The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2009, 03:28 AM   #1
djb_249

a better way to unload ammo???

I foolishly loaded 100 rounds of 22-250 thinking that it would shoot fine in my rifle only to find out that I was "oh so very much wrong". so i bought a inertia puller only to find out that it will not pull a .224 bullet very well. So i ventured down to the local gunshop to buy a collet bullet puller. My only problem is that it crushes my 55 gr. v-max bullets when it pulls them out. Is this normal? If I don't put enough pressure on the collet it won't pull the bullet. Is there a better system out there?
Old June 30, 2009, 06:40 AM   #2
VaFisher

Order this one from Midway USA it works great on 22-250

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller
Product #: 215517 | Manufacturer #: 836017
1-800-243-3220
Old June 30, 2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Sport45

Light bullets don't have a lot of inerta when the kinetic puller stops so they don't pull as easy as others. If you crimped the bullets you might try seating them a tad deeper to open the crimp.

Otherwise, just whack away until the bullet moves.

(I'm afraid I don't have experience with collet type pullers, but there may b one out there better than the one you tried.)
Old June 30, 2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Seedtick

I also have no experience with a collet type bullet puller however I've been machining 20+ years so I have a lot of experience with collets. If the collet will open wide enough to allow it - you can wrap a piece of 150-250? grit sand paper around the bullet, grit side toward the bullet, and get a better hold on it. Make the strip just long enough to go around the bullet without overlapping. Maybe this will give you enough grip that you won't have to tighten the collet to the point of scrapping the bullet.

Another 'trick' or two I have used to get a better grip with a collet is to rough up the finish on the collet pads a little with sand paper/emery cloth, just enough to break the 'glazed' finish but not so much as to mar the piece being held. Most of the collets I've used were bigger than .224 but if they were big enough I would take a die grinder/dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and cut serrations (many come like this) into the pads. That works very well if you have the room. The lack of room in smaller collets limits troubleshooting options and unfortunately most bullet pulling size collets are gonna be small.

Again, I have not used a collet type puller but maybe this long winded post will give you some ideas that will help?

ST
Old June 30, 2009, 03:53 PM   #5
VaFisher

Quote:
Order this one from Midway USA it works great on 22-250

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller
Product #: 215517 | Manufacturer #: 836017
1-800-243-3220
If you put some soft tissue in this to protect the bullet and hit a hard solid surface these pop right out.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Sport45

He's already got an inertia puller.

djb_249,

As you've probably figured out, the pulling action comes from the sudden stop. You don't have to swing hard but you have to swing fast if that makes sense. Try standing a short piece of 4x4 up on end to hit.
Old July 2, 2009, 03:49 AM   #7
OkieCruffler

Take your die out of your press. Extend the ram all the way up and use a pair of pliers with the wirecutter area to very lightly grasp the bullet then lower the ram. It takes some practice to do it just light enough to not mar the bullet but tight enough to pull the bullet. Boy do I have practice.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
mongoose33

I think some of the issue w/ an inertia-style puller is what kind of surface you're striking it on.

I strike mine on the end of a 2x4 held vertical on concrete. I also may whack it against the edge of a hardwood benchtop.

I also have a collet-style puller from Hornady which has worked well with all sorts of bullets, .224, 9mm, .45, in both jacketed and lead.

There's a little bit of a feel issue as you close down the collet. I'd adjust it so that either the full pressure is generated by my hand's force on the lever, or sometimes simply so it'll close down tight at full extension.

I'm able to pull even copper-plated and moly-coated bullets with a minimum of or even no damage. It's not 100 percent, but it's well above 80 percent.