The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2004, 07:24 AM   #1
pwiz

Dillon Press, 223 caliber

I seem to not be able to prevent powder spillage using my 550 for 223 cartridges. Tried tapping, checking the case mouth/drop tube fit, slow operation/faster, nothing seems to work. I am using varget powder but had the same problem with Ball C.

Any sugestions???

paulwiz
Old October 28, 2004, 05:10 PM   #2
J. Scott

I will assume that your not overfilling the cases(too much powder) Is the powder die set all the way down then backed out 1/2 turn while the ram is all the way up? how much powder is spilling? I have a 55oB I will go down and see what I can figure out. Did you buy this new, with the instructions? Also Dillon has a good trouble shooting site on-line
Old October 29, 2004, 07:07 AM   #3
pwiz

Dillon 550, 223

Yes, no overfilling; yes, linkage is set correctly for full operation; yes, 550 bought new.

My only problem is with my 223 cartridge. Powder spillage is minor but anoying. I believe the case mouth fit in the drop tube is the problem???
Old October 31, 2004, 08:56 AM   #4
Jake 98c/11b

I hate to mention the obvious but have you called Dillon? I have always been impressed with their service folks.
Old October 31, 2004, 12:16 PM   #5
pwiz

Dillon 550, 223

Yes, I have been in touch with Dillon several times now. In our last contact, they may have found my problem with a small space in the powder measure drop tube. I'll see how that works out.

paulwiz
Old November 2, 2004, 08:38 PM   #6
taliv

if your bench isn't sturdy enough, the spillage could be from the powder jumping back out of the case if you jerk the handle a bit for the sizing station. i had that happen and found that the screws holding the press to the bench had backed off.

another problem i had that caused powder issues was a bit too much lube. i run a pipe cleaner up the powder die about every 30 rounds now, just for good measure (no pun intended).

(i also noticed this happens only on 223 and not other calibers for some reason)
Old November 3, 2004, 02:41 AM   #7
xmastree

Not rifle rounds, but I have noticed that when I load my super .38 with my 550, if I turn the plate quickly, the powder can jump out a little as it snaps into place. I could put the head on the case before turning, but I settle for just turning it slower.

Other calibers are ok (.45, .40, 9mm), just the .38 because the cases are long and thin, so they rattle more.
Also I'm loading 8.5gr (VV3N38) so the case is quite full.

Last edited by xmastree; November 3, 2004 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 3, 2004, 05:47 PM   #8
pwiz

Dillon press 223

I think dillon may have found my problem. It seems in my powder measure the drop tube is not pressed all the way into the measure body. I guess this could create a sort of small shelf where powder could accumulate. Dillon is sending me another powder body, hope it does the job.

And no, I am not spilling the powder in moving the cases around nor by operating too hard, my bench is heavy & sturdy.

paulwiz
Old November 5, 2004, 01:51 AM   #9
xmastree

Quote:
It seems in my powder measure the drop tube is not pressed all the way into the measure body.
With mine, the drop tube can be removed easily, as it's not such a tight fit. If it wasn't fully inserted into the body, loading the first round would push it back into place.
Old November 6, 2004, 09:16 AM   #10
pwiz

Dillon press 223

Dillon sent me a replacement powder measure body, seems to do the job. No spillage noted. The drop tube extends all the way up into the casting.

Dillon is pretty responsive

paulwiz