The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 17, 2014, 03:03 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

So what is it about black powder shooting and M-L's?

Is it the method?

Is it the fact you are loading your "cartridge" with every shot?

Is it the historical aspect?

Is it a cost issue, bits being cheaper and cases lacking?

So why do you do it?

(I'm not really thinking of it, but if firearm designs pre-date the 1890s or something these guns can actually be bought without a gun licence over here!! Not sure if they are legal for hunting though: I think not.)
Old October 17, 2014, 08:39 AM   #2
swathdiver

All of the above, plus big booms of smoke and they are generally more accurate.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:44 AM   #3
DD4lifeusmc

what is it

all of the above plus it makes me be more accurate.
Knowing I likely won't get a followup shot.
Old October 17, 2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Muzzle-Loaders

I think it's a lot of what you mentioned, plus a few other things.

Generally, the black powder seasons are less popular, and result in less hunting pressure. That's a huge part of the appeal to most people. Also, in states with draws, you usually have better odds in a muzzleloader season than you would a centerfire season.

Also, I think part of it is the challenge. It shares some similarities with bow hunting, where you really don't typically have an option of a follow up shot. Therefore, the increased challenge of making that first shot really count is part of the appeal as well.

The appeal of muzzleloader really is different for each person, but this is what I have found that most people enjoy.

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com & www.WaderUSA.com
Old October 17, 2014, 12:14 PM   #5
OutlawJoseyWales

I'm fairly new to this fun world, only been shooting BP revolvers for 4 years now, but the history element is big with me. Although I realize that few of my revolvers are truly historically accurate though.

With my 1st few revolvers I purchased, I loved the fact that they were inexpensive and I could get them in the mail without going through a dealer.

I also like the "complication" of the whole thing. The difficulty of making it work, just seems to add to the charm of it. Every load becomes a unique experience that I'm in control of (well kinda' in control)

When I'm punching paper with modern firearms, after a few minutes of going though a box of shells, it's just not as interesting.

But mainly the history of it all I think, is the real charm.
OJW
Old October 17, 2014, 12:22 PM   #6
maillemaker

I like history and doing living-history things. It's fun to experience what it was like to do things in ages gone by.

I also like BP shooting because it is cheaper than shooting modern guns. The cost per shot is about the same - about $.30 per shot for my Enfield, but the volume of fire is much lower for an afternoon of shooting.

Steve
Old October 17, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
hartcreek

My first hunting was with BP simply because it was the best season. This year I am doing all three because I won draws for multiseason deer and elk. I have been the only person hunting within 12 square miles.

In any case if one does not see legal animals it really does not matter if you are carrying a photon rifle or a single fire pointed stick if you are lucky enough to come across game in the right conditions either will work and there also is something in knowing that you can do that.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

On some level I quite like the idea of the simplicity of them. I had thought that they had special status in the firearms act as not needing a licence but according to the translation I refer to, exemption only applies to guns that were actually made before 1890!!

There is a newer version that has not been translated yet, but this side is something I'd never looked at before. I'd have to have confirmation, but there may have been an amendment that exempts all those using a 1890s design, even if manufactuered yesterday.

Nothing in the hunting law says guns have to be cartridge firing....
Old October 17, 2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Jim Watson

One big driver in the USA is that muzzleloading hunting seasons are longer.

So there are really two types of muzzleloading hunter.

There are the historians who want their guns to look and operate like period pieces. Some will go so far as to dress the part. They like the challenge.

There are the opportunistic hunters who want to take advantage of the longer season. This has given rise to the scope sighted "inline" muzzleloader firing a saboted jacketed bullet with a synthetic black powder "substitute".

Organized target shooting is governed by rules and policies from the parent organization. Some emphasize authenticity, some allow modernity, some overlap. My gunsmith was showing off his new rifle; an underhammer benchrest rifle as was developed in the late 19th century just before breechloaders took over. But he loads it with a Teflon coated patch around the ball.

Casual target shooting is, as usual, up to the tastes of the shooter. But shooting the inline is a relatively expensive proposition. The better fake powders cost more than real black and the sabots and bullets cost more than a lead ball in a greasy patch.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Hawg

History.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Model12Win

It's the history mostly.

That' all I have to say about that.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:41 PM   #12
TemboTusk

To any question regarding why we shoot black power? See signature below!

www.TemboTusk.com
Old October 19, 2014, 08:29 AM   #13
B.L.E.

Why do people still shoot muzzleloaders?
I dunno.
Why do people still hunt with bows and arrows?
Why do people still cook over open fires?
Why do people still sail on sailboats powered by wind?
Why do people get on waiting lists to take a ride on a steam train or a tall ship?
Why do people still use black and white film and develop it themselves?
Why do people still write in cursive using a fountain pen?
Why do people still paint on canvas with oil paints?
Why do people still sew their own clothes or make blankets?
Why do people still ride horses?
Old October 19, 2014, 10:44 AM   #14
deerslayer303

I like everything about it. I love making my own projectiles. And like everyone else its just a challenge and super fun to shoot them.

