The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 13, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Ruger 22/45 + Can

To have the factory barrel threaded for a can, which barrel length is recommended? My local shop has the 4" bull barrel model, and 5.5" Target Model. I thought 4.5" was the max length you want to go to keep standard and high velocity ammo subsonic. Ruger does makes a 22/45 with a 4.5" barrel but it is slabsided. Could the slabsided barrel be threaded as well or do most people go with a 4" bull barrel? I haven't seen any of the slabsided 4.5" rugers suppressed...

Not interested in an after market barrel.
Old December 13, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
David Hineline

The Ruger I would find an older MKII but when I do a 4" Bull I internal thread the barrel and add a thread extension rather than moving the site base back. There are plenty of std. velocity brands out there that will cycle the Ruger so a longer gun is not the end of the world.
Old December 13, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Or an integral suppressor/barrel unit... They look like a regular long bull barrel.
Brent
Old January 1, 2010, 07:22 PM   #4
busted1200

From SRT's website. Would highly recommend them. They converted a 22/45 for me years ago and it's been great.

Our Sound-Master Ruger MkII is available in several configurations. You have a choice of either stainless steel, or blued/molycoted finish, and with suppressor tube lengthsof , 6.2”, 6.5”, 7.1” (standard) and 7.8” ,as measured from the front of the receiver.

The longer the tube, the greater the suppression. The 7.8” tubes have a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of about 112 db with high velocity ammo. Each increment of shorter tube length adds about 2-3 db to the SPL. Thus if you want maximum quiet, the 7.8” tube would be best. If you want easiest to carry, yet still be comfortable to shoot without needing hearing protection, the 6.2” tube may be for you. All .22 tubes are 1” diameter. A suppressed MkII weighs about the same as a 5.5” regular bull barrel MkII

http://www.srtarms.com