The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2007, 06:21 PM   #1
fisherman66

72 mm objective

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gun_a.../zeiss_051706/

Quote:
The 72mm objective lens of the Victory Divari 6-24 riflescope provides enhanced light transmission.

The riflescope features a 34mm tube, ideal for high-powered rifles. It is recoil proof, nitrogen filled and watertight, with a large exit pupil. Illuminated reticles are standard.

It is available in three options. Price: $3,662
Why would someone buy a scope like this? It's essentially a spotting scope mounted to rings.

Nighttime varmint hunting? You could have a gen II or better night scope for the price.

Anyone have a scope with an objective bigger than 50mm?
Old March 21, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Why would someone buy a scope like this? It's essentially a spotting scope mounted to rings.
Yes. You answered your own question. Having essentially a spotting scope mounted to rings is a *good thing* for ease on the eyes, PROVIDED that weight/size is not an issue. Higher Resolution. Low light transmission during legal shooting hours (yet low light) back in the woods under the canopy. Lack of blackout. It's unnecessary, but easier/fun to use. But you're right; for that kind of dough, I'd get a Gen 1 or Gen 2 night scope, or an Elcan Specter DR instead.

And it's a Diavari, not Divari - their mistake, not yours. I do fail to understand why a 34mm tube and this scope are "ideal for magnum rifles". The larger objective with heavier glass actually means more momentum under recoil and thus more stress on the body/tube - more prone to damage/failure. It's actually more ideal for a medium- or light-recoiling range gun

ATN makes an 80mm scope - ridiculously overpriced. I have a 60mm scope on a .243 - it's for fun - it helps newbies too - newbs have a difficult time with eye alignment & blackout - this helps to make their first scoped rifle experience positive.
Old March 21, 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
fisherman66

At some point the benefits from a large scope start to become negated by the side effects. The rise above bore axis and weight are the primary disadvantages, but I'll admit those are problems for hunters, not paper punchers typically.

Leupold has made improvements with their new line of large objective scopes (VX-L - I think). I really like the large objective for dusk/dawn hunting, but I think 72mm is a bit excessive. JMO, but I am interested in hearing other perspectives.
Old March 21, 2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Fat White Boy

If I had a .50 cal Rifle and wanted to really reach out, I might buy one...
Old March 21, 2007, 09:46 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I admit I have a slight case of GCSS (Giant Cheap Scope Syndrone), for my fun range guns - I'm refraining from opening a new thread on this subject until I've taken photos of groups with the rifle/scope combos, proving that they can perform, which I will do. This is the scope I have on a 26" rem sendero bbl / mauser 98 hybrid in .243:

http://binoculars.com/products/barsk...cal-45759.html

It actually seems to be a lot of scope for $300. Side focus. 30mm tube. 60mm objective. Mono-body construction. Fully multi-coated. I.R. Mil-dot. Comes with flip-up caps & sushade. I let you know after I've wrung it out.
Old March 21, 2007, 10:03 PM   #6
fisherman66

I love the review it got from a purchaser:

Quote:
Rock solid - Miro Valent
I was wanting to fit my .300 win mag with a good German sniper scope for a long time but just never had that much cash sitting around to spend, so it was with some doubt that I placed an order for this Barska model. After zeroing in I put it to the test on a Kangaroo scraching himself 550 meters away, I turned the bullet drop compensater to the apropriate setting and lowerd the rifle on its bipod, the roo droped like a sack of potatos. Now that's beter than estamating a hold over any day. The scope does all that it should with only slightly less lens clarity than my German made Docter 3-12x56. Still to be tested over time and targets but this scope looks good.
I wonder what 'roo tastes like.
Old March 21, 2007, 10:16 PM   #7
skeeter1

Quote:
I wonder what 'roo tastes like.
Probably like everything you've never tried, someone will tell you "It tastes just like chicken."

Getting back to the matter at hand, a 70mm scope is going to be VERY heavy. I have a pair of 11x80 binoculars for astronomy and double-duty for spotting at the range, but only when mounted on a camera tripod. They're too heavy for me to hand-hold. I should think a 50mm scope objective would be enough.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:09 PM   #8
Zak Smith

Generally as power goes up, the exit pupil shrinks to 2-3mm at the max power. For this scope, it looks like you can still get an 8mm exit pupil at 12x or a little above.

The 34mm tube increases strength but also increases overall erector assembly travel, which means you get more clicks of elevation before it stops.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:23 PM   #9
Dave Haven

12X with a 72mm ojective will give you a 6mm exit pupil.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:27 PM   #10
Zak Smith

Woops, you're right.

That's still 44% more than I get from a 3-12x50mm S&B.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:51 PM   #11
el Divino

Quote:
ATN makes an 80mm scope - ridiculously overpriced. I have a 60mm scope on a .243 - it's for fun - it helps newbies too - newbs have a difficult time with eye alignment & blackout - this helps to make their first scoped rifle experience positive.
how does your ATN works on the field? I was considering in mounting one to a 300 win mag
Old March 22, 2007, 01:17 AM   #12
FirstFreedom

Mine's not the ATN - it's the Barska linked to above in post #5 - haven't had it long enough to really evaluate it yet.....
Old March 22, 2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My first-ever scope was a Weaver K2.5. Later on I went to a K4. I horse-traded into a Vari-X II 3x9, and ever after was pretty happy. Back about ten years ago, from curiosity, I got a Simmons 44Mag; 3x10x44. It works okay, but doesn't do anything for me that the 3x9 didn't.

So by and large I'm uninterested in "bigger" or "better" than the old Vari-X II.

My basic limit is 500 yards. I don't shoot long-range targets or benchrest competition. Seems to me that's the arena for very-high magnification and large glass.

, Art
Old March 22, 2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
Why would someone buy a scope like this?
Because at 24X, a 50mm objective scope can look pretty dark. I'm sure a 3mm exit pupil sounds like plenty, but it would be like a 9X scope with a 27mm objective.

Quote:
It is available in three options. Price: $3,662
I am sure I don't own a rifle that costs that much, so I doubt I will ever own a scope that costs that much.
Old March 22, 2007, 03:52 PM   #15
fisherman66

Prairie dog hunting in low light?