The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 2, 2006, 04:06 PM   #1
101guns

Remington Model 48 Sportsman

I found a Model 48 in 16 ga. today at a pawn shop. The gun is in good mechanical condition, but the bluing is wearing thin on the barrel in a couple spots. Asking price is $110. Anyone have any experience with the Model 48? I took the forearm off and did not see any cracks or chips. My experience only goes back to the 1100's. Thanks.
Old August 2, 2006, 04:23 PM   #2
smooks75

I have a model 11-48 (auto) and love it. It will shoot anything I put in it. I had it shortened to 20in for "riot" configuration just for fun! Parts are hard to find though.
Old August 2, 2006, 04:33 PM   #3
sne7777

I have a sportsman 48 in 16ga. My uncle gave it to me a few years before he passed.
It's recoil operated, parts are getting harder to find. I beleive it went out of production in 1962 or there abouts.
It shoots good, recoil is harder than the gas operated 1100's but managable.
The price seems fair for the condition you stated.

Only problem I had was too much oil on the mag tube after cleaning it. We went to the range and I thought I was shooting a bolt action 10ga. Two shoots was all I could take. Thought something was wrong but found out on this forum that some of these guns shoot better a little dirty. I wiped it down and went back the next week and it worked perfect.