The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2005, 12:48 AM   #1
William_IV

Triming new cases...(Gripes)

Posted Thoughts

I've been loading some new 45acp rounds and so far I must admit. The case triming is probably the most tedious of all the processes. I'm using a RCBS Trim pro. and man my hand is just about falling off. From case to case there is slight variation in length depending on how hard and how many times you cranked the handle, this is not good! The die/shell holder is spring loaded and very temperamental. I must say, after a few hundred cases you get pretty tired of placing the shell in it's holder. You can set the cutters to cut to desired length with 10 cranks of the handle or 20 cranks (and a lot of hand pressure) For 70.00 bucks you'd think you'd get better prformance!

I thought of getting an attachment to hook the Trim pro up to a hand drill. Yet still i've got the shell holder with the bow flex action to worry about . Should I waste my time trying to modify this? and risk destroying this product or could it work better for me? Hmmm... i've got a drill press perhaps I could put it to good use. What if take this baby apart? Here we go again, this ain't the first time i've gone down this road...(You should see my table saw). If I took the Shell plate handle off and turned it 180 and reinstalled the handle then it would work great in the vertical position. The green base has two screws holding the assembly. If this part was discarded, I could then mount the trimmer to my press, and the case holder to the drill table(The latter i'm still working on). One could then use the drill press stop and the nice adjustment screws on the cutter. This setup should work much faster and hell of a lot easier. If this doesen't work I could still put this thing back together. And go back to the dreaded RCBS pencil sharpening method.
Old August 25, 2005, 01:58 AM   #2
NorWestr

I gave up on my Trim Pro a long time ago,but what I did was just toss the handle and replace the machine screw with a hex head screw/bolt to fit a socket on my electric screwdriver. I'v since went to the Wilson trimmer and am happy not to have to deal with the phony shell holder and all those teeny allen head adjustment set screws. For pistol cases I just use the Lee Cutter and Lock Studs chucked into my drill. Fast & easy!
Old August 25, 2005, 04:46 AM   #3
steveno

the 45 acp is one of the least likely candidates for case trimming. it is a waste of time in my opinion
Old August 25, 2005, 06:26 AM   #4
Dave P

I have never trimmed 45 acp. Save your energy for something important.
Old August 25, 2005, 07:01 AM   #5
Steve in PA

I've never trimmed any pistol brass and I reload .380, 9mm, .357, .44mag and .45acp.
Old August 25, 2005, 07:56 AM   #6
RERICK

Lee cutter

I use a Lee cutter for all my cases.They all get trimmed to the correct size and if you use it with your drill it takes no time at all.
Old August 25, 2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Russ5924

I also agree have never trimmed a .45 acp case or .38 special
Old August 25, 2005, 09:01 AM   #8
moredes

I've never trimmed *any* straight wall case.
Old August 25, 2005, 09:30 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I can see trimming as a part of getting the absolute best accuracy, where uniformity and repetive lockup conditions are important.

Since the .45ACP headspaces on the case mouth, as long as the pistol locks into battery, it's properly headspaced and all's well.

Art
Old August 25, 2005, 05:04 PM   #10
steveno

in a 45 acp I think the extractor probably has more affect on how the round headspaces than the chamber
Old August 25, 2005, 05:57 PM   #11
Dave R

Willilam, I share your pain. But I agree, I have never trimmed a pistol round. .45, 9mm or .380acp for me.

However, I once trimmed 100 .284Win brass that had been resized to 7.5 Swiss. With a hand trimmer. Took way too long, and left me with Popeye arms.

And you know what, I have the power drill attachment for that trimmer. Next time...
Old August 25, 2005, 06:26 PM   #12
William_IV

OK... thanks all!!
I guess 9 out of 10 posts pretty much tell me that case trimming on straight walled cases is really not that necessary. I think i'll bypass this step. In fact since i've got 100 rounds trimmed and loaded. I think i'll load 100 new rounds without trimming, and compare the two out on the range.

This should Settle the issue.
Old August 25, 2005, 07:05 PM   #13
steveno

I think it will take more than a test of a couple of hundred rounds to prove if there is a difference. it won't be much if any
Old August 26, 2005, 12:03 AM   #14
NorWestr

OK,I guess maybe I'm a little anal about it,but I'v been handloading rifle rds longer than handgun and I carried it over from there. I wouldn't think of opening a new bag of rifle brass and start stuffing them without trimming if necessary,mainly because I don't have any control over what was done(or maybe not done) at the factory. Not arguing,as I said I'm certainly less experienced at this than many here.
Old August 26, 2005, 01:13 PM   #15
virginia scout

trimming

I to have done rifle for years and I do trim everything. I use a lee trimer in a hand held power screwdriver. Works like a champ.

I to questioned the straight walled pistol cases. Did a few, read a few posts, stopped doing it and have never looked back. Pretty much a waste for straight walled pistol. Still shoot just as good.

I do do all rifle cases.

Here is the rig I copied and believe me this is easy and simple using this rig.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jesse99/trimming.html

Its the only way to go. Been doing this way for 10 years or so. I cut a v notch where the inside reamer is and use the rcbs inside and outside champher tool. Just do a quick rotate and inside and out are done in 1 revolution for each.
Old August 26, 2005, 10:14 PM   #16
William_IV

Virginia Scout

Thanks for the pictures that does look like a really efficient system. I thank you! Perhaps when I get into rifle cases i'll do a setup like that. Hell the walnut would even match my bench. (you can see in my other post)

Take-Care
Old August 27, 2005, 07:41 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

without a Ransom Rest

I am unable to prove trimming aides handgun-cartridge accuracy, even at extended distances.

That said, there have been certain cases (oh, I'm still killin' meself) when I've trimmed cases, like African-animal-defense ammo or such.....
Old August 27, 2005, 08:51 AM   #18
Zekewolf

Like so many new reloaders, I bought trim equipment for straightwall handgun reloading. Fortunately, I came to my senses pretty quickly, and haven't expended my time so foolishly since. I use a lot of range brass when loading .45ACP. Other than chunking the offensive headstamps, eg., Amerc, I just mix 'em in with my brass supply, tumble, and reload. Tens of thousands of rounds later, no problems, and I sure don't notice any accuracy deficiencies.

.45 ACP cases shrink, rather than grow, in my experience.
Old August 27, 2005, 11:39 AM   #19
CaptainRazor

The only reason I have found to trim pistol cases is to make them all the same length. If you're not having crimp problems, don't worry about them, just load them and shoot 'em.
Old August 27, 2005, 02:59 PM   #20
virginia scout

I solved the crimp problem by using a lee carbide factory crimp die in station 4 of by dillon 550. Not only do I get a good crimp but it does a final size check. I have not had need to use a chamber gauge since. When it comes out of the crimp die it will fit into thee chamber.
Old August 27, 2005, 08:08 PM   #21
impact

Pretty much the only time I trim cases is when I have to cut back some wildcats that I made up.
Old August 28, 2005, 08:49 AM   #22
WESHOOT2

virginia scout

Not always; just yours.

I gotta Nowlin nine so tight-chambered cases must either be new, or fired from it, to fit back in. I got no die sufficient to resize cases enough. I got dies, even 'U''s. Once in a while I get lucky and some other case will fit....