I personally think INLINE muzzleloaders should not qualify for Muzzleloader and or Primitive weapons season. I think they should be grouped into the Center fire Season. I like them, but they DO NOT present any more of a challenge than my single shot center fire rifle. Just my .002
Old October 19, 2014, 11:58 AM   #15
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer303
I personally think INLINE muzzleloaders should not qualify for Muzzleloader and or Primitive weapons season. I think they should be grouped into the Center fire Season. I like them, but they DO NOT present any more of a challenge than my single shot center fire rifle. Just my .002
I believe that inline and break open "muzzleloaders" would disappear if there was no such thing as a special muzzleloading season.
I remember when there were no special seasons for primitive weapons in TX and muzzleloading was popular in spite of not having a special season. Traditional style guns was all you saw back then. If you wanted to hunt deer with your flintlock, you did it during deer season.
I remember talk about a special muzzleloader only season and I personally was not that gung ho for the idea. I predicted that it would draw people into this sport only as a means to an end, and not because of a love for muzzleloaders. Rather than make muzzleloaders even more popular, I believe these special seasons have ruined the sport of muzzleloading. There is an old saying "be careful what you wish for, because it may come true".

Inlines are the compound bows of muzzleloading.
Old October 19, 2014, 12:31 PM   #16
ofitg

Quote:
So why do you do it?
One thing that appeals to me is the ability to make my own powder and percussion caps.
Old October 19, 2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
I believe that inline and break open "muzzleloaders" would disappear if there was no such thing as a special muzzleloading season.
They have pretty much disappeared in MS where a primitive weapon can be a scoped single shot breechloader cartridge rifle with smokeless powder. The H&R Handi Rifle is king of the primitive weapons now. I'm not crazy about it but it has gotten rid of the absurd inlines.
Old October 19, 2014, 01:26 PM   #18
B.L.E.

Quote:
They have pretty much disappeared in MS where a primitive weapon can be a scoped single shot breechloader cartridge rifle with smokeless powder. The H&R Handi Rifle is king of the primitive weapons now. I'm not crazy about it but it has gotten rid of the absurd inlines.
I think they ought to instate the "Barney Fife" rule. You can use a breechloader but you can only carry one bullet.
Old October 22, 2014, 08:30 AM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's more challenging to shoot a patched RB rifle than a cartridge gun.
Old October 22, 2014, 03:56 PM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Got bored with modern rifle & pistol hunting. {Not in any way bragging about my skills. But. > Just got to be too easy for me to kill any game large or small with either weaponry in my hand/s. And that becomes >BORING!! to a fellow like me.

Time to try pulling a bow was my thought. The 2 or 3 deer seasons {and a whole lot of practice time spent daily} hunting with a bow became fun & productive. A big 6 point & a medium size doe as I recall were harvested._ But those bugs were overwhelming gents. Far too many for my liking. Ish!!__Soooo.

Later that same Fall I hung out at my hunting shack for a couple days during one of this States first B/P deer season openings. Just a coincidence my being there. {Only drove up to the cabin with the idea in mind to close it down for the winter.} Funny thing though?
I only heard two shots during the short time I spent there. {Knowing that so few B/P hunted in those days >especially in my area. Was indeed a interesting & pleasing thought.}

I was immediately hooked, lined & sinker'ed on the idea to give B/P target shooting & deer hunting a try the following year.

(No more rookies. No weekend bushwhackers. No more sound shooters around to worry about and those other guys who know their way around in a forest without ever having the need of a good compass unintentionally walking by or underneath my stand.)

"Yup!! I always had someone traipsing thru or wondering around during modern rifle hunting season having that wonderful No Compass needed ability and YES they did occasionally ruin my hunts." as they knowingly or not? were on private & posted land.

"But I seen the light!!"

Finally piece & quiet in the woods while B/P hunting was in the back of this fellows mind. Yesiree!!

I didn't know what B/P caliber was best or which brand of rifle to purchase. Only one inline was being talked about in those days. {Tony Knight was just starting out down in Iowa.} Traditional side lock shooting was the usual back in those days.

A close friend and co-worker knew I enjoyed LLBeans Fall hunting catalog and for giggles gave me a year old Fox Ridge Outfitters catalog to read during my lunch period one day. When I got home. That same evening I ordered (5) T/C traditional rifles and their required paraphernalia from Fox Ridge to cover all the base's I could think of. _

I still have all those T/C rifles. I still hunt those same 140 acres and never once have regretted getting involved with smoke pole ownership. Funny thing. I still run into a fellow hunter occasionally looking for directions to get out of the woods with no compass to guide him. I wonder sometimes if their all related?_