The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
III-Percent

80% 1911 frames

Sorry - new to the forums so I am not sure if this is the correct place to post. I was curious if anyone has any knowledge of available 80% 1911 frames? I know that there are obviously 80% lowers for AR's, and after a google search I was able to find 80% frames for 1911's but of course nothing is in stock, and the ones that are would be from a website requesting gold or silver as a currency to purchase their products (never heard of that before ).

Having never completed an 80% build of any type, assuming the mag well is drilled, would it be fairly easy to complete an 80% 1911? I'm assuming you would just need to drill out the thumb safety, slide release, mag release, etc. After successfully completing one I think I would make a guide for future frames to make it easier/faster (unless they have those available as well).

I appreciate the feedback.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Most 80% 1911 frames don't have the slide rails cut. It's a little more complicated than drilling a few holes.
Old May 19, 2013, 01:50 AM   #3
III-Percent

Figured it would be, was trying to be optimistic
Old May 19, 2013, 11:13 AM   #4
oldgunsmith

We had a few students that got together and decided to experiment with some 80% frames two or three years ago for a class project. They spent over a year (class time) developing and building jigs and fixtures to finish them out. A couple got ruined along the way, but now they're able to make them work just fine. It, however, is a learning experience. Certainly not profitable by any means.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

oldgunsmith - what school where?
Old May 19, 2013, 07:12 PM   #6
III-Percent

Thanks oldgunsmith - definitely wasn't looking at them from a profit aspect, really just wanted a project pistol, something I could build up over time, make exactly how I want and end up with an heirloom type pistol. Want to try my hand at engraving somewhere down the road as well, figured if I got good enough at it I would engrave the slide and parts of the frame (I'm talking a long ways down the road, definitely not something I expect to get good at overnight). I am going to be attending the Colorado School of Trades here in October, may have to look at it more seriously as a project pistol then. Haven't heard of anyone building one from an 80% frame, figured I would ask around and see if anyone had any experience.

Then if through trial and error I was able to make one of good quality, I wanted to make a few for members of my family. Thought I'd make a Marine Corps themed one for my grandfather and possibly one for my uncle, then one for my father, which would be more of a display piece as he isn't too big on shooting (though if I built him a nice 1911 he would probably shoot it).
Old May 19, 2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

You can't make them for anyone else- just for yourself. Otherwise you are "manufacturing" without proper licenses.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:21 AM   #8
III-Percent

Quote:
You can't make them for anyone else- just for yourself. Otherwise you are "manufacturing" without proper licenses.
Well I would look into the proper licensing and so forth, I am familiar with the laws of manufacturing firearms for yourself - by the time I have the process down and am ready to make a few for various family members I will have obtained the proper FFL to manufacture for others.