The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
TPAW

Reloading: Where to start?

I have never reloaded anything before but would like to reload for my .308 and .223/5.56. How do you recommend I get started, and without going over board, what is considered to be the recommended reloading equipment?
Old September 1, 2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Don H

Quote:
Where to start?
Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum titled "For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"?
Old September 1, 2007, 07:08 PM   #3
TPAW

Don H

Thank you, I will be sure to read the suggested material.
Old September 1, 2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Torch

There is a book called 'The ABCs of Reloading'. I highly recommend it for new reloaders. Here is the Amazon link to it. http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading...8694154&sr=8-1
Old September 1, 2007, 09:54 PM   #5
TPAW

Torch

Thank you.
Old September 1, 2007, 11:04 PM   #6
Sevens

After you've read that and gotten an idea of the basics, feel free to come back to this thread with questions on specific tools you may have. Don't scatter your questions across a bunch of threads, put them here and we can knock 'em out as you come to them.

I highly recommend you visit www.midwayusa.com , and here's why:
They have very good prices and they often have sales and specials. Not everything they sell is rock-bottom in price, but it's typically pretty close. They stock damn near everything you'll need in this hobby, and a lot of stuff you don't. They also don't rape you for shipping and handling, their site is incredibly easy to navigate and very functional, too. (take advantage of keeping a "wish list", it helps to put similar items on the wish list while you decide which of the two or three you'll actually buy) Another asset of Midway are their customer reviews... almost every product they sell has a bunch of reviews from normal folks who've purchased them. The reviews not only tell you if they thought it was a good buy, but sometimes include tips and experience on it's use.

If all that isn't good enough reason to shop with them, they are a damn good bunch of people to deal with. They ship ultra-fast (your stuff goes out UPS the same day you order if it's before 3 pm) and they are terrific to work with over the phone or in the event you have some kind of problem.

No, I don't work for 'em! I've just been buying from for them about 15 years.

When you are done gathering tools (press, dies, scale, etc) and you are ready to buy components (bullets, powder, primers, etc) it makes a lot of sense to visit your local sporting goods joints or gun stores. Powder and primers are hazardous items, so you get nailed with an extra $20 fee if you have them shipped to you. Bullets aren't hazardous, but they are heavy as hell, so finding them locally is sometimes a better deal. (unless you buy in bulk, where you can find some really great deals online)

Last tip: if you find some free time, punch up the search engine on this site. There's a few thousand posts already waiting with a whole lot of insight, and you don't even have to wait for replies to start learning.
Old September 2, 2007, 09:57 AM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

TPAW,

Being one that has always seemed to do things the long, hard, way. I started out with a kit I bought from RCBS and figured, HOW HARD CAN IT BE? After screwing up about 100 rounds of good brass, I figured out that the best way to start, was with a good book.
I strongly suggest that you read all the info you can get, and that way you can make an informed decision.

+1 for Midway. I happen to live in a town where re-loading stuff is available to me, at about the same price as it is from Midway, but they are a good source for reloading if you don't have a shop close to you.
Old September 2, 2007, 10:24 AM   #8
TPAW

Sevens and Wild Bill Bucks

Thank you both for responding. I've used Midway before for some non-reloading items and can agree, they are very easy to deal with. Your information is very helpful, thanks again. I have a lot of reading to do and want to gain as much knowledge as I can before buying equipment and starting to reload. I am not in a hurry. To be honest, the thought of reloading kind of scares me, but I guess knowledge and respect for the hobby will cure that.
Old September 2, 2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

TPAW,

Nothing to be scared of. Its just that everything has to be done in a certain order, and in several steps. If you get your dyes set and your procedures in order, there is really nothing to it. Once your dyes are set up for a particular rifle, you won't have to set them again unless you load for a different rifle. Mostly its just reading enough to know what you are doing, and why, but it really isn't anything you can't manage.
Old September 2, 2007, 05:45 PM   #10
TPAW

Wild Bill Bucks

Thanks for the encouragement! Onward and Upward!........
Old September 3, 2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Linear Thinker

TPAW - seek out a reloader who would be willing to teach you. You will short-cut a lot of learning, and bypass the inevitable mistakes some of which could be dangerous.

Ask at your local gun range, or you can spot the handloaders easily - they are the ones who pick up the brass right away, and use plastic boxes for ammo, not factory cardboard.

Most would be delighted to share the knowledge.
LT