The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1
sdcchas

CCW Questions

I've only been shooting for a couple of months but am tempted to obtain a CCW permit. I guess my motivation is to just have incase I feel the need.

My questions are really for people who have had CCW for a while. When do you actually carry? Do you just keep it in your car glove box loaded? Do you carry it with you often in public places? What do you do when you are going to an establishment that does not allow concealed carry or to a place that is unlawful to carry (schools, bars, etc)?

I guess my last question is how do you carry your firearm? Do you always need a jacket of some sort? Can you openly carry in a holster on your belt? I cannot see wearing a jacket in 95 degree weather during the summer.

I apologize if I seem ignorant in this matter but I truly am and want to hear how people handle this.

Thanks!
Old April 7, 2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Wiskey_33

Read the gun laws from you state. Concealed carry is an option in Georgia, not mandatory, so we can open carry if you choose. That's a different debate in itself, as some people won't open carry.

As far as when/where. Always when legal. I can go into a bar and carry my weapon, given that I am not drinking alcohol. As far as schools and other places that are restricted, I don't carry when I go to them. I rarely go to a place that prohibits me from protecting myself and family.

As far as methods of concealment, there are different holsters for different situations and different firearms. I carry year round, but not the same firearm. Something small and light is good for summertime pocket carry, and larger firearms for the winter since I'm wearing heavier/more clothing. When carrying something too large for the pocket, it's always concealed IWB.

Last edited by Wiskey_33; April 7, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
ar15chase

I carry everywere, as long as it is legal. As far as summer carry goes, I use an inside the pants holster, all you need is a T-shirt to cover the handle of the firearm.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
David Armstrong

I've carried a lot of stuff over a lot of years, and ended up gravitating to small, light, and comfortable. These days I'm as likely to have an Airweight S&W snub .38 in a pocket holster as anything else. when I was younger a full size 1911 or K-frame with an IWB holster was fine. Lots of choices, lots of compromises, and don't let anyone tell you what is best for you other than YOU. I'm HR 218 carry (retired LEO) so a lot of the rules are different, but I tend to carry most of the time where allowed.
Old April 7, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5
marcodo

CCW is more a way of life and attitude.

Once you start and find the right gun and holster you'll feel naked without it.

I will never go back

Kinda like taking the "red pill" in the movie Matrix...once you know the trueth you can't go back
Old April 7, 2009, 11:18 AM   #6
ATW525

Quote:
I cannot see wearing a jacket in 95 degree weather during the summer.
Welcome to the world of guayaberas and Hawaiian shirts.
Old April 7, 2009, 11:22 AM   #7
sdcchas

I agree that it does seem to be a way of life. I did not grow up with guns and knew relatively little about them until I started a couple of months back.

Open carry would be fine with me but sometimes I don't know how people react when they see your firearm - especially people who are anti-gun.

My fiance has a S&W Airweight .38 special which seems like it would be ideal for concealed carry. I like the long trigger pull as the safety. I have a S&W40VE which is bulky and I don't know if I could conceal that very well without a jacket of some sort.

I just like the idea of having the ability to conceal carry when I want to. I was just wondering how much of a pain it is when you cannot bring it into an establishment that forbids it. I guess I can just leave it in the car or something like that.
Old April 7, 2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I carry a Glock 33 IWB. I have no troubles whatsoever. Shorts and a one-size too big t-shirt and no body will ever know it's there. I've had my permit for about 2 1/2 months and I've left the house twice without carrying.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Wiskey_33

Hey Peetza,

I didn't think anyone who lived in NY had any gun rights.:barf:
Old April 7, 2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey Peetza,

I didn't think anyone who lived in NY had any gun rights.

You guys are just saying that to get me fired up now.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Wiskey_33

Quote:
You guys are just saying that to get me fired up now.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

I got my CCW about 3 years ago. At first wasn't sure how much I'd carry but almost immediately it became a daily habit for me. Whenever possible, I carry on my person. In situations where I can't carry, I don't carry.

As far as how to carry, depending on gun size of course, you can get away with carrying in a holster with an untucked t-shirt over it pretty easily. You do have to learn to dress around your gun regardless of carry method but the changes are easy to make.

I highly suggest getting your CCW. You may never need it, but at least you are prepared if you do.
Old April 7, 2009, 01:05 PM   #13
chris in va

I recently lived in VA, now in KY.

In a nutshell, I just leave my gun holstered in the car glovebox if I'm not allowed to carry somewhere enforceable by law.

You'll want to find a gun very slim and small for the summer months. My P11 with belt clip is a prime example. Just disappears even with an untucked t-shirt. You can also do the tucked T with 'hawaiian shirt' deal, and the reason you hear that is the non-geometric print that breaks up the outline of your gun. Just don't let the wind flap it open.

