The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
cje1980

Winchester 1300 quality?

I'm mainly familiar with handguns as well as lever and bolt action rifles. The only shotgun I own is a Remington 870 which I like. I came across a used LNIB Winchester 1300 for a very good price. Overall the action and fit looks and feels very good. I noticed that it had some type of plastic trigger and was wondering about the durability of this piece. I noticed on another thread somebody said that the plastic trigger was breaking into pieces. Its in 20ga and I primarily wanted it for close range Quail and Pheasant hunting as well as some other small game. I really like how it feels and its very light weight. hat does everyone think about the Winchester 1300?
Old July 29, 2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Keegster

I purchased a winchester defender 18in. last year, 6months before the plant closing. If you are going to be subjecting the shotgun to heavy use then you may want a a metal guard. but otherwise for normal use the nylon trigger guard will work fine and is rigid enough.

I have heard of the guard breaking but this was in cases where there was a new stock(pistol grip)installed that didnt leave enough space between the guard and the grip. but for stock guns there shouldnt be an issue
Old July 31, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
banditt007

I have one and love it.

I did notice the plastic trigger guard and was kind of annoyed by it, but no issues with it at all.

Gun shucks smooth as glass and continues to get smoother as more rounds are fired through it. i'm at about 1300 rounds through it.

Where the barrel meets the aluminium reciever i had the reciever start to 'mushroom' a bit there...think of the top of a well-used tent stake. but its almost as if it mushroomed just to get the pieces to fit together perfectly and then has been the same ever since. a bit un nerveing but i'm sure its fine, i'll keep an eye on it.

Everyone that handles my 1300 likes it.

I bought it for one main reason, it fit me the best.

Tried the 870, Nova, Moss 500, and maybe one other i forget and the 1300 just felt right as soon as i picked it up.

I've had NO malfunctions of any kind on it. just remember it holds 4 in the mag tube, not 5. if you try to fit in 5 there is a chance you will get a double feed type problem.

In short i love the gun. it will just be used as a smooth bore, once i go to a rifled shot gun its going to be a dedicated slug gun.