The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 14, 2010, 10:32 PM   #26
BILLtheDJguy

Quote:
[xMINORxTHREATx Wrote:]Have a friend put red plastic plates up in front and behind you. Ones with X's (BGs) and ones with check marks (by standers.) Friend shouts "front" "back" or "both."
I like everything but the X's and check marks...In a real situation you won't have these to recognize. Try using a pic of a gun or knife or baseball bat on the BG's and nothing on the IB's...You should learn to acquire the danger, not a symbol...
Old December 15, 2010, 08:20 AM   #27
xMINORxTHREATx

Dwight,
You can definitely use an airsoft gun. Since they don't make a decent one for my M&P, I was leaning towards the bang method.

Bill,
I was thinking that, but I was always told to stay away from leaving the bystanders blank because then you get use to just looking for the drawing period. Ultimately it would be best to use silhouette targets with the black & white photos on them.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:45 AM   #28
BILLtheDJguy

I would make the bystanders look just like the BGs. Simply without the weapon.
Get 3-4 different images of men/women and mix and match.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:05 AM   #29
xMINORxTHREATx

They even have ones with people carrying guns, but holding up a badge as well.
Old December 15, 2010, 12:44 PM   #30
DiCarnage

If you use a shotgun for home defense, you should practice loading a shell through the open ejection port or speed loading if it's a break breech. The steps should be the same for each type of shotgun (open, load, close, fire, eject) until you can do it all smoothly. I like doing these drills with two shells in whichever hand I'm loading with.
You can get 12 ga snap caps, but I prefer using an empty shell because they behave slightly unpredictably and when you get those mastered, loaded shells are a breeze.
Practice loading with each hand and from a variety of positions. You should also practice practice shouldering your shotgun on both weak and strong sides with your hands in both strong and weak positions. (Strong-side strong handed, weak-side strong handed, weak-side weak handed, and strong-side weak handed. Hope that made sense.)
Practicing these hand positions help you work around cover and obstacles.

Happy practicing!
Old December 15, 2010, 04:27 PM   #31
Topload

While I practice the room to room clearing routines and practice how I would / could respond to a BG in the house, the one scenario that always has me stumped is if he enters via the basement. No way to head down stairs and have an opportunity for that first shot. He's got the advantage no matter how I figure on getting to the basement (only one set of stairs in my home). All he has to do is wait me out - maybe using 911 plus locking the basement door is the best defense?!
Old December 15, 2010, 04:29 PM   #32
BILLtheDJguy

My first thought is that you have the high ground and hopefully a cell phone...
Also, depending on how well prepared you may be, tear gas works great in situations similar with no help available or several minutes out.

You could always get one of those shields that SWAT uses...

I would just camp out at the upstairs entrance...Maybe lure him out with a "please go away...we're unarmed"...
Old December 15, 2010, 04:40 PM   #33
m&p45acp10+1

Minorthreat I have good news for you on the M&P. They do not make a good airsoft that I know of. They do however make a good BB gun scaled to the same size that feels just like the 9mm & .40 S&W. It does not have the same weight. However the Grip, and handeling feel as close as any I have handeled. I bought one at a local sporting goods store when I bought my M&P. I think it was around $50. It is CO2. I use it for draw and fire practice in the back yard. (Works good for putting holes in soda cans too )
Old December 15, 2010, 09:42 PM   #34
xMINORxTHREATx

Thanks M&P45!!!! Great news!!!!

As for the basement scenario, if your gonna get a riot shield, just grab one of your M-18's (Claymore mine) and set it at the top of the steps. BOOM done.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:45 PM   #35
xMINORxTHREATx

DiCarnage - one thing im going to start practicing again (I noticed last time at the range I'm getting clumsy) is loading specialty rounds in the shotgun through the breech. I use a pump loaded with high brass buckshot, and my shell holder has four slug rounds and two bean bag rounds. If I need to switch to slugs I pull the action back, flip the gun on its side to get the buck round out, and put a slug in by hand.