The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Tacojohn

Remmington 870 express supermag

Seized up on the third round of 2 3/4 bird shot . Will not unchamber the spent shell. Was brand new out of the box. Any tips or simlilar stories?
Old December 26, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Super-Dave

you must be using winchester ammo,

take a small stick and shove it down the barrel untill you knock the shell out.

George Orwell
Old December 26, 2009, 05:23 PM   #3
TMUSCLE1

You need to either take it apart if it is spent...or schuck the tar out of it. That won't hurt the gun at all. I really believe it is the chamber not being up to spec, not the extractor like most people think.

Yes, mine did the exact same thing. You need to strip it down and detail clean that puppy, then you need to wrap a bronze bore brush with steel wool and put on a dremel or drill and polish the chamber. After all of this go run tons of ammo through it at the range or while shooting sometype of sporting clays. It also doesn't hurt to just schuck it while empty to wear it in a little while you sit and watch TV etc.

This is exactly what I had to do to my 870 Express Super Mag. I detailed cleaned it before I shot it, but it still hung up while I was at the range. Unfortunately you have to do this to a new gun, but afterwards it should run perfectly.

Don't thank me, thank Hogdogs...he told me to do all of the above and my 870 has been flawless since.

Last edited by TMUSCLE1; December 26, 2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old December 26, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4
noyes

If new Was gun cleaned before use ?
Old December 26, 2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Did you follow the instructions in the manual before firing?
Old December 26, 2009, 10:14 PM   #6
jmr40

I had the same problem. Mine needed the chamber polished and the problem went away. Based on my experiences, and the number of posts with similar situations this problem seems more common with the 3.5" chambered supermags.
Old December 27, 2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Big Bill

You should always clean a new gun before you shoot it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old December 27, 2009, 02:07 AM   #8
colostomyclown

"here's a 375 dollar gun. It is a great, time-tested design. However, these days it's picky about the ammo it shoots. You should still consider it above reproach."

- Remington

in all seriousness, it's not just the Winchester loads. I actually had a Wingmaster that did it with the Federal wallly world rounds as well. I'm not turning this into a Remington bashing thread, but I do think it needs to be stated that it's ridiculous that excuses are made for it. Remington needs to rectify the situation. Period. How many times a day are these threads/topics made qand mentioned on the forums? Multiple, daily. Maybe the Winchester stuff is a little hinky. So? It's cheap low base target ammo. My Mossbergs have NEVER locked up like my Remingtons have. EVER. That's pretty alarming and irritating in a gun you'd rely on for defense or to put food on the table.
Old December 28, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
TMUSCLE1

Quote:
in all seriousness, it's not just the Winchester loads. I actually had a Wingmaster that did it with the Federal wallly world rounds as well. I'm not turning this into a Remington bashing thread, but I do think it needs to be stated that it's ridiculous that excuses are made for it. Remington needs to rectify the situation. Period. How many times a day are these threads/topics made qand mentioned on the forums? Multiple, daily. Maybe the Winchester stuff is a little hinky. So? It's cheap low base target ammo. My Mossbergs have NEVER locked up like my Remingtons have. EVER. That's pretty alarming and irritating in a gun you'd rely on for defense or to put food on the table.
I agree...but I have already bought it and shot it multiple times before I did this.

Has this affected my decision to buy another Remington shotgun? Of course, unless it is a nice looking USED wingmaster or older express.

I will probably buy Mossberg from now on because of it.

Has anyone had this problem with cheap ammo through any of their Mossbergs? Serious question, because I'm wanting to put one on layaway.
Old December 28, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have never seen nor heard of mossberg or even mavericks doing this...

I am sure it has happened with most makes and models at least once.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 01:11 PM   #11
TMUSCLE1

Quote:
I have never seen nor heard of mossberg or even mavericks doing this...

I am sure it has happened with most makes and models at least once.

Have you ever had a shell come out of the tube? I have read that a common problem of Mossbergs is that they don't hold their shells in the tubes and also that they have bad magazine springs.

I want a shotgun that I don't have to do anything to it before I clean and shoot it. I didn't do my research with my Remmy, and I have paid the price in headaches, lost time, and short range sessions because of malfunctions.(At least I'm good at malfunction clearance now...I almost look like I know what I'm doing! )

The problem I've had with my shotgun is the most common problem on this site and many others regarding the Remington 870 Supermag, hell Brent, didn't your own son have the same problems?
Old December 28, 2009, 01:24 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Never prematurely dropped a shell out of the mag... Never had a bad spring issue...

There was a run of springs that seemed to be bad near a year ago but since then, I have not seen posts reporting it again...
c-clown had one with a bad mag spring back then.
Brent
Old December 29, 2009, 12:30 AM   #13
AZwarts

I just got an 870 super mag and when I got it, it was filthy. as soon as you take it out you should clean it thouroghly