Carry all the time, and I mean that. You don't want to carry off and on, when you *think* you'll need it. Fact is bad things can happen when you least expect it. After a while you'll feel very naked without it, like forgetting your wallet.

Winter months are easier to conceal a larger firearm. I carry my Sig 220 under my longer leather jacket or coat.

BTW it would really help if you posted your state of residence and other minor stats so we can help you tweak the CC experience.
Old April 7, 2009, 01:26 PM   #14
sdcchas

I live in South Carolina. There are a lot of people that have CCW permits here. I have looked up the laws regarding places where I can carry concealed and they seem pretty straightforward. What is not clear is the sign that some business owners put out. I guess it has to be according to regulation in order for them to legally enforce this?

This forum is very helpful.
Old April 7, 2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Check out www.handgunlaw.us It's a pretty good source for all things CCW.
Old April 7, 2009, 02:38 PM   #16
BlayGlock

You should always carry anywhere it is legal. You dont want to get caught with your pants down. And the solution to your probelm about cover garments, get you a nice pocket gun that you can carry in anything, and get you a compact size gun for IWB, though you may have to get pants that are one size to big. From then on it is an easy to answer the "is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" question.
Old April 7, 2009, 02:49 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess it has to be according to regulation in order for them to legally enforce this?
Yep, in some places these signs mean nothing, in other places they can have you arrested for trespassing.
Old April 7, 2009, 02:50 PM   #18
curt.45

Quote:
I carry everywere, as long as it is legal. As far as summer carry goes, I use an inside the pants holster, all you need is a T-shirt to cover the handle of the firearm.

that about covers it.
Old April 7, 2009, 02:54 PM   #19
midiwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcchas
I was just wondering how much of a pain it is when you cannot bring it into an establishment that forbids it. I guess I can just leave it in the car or something like that.
Please don't be so flippant with that point. I don't know about SC, but WA has some very specific points about how a loaded firearm is to be stored in a car; and further points about how having a CPL affects that.

You definitely don't just "leave it in the car...".

In WA state, we have a book from David Workman that gives an excellent interpretation of the laws in plain English and gives sample scenarios on how and what applies. You might want to check with a local gun shop to see if there's something similar available for SC.
Old April 7, 2009, 03:14 PM   #20
Conradm

I just applied for my CWP last week. Lady said it would take the full 90 days so I decided to go out and buy an Uncle Mikes nylon holster to tide me over. Here in Idaho it's legal to open carry and a permit is not required. So I've been doing that for the past week everywhere I go and it really isn't a big deal here. I doubt I'll even CC once I get my permit just because it's getting warmer and I have a full size pistol.
Old April 7, 2009, 03:23 PM   #21
a7mmnut

The first place to start if you're very serious about your rights and being informed on shooting news is the NRA. Right now, you can get a free trial membership, AKA "associate". Other than life and gun insurance, you still get most of the other membership benefits. One is free information on individual states' gun laws--all you have to do is fill out a request. Enjoy, -7-
Old April 7, 2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Japle

Trying to decide when to carry is a mistake. You can't schedule emergencies. You have no way of telling when or if someone will attack you. It's their decision and you have no control over it.

It's like wearing a seat belt. You don't buckle it only when you think you'll get hit.

You have to be ready all the time.

Here's what I carry every day:

For those who care, the ear plugs are for loud environments, not gunfire.
I already wear hearing aids.
Old April 7, 2009, 03:55 PM   #23
Quincunx

(I cannot see wearing a jacket in 95 degree weather during the summer.)

Welcome to the world of guayaberas and Hawaiian shirts.

Or white linen blazers a la "Miami Vice."
Old April 7, 2009, 08:13 PM   #24
rcupka

+1 on the Hawaiian Shirts. I carry an SP101 in an OWB holster almost all the time. An untucked shirt or Hawaiian shirt looks perfectly normal with a T-shirt and a pair of Shorts.

I have carried in Alabama at 100+ degrees and had no issues at all.

Very true that CCW changes your wardrobe

rcupka
Old April 7, 2009, 08:36 PM   #25
chupps

It is very important to secure your gun in your car if you are entering an area that does not allow guns. At least lock it in your glove box. I also have a bicycle cable/lock that I use to lock my gun to a location in my car such as a seat mount or trunk lid. Any effort you make to secure your gun goes a long way in a civil lawsuit if you gun should be stolen. Never leave it lying on your seat.

At first, carrying is a work in progress. The variables are proper gun, holster, body type and clothing. At first I carried my Makarov IWB with a cheap nylon holster. It works fine, but I need to have an undershirt between the gun and my hip. The sights tend to dig into my side. I still carry it in colder weather.

I recently bought a S&W Airweight for pocket carry in the warmer months. Works great.

You do your research, spend money on some things that don't work out for you, then settle into a routine.