, 06:56 PM   #3
furtaker

Thanks, I should have read a little further theres plenty of other threads on this subject.